Thread: Going primal on foreign soil page

Avalon is offline Junior Member

Going primal on foreign soil

Primal Fuel
    Hello (finally!) to the rest of the primal community. Finally gotten up the the commitment to shout out here and learn more about the people eating and living and playing like they should all over the world. And considering my isolated little piece of it, I'm excited to use the internet to make that world shrink a bit.

I'm a hypo-thyroid (Hashi's) six-foot tall redhead who loves to dance and wears shoes far too infrequently in summer. I've been struggling with my weight since I was very young, mostly because of boredom: food has always been fascinating to me, and still is, but I have been learning over the past three to five years to revel in the joy of good quality food instead of simply interesting flavors. It is much more fulfilling to enjoy the bounty of the earth in a meal than just the way it tastes.

Also? I am trying to go paleo in a country obsessed with high carb and high sugar snacks, whose traditional diets focus mostly on rice, and who are entirely insulted if you refuse to join them for dinner, cake, or incredibly over-sugared coffee. I am teaching in South Korea for a year, and in that year I plan to retake control of my health in the face of social and cultural pressures with the help of this community and the literature I've gathered on eating paleo. Please return your seatbacks and tray tables to their upright and locked positions, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

I'm very pleased to meet you, especially if you are a Grok-er on foreign soil like me. Advice is always welcome, and new friends doubly so. Grok on.
    If you want to reach the end of the trail, first you must find the beginning.
    If you want to be strong enough to walk the trail, trust your feet.
    If you want to go fast, go alone - if you want to go far, go together.

6'0" white female, age 24
    Pre-paleo: 247.8 lbs
    Current weight: 212.8
    Goal: 199.9 (and to rock a two piece bathing suit surfing in Costa Rica this November!)

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Good luck on your ride. Do the best you can and enjoy the year.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Quickdraw is offline Member
    I'm having some similar experiences as my deployment takes me around southwest Asia and the Middle East: these people all love their rice. How are you finding Korea other than the food oddities? I have other friends over there, or who've been there, and it sounds like a real culture shock.
    About Me | Journal: "Grok: Deployed"
    "Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James Mattis

Avalon is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    How are you finding Korea other than the food oddities? I have other friends over there, or who've been there, and it sounds like a real culture shock.
    It's taken a bit of adjusting time, but this isn't my first dog and pony show in another country. Though I admit, usually I settle into a place in about a month (Ecuador, Spain, Germany were all pretty easy) I keep running into the so-called "western wall" in a lot of social interaction.

My big issue is that as a teacher I'm expected to participate in the social activities my schools put on for the rest of the staff. Most of these involve food, and 90% of that food is grain of some kind. These people love their rice, bread, and sugar, and it's really insulting to refuse food!

Where is your current deployment? Any thoughts on how to artfully avoid the rice monster?
    If you want to reach the end of the trail, first you must find the beginning.
    If you want to be strong enough to walk the trail, trust your feet.
    If you want to go fast, go alone - if you want to go far, go together.

6'0" white female, age 24
    Pre-paleo: 247.8 lbs
    Current weight: 212.8
    Goal: 199.9 (and to rock a two piece bathing suit surfing in Costa Rica this November!)

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Ahh the ROK! I am marrid to a Korean, and lived there for 8 years over a 12 year period from 78-90, all in Seoul. I would suggest trying to eat just Korean food and limit your rice intake to one bowl. That should give you enough various meats/fish and loads of great vegis! KIMCHI baby! Eat it all !
    I work in Greenland and eat at a military dining hall so food is not the best, but I always focus on primal "real food" and when I go home I am eating eggs in the morning and Korean through the day without any problems. Just stay away from the soju! :-)....or drink it to excess! the only way to really enjoy it!

Have fun!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

Quickdraw is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    It's taken a bit of adjusting time, but this isn't my first dog and pony show in another country. Though I admit, usually I settle into a place in about a month (Ecuador, Spain, Germany were all pretty easy) I keep running into the so-called "western wall" in a lot of social interaction.

My big issue is that as a teacher I'm expected to participate in the social activities my schools put on for the rest of the staff. Most of these involve food, and 90% of that food is grain of some kind. These people love their rice, bread, and sugar, and it's really insulting to refuse food!

Where is your current deployment? Any thoughts on how to artfully avoid the rice monster?
    My deployment has me in the Western Pacific and the Middle East, so I understand your dilemma. All these cultures love their grains. My read lately has been that rice isn't nearly as bad as bread and other wheat-based foods (have a look at Wheat Belly). If eating something is unavoidable, go for the rice (especially black/wild if they have it). Have the smallest amount you can possibly get served, and leave some on the plate. A bite won't kill you, in the scheme of things; I'm certain I am eating some unavoidable carbs inadvertently in all this ship food. Avoid the avoidable, minimize the unavoidable, and you're at 80%.
    About Me | Journal: "Grok: Deployed"
    "Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James Mattis