Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Life is about creating yourself. (Tricia) page 4

Tricia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yesterday was another bad day - no stars! I just felt so utterly exhausted that after I'd done some basic tidying up I just lay on the couch for the rest of the day. I didn't make it to the store, and come dinner time I let myself order take-out (just this once), which somehow always ends in a chocolate binge, a bloated stomach and a restless night. No more! I know better than this now. Guess it takes a while to unlearn such rooted habits. Even though my brain knows I will feel bad afterwards, there is something inside me that still thinks this is going to be a "treat".

Breakfast: yoghurt with ground nuts in it
    Lunch: salmon and veggie leftovers (now that was a treat!), glass of milk
    Dinner: Shoarma + 1 chocolate bar with nuts and 4 chocolate pralines

Back to accumulating stars today! This time, I really want to break my 'record'. Should be easy, since it's only 12 in a row Though this time I didn't make it past 6. Fail...
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ---George Bernard Shaw
    When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Yesterday's food:
    Breakfast: 1,5 egg, fried with bacon and green bell pepper
    snack: 2 fresh figs
    dinner: minced meat wrapped in bacon (I don't know what they would be called in English) with mashed potatoes, peas, carrots and sliced tomatoes. I only took a little bit of the mashed potatoes, even though they were so very lovely. I think I may have shrunk my stomach, or at least my appetite
    dessert: 1 clementine

I called back my doctor this morning to get the results of my blood tests, and turns out I'm over the acute part of the disease and I'm not longer infectious, which is both good. Then she said I had to wait at least another month before I can start any kind of training! I'm a bit bummed by that... Even though I'm still losing weight, slowly but steadily, since I'm not doing any kind of exercise whatsoever, I'm a bit worried that I may be losing muscle tissue - not that I had that much of that to begin with
    She also said the extreme fatigue is due to my liver having to deal with all the waste from fighting the virus. I guess I can start looking in to that, maybe start drinking more water because I have been slacking off on that account. Maybe I need to add more (good) carbs to my diet, because I can't imagine my liver would like having to create all that glucose itself when it's already over worked...
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ---George Bernard Shaw

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    But I've read that eating more fat is one of the most detoxifying things you can do! Especially for your liver. I would avoid fructose most of all (any fruit) if you want to give your liver a rest. That's great, though, that you're healing. It's hard to not give it your all sometimes, but healing and recovery is more important than anything else. Last week, when I was going through some digestive issues, I didn't do any strength training but still lost two pounds. I'll be back at the full exercise plan this week and it'll be interesting to see if I actually lose about the same amount of weight.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

fondalashay is offline Senior Member
    It is a bummer when you have to cut the training down. I had a minor surgery operation thingy last week. The doc said that I need to take it really easy for a few weeks.. I really am missing swimming the most! So just some walking and hoping for the best now!

I think the no fruit and more fat thing is good advice. Have you seen the video called Sugar the bitter truth. It talks about fruit sugars in it, it is interesting to see how sugars effect you liver. I think it is a great watch if you have the time, it is here on youtube.

☆☆
    (going to put my stars in my posts as an extra motivation, trying to get as many in a row as I can!)

I'm not sure I can give up the fruit entirely - it's nature's candy! Well it's all I allow myself these days... But I'm going to the 'big' supermarket today where they have loads more stuff so I guess I can pick up some berries or other low glycemic fruit. And more coconut milk

food log:
    breakfast: 2 primal pancakes with blueberries
    snack: crayfish tossed with almond flour and fried in coconut oil
    dinner: chicken breast + leftover mashed potatoes, peas and carrots from the night before
    after dinner snacking: 1 fig, 2 clementines, yoghurt with ground nuts in it (not all at once though, but I stayed up late reading 'A Song of Ice and Fire' ;-))

You can give up fruit entirely. It's just a matter of whether you think it's important enough for recovery. Plus, if it feels that essential right now, it might actually mean you're depending on its sugar too much. Instead of fruit I, from time to time, have coconut milk with stevia (coconut pudding) or a stevia drink mixed with apple cider vinegar or a little lemon juice.

