Thread: I have a heart in my fridge! page

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member

I have a heart in my fridge!

Primal Fuel
    All sliced up and in a marinade to prep it for jerky! Let me tell you, slicing that thin and getting the last little bits of meat is HARD. Even using scissors, I'm pretty sure I discarded at least 2-3 good strips of meat with the veins et al.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, but it's going to be worth the effort to have real, non-polluted-with-chemicals jerky. A very sharp knife is priority one, and if you partially freeze the heart (or whatever cut you're using) before slicing it's a lot easier to get uniform slices.

Oh, and if you have dogs there's zero waste - mine love it cooked, raw or anything in between.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I made a beef heart stew this weekend that was amazing. I was a bit surprised how much I had to trim, usually I get them cleaner, but the dogs were sure happy! I just toss it to them as I trim, the cat too. I wish I had a reliable source, even my local butcher says people want them, instead of leaving them for resale when they pick up their beef.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton