Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Lex26) page

Lex26 is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (Lex26)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey there,

I'm doing this "making it public" thing partly for accountability, but mostly because I'm hopeful about the kind of help I'll get along the way. I'm 26 and currently weigh 200 pounds after losing 25 pounds with this Primal thing so far. I've found I'm better off without caffeine, dairy, fruit or starches because of adrenal issues and the fact that I'm obviously very susceptible to insulin resistance and crazy sugar cravings whenever I dip back into the forbidden land. Most of that weight has come off with diet changes alone because I haven't had a consistent exercise schedule. I'm excited about where a regular exercise schedule will get me next. Another big challenge has been the social aspect of incorporating this diet into my life. I'm just now getting better at putting my foot down around family and friends. It's like coming out or something because this diet is still so controversial. They're still rolling their eyes, but at least my family and a few friends are finally accepting the diet and trying to think ahead for me most times. But when I struggle, I'll be turning to the MDA community for some extra help.

My goal by December 31, 2012 is to weigh less than 140 pounds and be able to do one pull-up (never done one).

Hurdle one: I've got a high tea with a friend on Saturday. I need to call ahead and try to make sure I have some friendly options. What could those options be? Salmon on lettuce? Deviled eggs? I want to call prepared with some ideas. I know some have the mindset that it's easier to indulge every now and then without feeling bad about it, but I always have to fight some serious cravings afterward and I'd rather not deal with them unless it's a really special celebration or a one-of-kind dessert.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lex26; 01-03-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Adding picture

And, ahem,

Hurdle 2: Getting ready for bed by 10 and being in bed by 11

Tricia is offline Senior Member
    Hi Lex! Your picture looks so cute! I had to smile to myself at your goal of doing one pull-up because that's one of mine too I can also relate to the sugar thing: so much 'easier' to get off the stuff completely than to have to deal with the cravings all the time. Here's to a kickass year!
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ---George Bernard Shaw
    When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

One pullup

Yeah. I started with the conventional goal of saying "I want to weigh this." Which I still totally do. But what would signal the best kind transformation would be the ability to do one pull-up by the end of the year. Right now, all I can do is hang on to the bar! I don't know if I'm ready to add "pull-ups" to the regular exercise schedule yet, though. I'm going to work on building muscles through the pushups and military press first.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Alllright. Yesterday I sprinted. Today I did two sets of my own set of strength exercises all-out (listening to Jay-Z, my favorite musical cheerleader):

12 incline pushups on a 4-inch curb
    12 military presses with a 15-pound weight in each hand
    12 bicep curls
    50 sumo squats (wide-stance)
    25 calf raises on each leg

I've decided to go with these because at this point I think doing the plank takes away from the energy I could put into pushups and I'm so far away from doing any kind of pull-up, it's pathetic. I'll probably look into maybe doing one-legged squats next time because I have pretty strong legs and I don't know if regular or wide-stance squats are doing it for me.

For meals today:

B: Three eggs scrambled with garlic, basil and spinach
    L: Four sliced hard-boiled eggs drizzled with olive oil, salt and fresh parsley
    D: Wild Pacific Chimichurri Salmon (from Trader Joes) with sauteed spinach and asparagus
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

dave155 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Lex, 25lbs so far! That is inspring! I want to be like you.

As for pullups, get started now. I know you can't do one yet, so you need some assistance to strengthen your back muscles. I use P90X for exercise and there are a lot of them in the program and I learned a couple tricks along the way. I went to the local sports store and bought a chinup bar that easily slips into the top of a doorway. They make assist bands you can attach to it that drops down and has a slot in the bottom for your foot. I hear this works well, but I haven't tried it. I use a chair. I slide it out a little bit (be careful not to let it slip!) place one foot or a few toes on it then do chinups that way pushing with your leg barely enough to get you up. For me, just removing the weight of my leg helps me get a few more reps in.

Also, some grips are harder than others. Start with close hand, reverse grip chinups. (palms facing you and less than shoulder width apart) That will use shoulders and biceps also which spreads some of the work out. Wider grip front hand is almost all back muscle.

Do this once or twice a week and you will see progress. I went from 7 to 20 unassisted pullups this way in a few months while my weight remained constant.

Good luck and keep posting. I want to celebrate with you!

Thanks for the support Dave! And the advice on the pull-ups and chin-ups is exactly what I needed to hear. After I worked out I went back to the Primal Fitness e-book to look at what it said and it suggested the chair thing too. I'm afraid of installing a pull up bar at my place though because I'm afraid it'll be insecure or cause damage. But I could try using a lower bar at a playground while using my feet as little as I can to come up.
    Last edited by Lex26; 01-11-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    My Primal Journey

Today I went on a 5-mile hike through the hills that got my heart rate up, but wasn't strenuous or anything. And:

B: Three eggs scrambled with three green onions and garlic
    L: Two hard-boiled eggs drizzled with olive oil and sea salt and salmon leftovers
    D: Two hard-boiled eggs drizzle with olive oil and sea salt (<--it's kind of my thing) plus three andouille sausages
    My Primal Journey

Dilemma: When I wake up in the morning I'm so hungry. But I want to work-out before I eat because I hate eating before I exercise. And if I don't do my exercise in the morning, I spend the day anxious that there's going to be some excuse for not working out later. Hm. Today I ate breakfast first. Maybe tomorrow I'll just exercise first anyway and see if I end up distracted from the hunger long enough to eat afterward.
    My Primal Journey

dave155 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you may not be eating enough. I don't think I am either. I know I'm not getting enough fat... I eat lots of eggs too and I'm going start focusing more on meat.

My chinup bar has never damaged a doorway. It will work well as long as there is trim around it.

Here's what it looks like:

Stamina® Doorway Trainer Plus - SportsAuthority.com

Anything will work for practice as long as you keep doing it!

How do you create the signature?

Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast