Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Lex26) page 2

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My pull-up/chin-up progress is underway. I went to the playground this morning, knelt beneath a four-foot-tall bar, grabbed it and then went on my tip-toes. I did two sets of 5 for pull-ups and chin-ups. I just found that at my family's house, where I visit a lot, there's both a bar and a lat-pull, so I think I have a couple different options now on building up. So all in all, exercise for today was two sets each of:

5 chinups
    5 pullups
    20 tricep pulls with 15 pound weights
    12 military press with 15 pound weights
    12 incline pushups
    12 one-legged squats
    30 side-to-side squats

Tomorrow's a play day!

B: Three eggs scrambled with green onions
    L: Three hard-boiled eggs drizzled in olive oil and salt with a couple pork rinds
    D: Fresh Crab and a bunch of broccoli

I feel like during the day I'm eating enough and not starving and I'm trying not to eat after 8 pm because I don't want to eat calories that are just going to sit in me. But maybe I'll make one of the meals that day bigger, like breakfast or lunch. I have been going especially light on the lunch. Like you said, Dave, I might need to put some more meat in there instead of the eggs. I only eat so many eggs because I'm on a super-tight budget and it seems like it's the most cost-efficient source of protein. Something about it just doesn't make it feel as complete and as satisfying as meat, though. I remembered today that meat and offal are always more affordable at ethnic markets, so I went to a Latino one today and hallelujah! So cheap. I'm not going to worry too much about the industrialized meat thing because good grass-fed stuff is not going to be regularly in the picture for a while. I can avoid, however, eating as much chicken in hopes of improving my omega 6/omega 3 ratio (I'm taking a daily cod liver oil supplement).
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Quote Originally Posted by dave155 View Post

How do you create the signature?
    Oh, if you click on your profile (there's a tab at the top of the page) there's an option to edit your profile under another tab (closer to the navigation bar) that says Forum Actions. You should be able to add a signature from there .
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

dave155 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex26 View Post
    Oh, if you click on your profile (there's a tab at the top of the page) there's an option to edit your profile under another tab (closer to the navigation bar) that says Forum Actions. You should be able to add a signature from there .
    Thanks Lex, I knew it had to be easy if I could just find the link!
    Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
    CW 163
    GW 155

My Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45618.html

I got a shout-out in Mark's post today!

This 2012 Primal Challenge thing is so cool. Posting my progress here already feels A LOT more helpful and A LOT less boring than simply dialing in on FitDay.com (not that it's a bad website). On top all that, I got a shout-out in today's post about it:

Success Stories in the Making: The Big Unveil | Mark's Daily Apple

Next time I'm in a blog post, it'll be the full on success story. Cheers to everyone else dedicated to doing the same!
    My Primal Journey

Brunobaboon is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Congrats!

Hey there LEx,

Congrats on starting this journey. And congrats on having already lost 25 lbs.

As Dave said, it may be that you're not getting enough fat. Keep in mind that this is a High Fat diet. While protein is good and necessary, you'll be feeling better and losing more weight the more good fats you eat. Pick up some Avocados and some cheap meat. Also suggested is some bone (picked up at almost any butcher very inexpensively) so that you can make some broth.

Coconut Milk is another avenue where you can get some good fat. I mix a ton in with my coffee.

As far as working out, I have 2 suggestions. 1. Work out before you eat - especially in the morning. You'll have something to work toward (FOOD!) and your body burns better when it's on an empty stomach. If you really want to up the ante, invest in some Amino Acid supplements. They come in powdered drinks and some have zero sugar/zero carbs. You can sip on this while you work out to maximize the effect.

The second suggestion is (and this was provided by Mark a while ago) when you know you NEED to work out, but you don't really WANT to work out right now, just throw on your sneakers. Don't worry about working out or contemplating whether you should or not, just throw on your workout shoes and do whatever else you were planning on doing. When you have your shoes on, you're ready to go. The decision is now one-fold, instead of requiring the preparatory steps of getting dressed and putting on the shoes. Aaand, if you ultimately don't go, at least you made the challenge a little harder to avoid.

ehenry01 is offline Junior Member
    Great job lex! Looks like you are on the right path...very excited for ya!

One thing I would like to mention is to make sure you are eating until you are full with your B, L, and D...when I started out the biggest challenge for me was eating till I was satisfied and ignoring conventional wisdom that you had to limit your intake!

Keep powering through towards your pull-up goal! I bet you will be able to bang out several by the end of the year....awesome!

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex26 View Post
    And, ahem,

Hurdle 2: Getting ready for bed by 10 and being in bed by 11
    If it's just because you're not tired try switching to lightbulbs that don't have blue in them. Or candle light (candle light doesn't have any blue light). Blue light reduces melatonin production (the chemical that prepares your mind to rest). I found that since I've reduced my blue light (I'm a HUGE candle advocate) I find myself getting sleepy around 9:30 naturally and usually in bed for 10:15. There are also blue light reduction glasses... I've been thinking buying some myself and giving them a go.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Lex- I haven't posted in a bit, but felt the need to congratulate all of you for taking the most important step we all can take- care for ourselves and our health.

All the best to you on your journey and I look forward to some progress posts!
    Last edited by ELCO14; 01-11-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Brunobaboon View Post

As Dave said, it may be that you're not getting enough fat. Keep in mind that this is a High Fat diet. While protein is good and necessary, you'll be feeling better and losing more weight the more good fats you eat. Pick up some Avocados and some cheap meat. Also suggested is some bone (picked up at almost any butcher very inexpensively) so that you can make some broth.

Coconut Milk is another avenue where you can get some good fat. I mix a ton in with my coffee.
    Thank you, Brunobaboon, ehenry01 and Dave so much for the advice. It still sounds weird being told that weight-loss might be easier if I eat more, especially fat. I know it's true, but I'm not used to acknowledging this fact with anything but one of Mark's blog posts! Coconut milk is definitely in - so much in fact that I worry about what the limits are on this fat thing. I got really into it in November, continued losing weight, but then December came and I thought, I don't know. Sure fat isn't the devil, but is going through a can of coconut milk every other day going overboard? On really busy days, I was using a can of it as my own sort of fast-food, convenience dinner (those days when I was like, I would rather starve than prepare something right now). Just dump it in a bowl with a bit of stevia, maybe cinnamon, and bam! Coconut pudding. So maybe two cans a week is safe? And I do need to get back into the bone broth thing. I made broth a couple times last year with chicken feet (amazing!) but I just moved into a new living situation with new roommates and don't want to freak them out with the saving of bones and chicken feet quite yet.

I'll take your advice on the morning workout too!
    Last edited by Lex26; 01-11-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    My Primal Journey

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ecks View Post
    If it's just because you're not tired try switching to lightbulbs that don't have blue in them. Or candle light (candle light doesn't have any blue light). Blue light reduces melatonin production (the chemical that prepares your mind to rest).
    I think I'm actually capable of going to bed on time but I very often get one of my roommates begging me to watch a set of funny youtube videos, an old episode of Gilmore Girls or a recorded Cupcake Wars episode (I've never even liked cupcakes, but I love how serious everyone gets about something so small and cute). And I feel bad turning down the opportunity, but I can work on starting these things a little earlier so I don't feel like I'm being lame so often. My real problem (and in a way it's a good problem) is that when I start eating better and have taken my Vitamin A and D supplement regularly, I get crazy photosensitive and as soon as the sun comes up - before it even comes up - I wake up. And I wake up whether I went to bed at 10 pm or 2 am. So if I had a late night, I can't even sleep in if I have the time to! The upside is that a) I don't need an alarm b) it forces me to go to bed earlier if I don't want to feel like crap c)when I am well-slept, I'm ahead of everyone else on the day.
    Last edited by Lex26; 01-11-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    My Primal Journey

Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast