Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (New Freaker by 35) page

Freaker is offline Member

Talking Primal Journal (New Freaker by 35)

Primal Fuel
    Hi all. First, thanks for everyone that posts on these forums. They have been a great help in motivating my wife and I to go primal, a step which we are officially taking tomorrow. We really made the decision a few days before Christmas, but decided to postpone implementation until after New Years, in order to avoid any possible early-week land mines.

So here are my vitals: I'm 34 yo, 6'2, and weight ... to be determined tomorrow morning at first weigh-in (I'll update in my next post, but it should be in the 275 - 280 lb range). My wife took some mortifying "before" pics an hour or two ago, which I'll upload sometime this weekend, probably (I need to black out the face). Also took first measurement around the belly button at my widest spot - 52 inches. Wow. I don't have a goal weight just yet - definitely 40 pounds at a minimum, probably more like 70. We'll see when I get closer to the goal.

My wife is 100% supportive, which is huge. She is going primal with me, even though she really doesn't need to. She is 5'7, and weighed in this morning at 118. She's not really looking to lose pounds, but just to tone things up a bit. Truth be told, she doesn't have much to even tone up. Yes, I married up.

Today I did my kitchen transformation. I threw away all of our non-primal foods, and did a full grocery run for tons of meat and veggies. I also made a pork loin dish in the crock pot which will be for lunch a couple times this week.

So anyways, here I go. I'd love to chat with anyone who has any advice or tips to give. I'm really excited. After reading not only MDA and these forums, but also some Gary Taubes, Robert Lustig, Richard Nikoley and a bunch of others, I'm convinced that this is a the proper way of eating for life, rather than a diet for a couple of months.

Oh, about my journal title. I turn 35 this June. Around the same time, I will be seeing a bunch of my old law school friends at our tenth reunion. The date of these two milestones just matches up well - while I won't sweat ab out being at a final goal weight by then, I am aiming to have made a huge change. I've seen most of these people in the last 2 months or so, and I want to blow them away. Aside from that, I just need to grow up and take responsibility for my health. I want to do that by the time I'm 35.

Anyhow, cheers all, and thanks again.

Edit: Here are my before pics:

Hopefully these show up - edited to protect the not-so-innocent, and the innocent (my dog).
    Last edited by Freaker; 01-28-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: To include before pics

Four and a half days in and all is well so far. I can report that my starting weight was about where I expected it to be - 276.4 lbs. After just three days primal, I weighed in Friday morning at 270.8 lbs. I'm sure it is mostly just water weight and the result of my junk splurge over the holidays, but it is still an encouraging start. I am just mentally preparing myself for the day - hopefully awhile away - when the scale moves up instead of down. That is the day that I'll have to avoid getting discouraged and just stick to it. I think I'll be able to - after all, I don't have any non-primal food in the house anyhow!

My days have mostly just been coffee with cream for breakfast, big salad with chicken or tuna and homemade dressing for lunch, and some grilled meat and a veggie for dinner. I've also been splurging on a handful of blueberries and blackberries with a bit of heavy whipping cream for a delicious desert. On Wednesday, I went out for an unplanned dinner with some friends and was able to have a chef salad while they scarfed down some good looking sausage pizza. Last night wasn't perfect - my wife and I are friends with a restaurant reviewer, and we joined him for a review dinner. We tasted a bunch of different dishes. Luckily, the great majority seemed primal-friendly. And I avoided some traps - bread with some dishes, polenta, etc. But I'm sure I got some sugar from some of the sauces. And I confess that I took about a spoonful of both of the deserts that were ordered. All in all, though, a relative success. And I won't let perfect be the enemy of good.

This morning, my wife and I got up and fried up some beautiful bacon and eggs, and let me tell you that it was the favorite breakfast I've had in years. Combined with the beautiful east coast weather today (over 60 degrees and sunny), I could not have been feeling better. I've prepped the Italian pot roast recipe from the PB cookbook, and it is smelling AMAZING in the crockpot. I've polished off 4 cups of coffee from my favorite christmas present, the Keurig coffee maker, and I've had one apple, and I don't have a trace of hunger. In fact, my wife and I have experienced no ill effects from the newly primal "carb flu."

The wife has bough some ground bison that she's going to make a chili with for lunches next week, and she's thinking of making turkish eggs for dinner tomorrow night. Oh, and I'm whipping up some creamed kale for a side for my pot roast tonight. We're really getting into the cooking (just not the cleaning).

Oh, and one of the most exciting developments is that we located a local farm buying club - they make nearby weekly deliveries of all farm fresh meats, veggies, etc. Everything is pastured/grass fed. We couldn't be more thrilled. We are going to get a bunch of chicken, beef and pastured eggs to start, but I'm interested in moving on to more lamb, goat, and also offal. The meat is expensive, but I'm starting to think that with the elimination of the crap, we will still end up spending less on groceries overall.

So things are good. Still on the early push, but everyone is all in and I can really see this as being sustainable.

Good luck to everyone out there, particularly the New Years Noobs like me. I love reading your stories. They continually give me energy to keep going strong.

Cheers.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are both of to a great start and I am looking forward to following your journey

Thanks, Ayla. I've seen your cheerful posts all over these forums, so let me just say that it is due to people like you that I decided to come on here and share my journal. So, thanks.
    Starting Weight - January 3, 2012 - 276.4 lbs
    One Month - February 3, 2012 - 260.8 lbs
    Two Months - March 3, 2012 - 253.8 lbs

Current Weight - April 3, 2012 - 246.0 lbs

My Journal

My new blog dedicated to creative writing and dark spirits

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Aw thanks
    This really is a great place to hang out.

Hey Team. Just felt like checking in after the one week point. Rolling along pretty well, some smooth sailing so far. I get some funny questions during lunch at work, but everyone's actually pretty respectful.

Tonight I passed a test by going out with my wife to dinner after a stressful day for her. At this place, I'd usually get some pretzel bites (dipped in cheese, natch) and either a big burger or a loaded chicken sandwich with some chips. But tonight, it was a cobb salad (not the primalist, with a bunch of blue cheese and some dressing on it, but a victory nonetheless). Oh, and a water rather than the 2-3 (delicious) IPAs I'd normally get. And all in all, it wasn't that hard.

I'm thinking of having a little primal feast this Sunday while watching the Giants beat the Packers. I'm trying to think of some really good primal football snack foods. Chicken wings are an obvious choice (but does anyone know of a primal-friendly dip?). Also, maybe guac with kale chips or zucchini chips? Or I saw the artichoke and olive dip in the quick primal cookbook. I'll post on the recipe thread, but if anyone has a better idea, let me know.

Finally, after 7 days, I was lucky enough to have lost 7.2 lbs, according to the scale. While it is just early easy progress, I'll take it. I really don't feel different yet, and my clothes don't seem to fit different, but hopefully that will come soon.

Cheers!

My Journal

Hey all. I'm chugging along, pretty strong. Really no hunger issues while I'm eating relatively small amounts for breakfast and lunch. And dinner, really. I'm not really depriving myself, I just don't get all that hungry.

My first problem, though, has arisen. I've had some whisky a few times this week. Better than my old beers, no doubt, but really I just need to avoid booze altogether. At least 5 or 6 nights a week, I do.

Nonetheless, this morning I weighed myself, because I finally felt a little smaller for the first time. Welp, I was wrong. The scale actually took a bump up. My plan has always been to weigh on Mondays and Fridays, and I'm going to go back to it.

Good news is that the little scale hiccup hasn't weakened my resolve. I'm sticking strong with it, and looking forward to making some delicious primal grub this weekend. The wife and I keep talking about my first cheat meal, but with my total lack of cravings, I'm just going to see how long I can go without a cheat. I expected it probably would have been last weekend, but now I think I'll go strong through this weekend and beyond.

Keep pushing everyone.

Cheers.

My Journal

Checking in. Everything still going strong. Yesterday, the wife and I trekked out to whole foods for the first time (well, the first time as primal peeps - we used to go in SF all the time, but the truth is that we really just got a lot of their prepared stuff). That place is great, but it is true that it costs a bunch. Still, it is so easy to find everything organic that you need.

I was surprised with the eggs - last week, when I got organic at Wegman's, they cost $3.50 or so. About 75 cents more than regular. But for pastured eggs - which my wife insisted on - they were $6. Oh well, she wants the best and she'll get it. But when I was making eggs this morning, and one wouldn't come out of the carton, and I pulled hard and cracked it, I almost shed a tear...

Yesterday included a good olive/artichoke/caper dip from the quick primal cookbook. It was pretty good with some cut up veggies. But the star was the chicken wings, with a not-totally-primal greek yogurt/blue cheese crumble/lemon juice/herb dip. It was delicious, and not the worst thing for me in the world. I seem to take dairy fine. In fact, I'll be having leftovers of the wings today, as well as some homemade guac (if I ever get hungry again after my bacon and eggs).

The wife has been on a cooking rampage as well. Yesterday, she made primal cookbook jumbalaya, as well as a batch of buffalo chili (a repeat). Today, she's making chicken curry. We'll be all set for lunches and dinners for the next week at a minimum.

I'm eager to see some success on the scale, but I'm trying to stay patient. Hopefully, when I look next, I'll be moving back in the right direction. Also, today, I'm going to start planning out some workouts. We've been just hitting the gym sporadically and walking a fair bit, but we both do better when we have planned routines to meet.

Hope everyone has a great sunday and enjoys the Giants victory this afternoon.

Cheers.

My Journal

CarolineC is offline Junior Member
    Great Progress and I love your attitude. I must get the primal cookbook.

Caroline

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, Caroline. We are basically treating weekends as cooking days and both spending a couple of hours in the kitchen, with some good music, eating breakfast and making some yummy dinners for later. Neither of us had cooked all that much before, so we're enjoying trying out new things. We've even discussed making the plunge and getting a sous vide machine (don't know if you've seen Nom Nom Paleo, but it is our favorite recipe blog, and she's a big sous vider - Nom Nom Paleo).

My Journal

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast