Thread: New Canadian Primal Couple for 2012 page

GrokON is offline Senior Member

New Canadian Primal Couple for 2012

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone!

I wanted to do an intro post for my husband and I. We are a newly Primal couple north of the border in Ontario, Canada.

Our health issues are quite opposite; he's slim with a fast metabolism, a hard gainer, and he doesn't care about food. He'd like to put on a few pounds of muscle and lose his "wheat belly". I'm an obese (ugh... that's painful to say) foodie, and I'd like to return to my fit, sexy body this year through Primal eating and IF. I'm 5'6" and I used to be 110 lbs very fit not too long ago, so that's my ultimate goal. But I'm almost 250 now, so in all honesty I'll be thrilled when I'm in the 150 range so I can just feel human again. I don't have a timeline - it'll happen as it happens.

I have been grain free for 3 weeks now, eating clean and gearing up for a moderate post-holiday water fast which starts tomorrow (Jan. 3). I've been admittedly heavy on the potatoes through the holidays, but I'm ready to be done with that as well. I don't even miss the obvious junk - it's the hidden flour and bad cooking oil in food we don't prepare at home that is our biggest concern.

We're not crappy eaters. We don't have sweets or chips, pop or cookies. I am one of those who got fat off of whole grain pasta and bread, so it wasn't really a stretch to give up all foods not Primal. Our biggest challenge will be affording enough good meat to feed ourselves (my husband especially, as he needs much more than I do) but I suppose that's the cost of being healthy.

Long term, when my fast is done, my husband and I will both be eating very clean Primal. He'll have berries and starchy veggies, which I will have to avoid for the time being. He'll also eat every day, whereas I'll employ my very comfortable every other day eating schedule to help chip away at the pounds even faster. I'm not a daily eater (unless I'm derranged on sugar and grains) so this eating schedule is a natural fit for me.

We look forward to being an active part of the MDA community!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Sounds like you are on the right track.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Hey there, fellow ONtarian! Nice to finally see some canucks around here - maybe we can split a side of grass-fed beef or something haha...whereabouts are you in ON?

I can't speak to the water fast, but it doesn't sound like much fun to me. And why can't you have a few berries? Especially covered in coconut milk?? Mmmm yum!

If you eat the proper (real) food and get used to cooking with (and eating) the good fats, that weight'll drop off fairly quickly. Make sure you take pics and measurements as you go along!

Thanks for the welcomes!

Unamused Mouse, we're right in the heart of downtown Toronto. Where are you?

It isn't that I don't love berries, but I try to remain seasonal with them (eating them in healthy abundance during the summer, less so in the winter) because I'm one of those who are particularly affected by the fructose heading into fall/winter. Maybe I was a bear in a past life... I am sure I'll be able to eat them pretty much as I wish even next winter.

One other reason I'm staying very clean and simple and very, very, very low carb right now is because I've put my mom on an ultra-restricted primal diet in an attempt to starve her slow-growing cancer. I'm doing it with her to make it easier for her. The CW cancer nutrition hasn't done anything for her health (duh!) so it was a HUGE ordeal to convince her to go this route. But there's a lot of evidence to point to ketosis and nearly complete lack of carbs starving cancer... Fructose especially seems to be a little cancer sports drink, so no berries for her either. I wish it wasn't so - berries have excellent qualities, but I'm so afraid of the fructose for her. It's hard because you really only get one shot with something like this - there are no do-overs, and I don't want to look at her scans 6 to 8 months from now and wonder if *maybe* we'd even have avoided the berries, maybe *then* it would have worked better? So I have to make a decision one way or the other, and I hope I've made the right one for her.
    Last edited by GrokON; 01-04-2012 at 06:34 AM.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    hi and welcome. wishing your mom lots of success in her fight against cancer

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    I wish you and your mom the best in kicking that cancer's ass...

I'm actually in Brampton but work in Etobicoke.

Thanks both!

She has been going the alternative medicine route (no chemo or radiation) and her immune system is RIDICULOUSLY good, so we're hoping that if we can stop the cancer from gaining ground through ketosis, maybe her body can fight it off with the help of her ongoing alternative therapies.

She's on a great mix of supplements now - even her eyesight has fixed itself, she hasn't needed glasses in years! So we're hopeful that this one last step of proper diet helps give her the advantage she needs.