Thread: Omega6:3 ratio ? page

diving diva is offline Member

Question Omega6:3 ratio ?

Primal Fuel
    I would like a bit of advice please about the omega 6:3 ratio. Am I correct in thinking it should be 1:1 ?
    If so how do you all manage it ?
    Looking at paleotrack and fit day I don't seem to be anywhere near, despite eating eggs and oily fish everyday.
    I am taking fish oil supplements too but these are in the ration 1:1 so not really beneficial in bringing the omega 6 down !
    As I have weight to lose I am not eating nuts at the moment , so that rules out walnuts and flax seed.
    Thanks in advance for helping

well, where is your O6 coming from?

diving diva is offline Member
    Well today's food so far
    3 eggs
    5 slices of bacon
    later for lunch a smoked mackerel
    So presumably from there , 5.7gms omega 6 and 1.5gms omega 3 so far , so the ratio is 3.7 :1

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    The evidence to support the importance of the omega3:6 ratio is seriously lacking. Multiple studies have suggested that replacing saturated fat with processed vegetable oils high in omega 6's reduce risk of heart attack. If the omega3:6 ratio was important studies would show the exact opposite.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diving diva View Post
    Well today's food so far
    3 eggs
    5 slices of bacon
    later for lunch a smoked mackerel
    So presumably from there , 5.7gms omega 6 and 1.5gms omega 3 so far , so the ratio is 3.7 :1
    3.7: 1 is fabulous!! 4:1 is great! I would not stress over it you are doing fine! The average american is 14 - 25: 1

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    3.7: 1 is fabulous!! 4:1 is great! I would not stress over it you are doing fine! The average american is 14 - 25: 1

+1
    4:1 is pretty optimal.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

otzi Guest
    Maybe you'll have better luck than me, but I just got a blank stare from my doctor when I asked him if I could get my O3:O6 ratio tested. He told me to quit watching Dr. Oz

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Maybe you'll have better luck than me, but I just got a blank stare from my doctor when I asked him if I could get my O3:O6 ratio tested. He told me to quit watching Dr. Oz
    Most doctors know close to nothing when it comes to nutrition. I think yours proved that point.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diving diva View Post
    I would like a bit of advice please about the omega 6:3 ratio. Am I correct in thinking it should be 1:1 ?
    If so how do you all manage it ?
    Looking at paleotrack and fit day I don't seem to be anywhere near, despite eating eggs and oily fish everyday.
    I am taking fish oil supplements too but these are in the ration 1:1 so not really beneficial in bringing the omega 6 down !
    As I have weight to lose I am not eating nuts at the moment , so that rules out walnuts and flax seed.
    Thanks in advance for helping
    Hi,
    Have you read this?
    Initial thoughts from Ancestral Health Symposium at UCLA - Jack Kruse
    It really helped me make sense of this ratio business.

-- Liane

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    I think people who say "1:1 ratio" are citing the sources that say "closer to 1:1 than most SAD eaters". Many plant foods have twice as much omega-6 as omega-3. Some are reversed. I wouldn't worry about the ratio too much if you're eating good food. Both are still essential fatty acids, you need them both.