Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: What You Need to Know about Lowering Cholesterol without Medication

Post What You Need to Know about Lowering Cholesterol without Medication

Shop Now
    High cholesterol is something of a medical bogey-man. People are scared of it, without understanding what it is or why it isnít as big a problem as they think.

There are two kinds of cholesterol Ė LDL and HDL. LDL is the bad cholesterol, the stuff you donít want to have. HDL is the good cholesterol; in fact, many people donít have enough HDL. It gets a bit more complicated than that Ė for instance LDL that is in small clumps is worse than LDL that is in large clumps, but doctors usually donít test to determine how large the LDL is, so people just need to assume they have dangerous LDL.

The thing is, to a point, the dangers of cholesterol are blown out of proportion. While it is true that people with high cholesterol tend to have more heart problems; it is also true that almost 75% of people with high cholesterol can control it without medication, and without turning their lives upside-down.

There are three key things to lowering cholesterol levels Ė diet, physical activity and stress

Read More About Health Topics:
    HealthPoise.com | Health and Fitness Tips

Good timing to read this for me. I just got my bloodwork results back - my dr told me my cholesterol was too high...its gone up 10% in five years...he was curious as to this "so called" diet I was on (MDA - paleo-ish)? Kinda Pee'd me off the way he asked it.
    Anyway, I just turned 45 (male), 5'10" and 168lbs...so im not exactly over weight...im sure I could lose a few pounds around the belly...but 10 would be max. Basically, my food intake is pretty solid. I was doing the plants and animal thing for many months - but slowly, I've added some not-so happy plants n animals....I've added rice once or twice a month...same as potato's...maybe once a month.....I don't eat bread very often...maybe once every two weeks...and pasta even less than that. The only reason for the potatoes and pasta is because we go to friends place for dinner and I honestly don't want to insult them...being totally 100% strict will just lead to binging...and thankfully, I don't have a sweet tooth...so cheating on those treats don't do much for me. As for booze, sure...not gonna lie...I have a few over the weekend....my 10lbs would be gonzo within a month if I eliminated that im sure.
    So back to the cholesterol concern...of course the dr tried to suggest meds for cholesterol...he knows my feelings towards that - self employed, all the meds are paid for by ME, and I don't want to fall into that trap of meds for life. SO...gonna change up my diet a bit - less red meat (Guilty on the red meat department)..I eat steak or lamb three times a week....plus bacon. So no bacon...only fish n chicken...and limit my egg intake to about 6 per week...down from about 12-18. Eat more veggies and drink more water...instead of coffee.....do you think that will make a difference to my cholesterol? He said everything else was good - my blood pressure was great too he said (with some surprise in his voice) 117 over 70.
    I also must note, I don't exercise like I used too...infact...hardly at all these days - I have a stressful job and time consuming...so I will try to at least get my 10,000 steps in at least 3 times a week......time to hook up the fitbit again
    LOL....any other thigns that may help, would be appreciated. thanks
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by graphics1988 View Post
    SO...gonna change up my diet a bit - less red meat (Guilty on the red meat department)..I eat steak or lamb three times a week....plus bacon. So no bacon...only fish n chicken...and limit my egg intake to about 6 per week...down from about 12-18. Eat more veggies and drink more water...instead of coffee.....do you think that will make a difference to my cholesterol?
    Hard to say if you have a real problem, since you don't list the numbers. Most people around here simply focus on HDL and triglycerides. I don't understand why you you would reduce red meat or eggs -- that is a very outdated response.

try to at least get my 10,000 steps in at least 3 times a week......time to hook up the fitbit again

Yes...it is an outdated response from my dr.....he suggested less red meat and eggs - which I think eggs are still the way to go for solid protein....id rather eat eggs than chemical protein shakes full of hidden sugars...

Yup...gonna fitbit as much as possible - he also changed my inhaler for allergy indused asthma...which I've recently be diagnosed with (5 years)...I was waking up at night struggling to breathe - sucked. Did the heart tests (which was strong) and now lung capacity tests next month - and I wonder why I hate going to the dr's.....
    ...I gave a female friend of mine my monthly diet list (she's has her pro-card in fitness/weightlifting comepetitions)...but she knows her way around the health industry like no other person I've met - anyway...other than adding more protein in my diet - she syas my diet is near perfection....for a non-bodybuilder.....so not sure what else I can do to get better numbers...I will find out next time im there what my numbers were. thx for the replies too

You didn't post your numbers. What were they? Generally today it's only important to focus on the Trigs/HDL ratio. It's a MUCH better predictor of CAD/CVD. LDL numbers are relatively meaningless unless you have familial hypercholesterolemia. I've seen numbers such as:

Trigs - 42
    HDL - 65
    LDL - 160

These numbers are considered very healthy but would scare most general practice docs. Note that I just made these numbers up. In the above hypothetical the Trigs/HDL ratio is .6

Anything below 2 is desirable but lower is better in this case. Once again LDL is pretty meaningless in this case. A good Trig/HDL ratio indicates that the majority of the LDL is the large, fluffy variety pattern and not the small, dense pattern associated with increased risk.

For most people and especially men to get HDL this high means a high fat diet, particularly saturated fats and a good bit of healthy exercise.

Shop Now
    Yeah - he never told me my numbers, just that it was 10% worse than before (5 years)....so when I go back for my follow up, I will ask him. If I remember right, he had told me five years earlier, that my "ratios" were off....that concerned him - so they gave me sample packs of Crestor and then Lipitor (cuz the crestor made me feel strange)...and the liptior I just chose to not take - he wasn't happy. I don't like med's...the less, the better in my system...I think. So because my diet is pretty solid - I was hoping he would have said GREAT!!...nay nay! I get " the call" - while I was fishing on a Saturday...and he told me I need to make dietary changes and sooner than later. He then tells me that even though I am at low risk for a heart attack (when he did his calculations) over the next ten years, he would like me to make the changes now - at least he seems concerned LOL