To see what fructose specifically does in comparison to other sugars to your liver, check out this really popular lecture on the topic. It's pretty nerdy, but the doctor has earned a sort of celebrity status because so many people have made it through the lecture and had their minds blown:

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

☆☆☆

Yes I have seen the Lustig video (the entire thing) a while ago, but I've also seen a lot of people who seem to have good reasons to disagree with him. I'm not a biochemist, so I have no basis to say either of them are correct and the other is wrong. But I recall even Lustig saying in the video that fruit is ok, in moderation, and if you eat the entire fruit, on account of the fibre content and other goodie nutrients that come with it. It's not like I'm living on fruit here And I've already given up all coffee apart from the one cup I have in the morning (I used to drink it all day), all alcohol (not that I ever drank much) and all other sugar. I think my liver is quite happy that I exchanged the nightly chocolate bar/tiramisu/Ben&Jerry's for a piece of fruit. And I still think that changing my habits the way I did is the reason why the mono hasn't affected me all that much, considering how ill it can make other people (I'm pretty sure I've never actually had a fever - just a kind of feverish feeling and general weakness). The three ground rules I've set seem to be a good fit - for me - and something I'll be able to keep up indefinitely, which is the most important thing to me. I won't let perfection get in the way of great, or whatever it is that guy at Three New Leaves says After all, even Mark Sisson has sugar (sugar!) in his coffee
    Anyway, I don't want to sound ungrateful, because I really do appreciate you guys taking an interest and you've both given me very helpful tips so far! This forum has been awesome, and it's lovely to feel part of a community that has the same goals. And I'm feeling better every day. Grok on, as they say

Food Log: (okay, it has become clear that it's kind of silly to try to categorize my meals according to convention, since I hardly ever eat before 1pm, have dinner at night, and then sit up reading until 1am, which does make me feel hungry again 5 hours after dinner, but what should I call that then, 'post-dinner'? Dinner²? Breakfast? I'm just going for a non-categorized list from now on.)

- yoghurt with a bit of ground nuts in it
    - 1 fig, bit of smoked salmon
    - loads of broccoli in parmezan sauce, sliced tomato, half a leftover chicken breast and a small sausage
    - 1 banana and a handful of blueberries with whipped cream
    - 1 apple

(okay I did have a lot of fruit yesterday, but that's an exception )

☆☆☆☆

Yesterday's food log:
    - 1 egg, fried with bacon and a bit of leftover sausage, a few cherry tomatoes
    - some smoked salmon, handful of cashews, glass of milk
    - the fantastic spatchcocked chicken with loads of lettuce, sliced tomatoes and shredded carrots. Have decided this is definitely my favourite primal dish so far! Maybe it's the extra kick of getting to cut the spine out of something
    - 1 fig, one clementine

☆☆☆☆☆

I didn't feel sick or tired at all yesterday, so I took the opportunity to catch up on house work. Between the mono and the studying, this place had become a mess! Afterwards, I even had enough energy left to try out a new recipe (which didn't turn out all that great, but at least I tried). It's great to be healing!

Food log:
    - 2 primal pancakes
    - 2 handfuls of cashews, glass of milk
    - tried to make this primal pizza, but after I had put it in the oven with my toppings on it, the crust turned to mush I also only had the 2 little egg plants, because the woman in the video mentions that an egg plant is usually 1.5 lbs (?), which didn't occur to me to check (or maybe I heard it wrong). Anyway I came up short for even one pizza, and I had wanted to make 2, so I quickly whipped up another almond meal crust for a second pizza so my house mates wouldn't have to go hungry. Half of that second pizza is sitting in the fridge now, silly me. I keep overestimating how much I will want to eat lately...
    - 1 cut up banana + 1 handful of blueberries with whipped cream for dessert

Wow - that's a high calorie day if ever there was one. Think maybe I'll just eat some salad today

Yes - getting rid of most of the bad stuff for most of the time makes life a lot easier for your liver and is putting it ahead of the average American's. So that's a big victory already. And yeah, Lustig says some fruits are better than others because of the - I think - glucose to fructose ratio. It's something like one part glucose helps neutralize the effect of fructose, as in the case of berries or bananas. But not all fruits fit in that category. Apples, for instance, have been bred to be so sweet that many varieties actually have more fructose than is good for you.
    My Primal Journey

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast