Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (New Freaker by 35) page 3

Freaker is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well I lied in my prior post. My curiosity got the better of me and I peeked at the scale. 260.4. I'll take it. A huge cheat day followed by two good days resulted in a half pound gain. No bigs. Hopefully, I can set a new low before traveling on Saturday.

Went to the doctor today for a normal checkup. All of my numbers have luckily always been good, despite my best efforts to ruin my health. They remain tip top, so I'm not too concerned about the diet being healthy (I mean, I'm convinced it is the proper way to eat -- I just feared that maybe I'd check and find that my blood pressure was through the roof. Neurotic, I know). I mentioned my new eating habits to my doctor, and he surprisingly had never heard of it. He generally agreed with avoiding too much bread and past, but that was about all we got into it. I'm surprised that, as a primary care physician, he wasn't more opinionated on diet. He most see obese people every day he works. Doesn't he advise them on how to improve their eating? He seemed impressed by my early progress, and I wanted to tell him to look into primal/paleo, but I dropped it. I feel like I need to have more success (30+ lbs dropped) before going around preaching to people.
    Starting Weight - January 3, 2012 - 276.4 lbs
    One Month - February 3, 2012 - 260.8 lbs
    Two Months - March 3, 2012 - 253.8 lbs

Current Weight - April 3, 2012 - 246.0 lbs

My Journal

My new blog dedicated to creative writing and dark spirits

randito is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freaker View Post
    I also have had some good affects on my sleeping. My snoring has gone down from 95% of the nights to about 10%.
    Awesome. I had some similar success with my massive freight train snoring. I'm also about 95% snot free these days -- usually, I'm nursing a low grade allergy sniffle but that's gone too.

But congrats on the success!

Yeah, that has been a nice side effect, Randito.

So I did meet my goal of setting a new low before my trip. I weighed in at 258 on the day that I flew to Australia. Unfortunately, I wasn't really able to do primal there. I was staying with my sister, and eating at home, and the stuff she was making wasn't really fitting in. It wasn't horribly unhealthy, though. I tried to keep my overall consumption reasonable, and was somewhat successful, although at one point I blacked out and woke up in a puddle of melted chocolate chip ice cream. And During the 24+ hour travel days each way, I was flat out terrible eating-wise. Nonetheless, no permanent damage was done. On Thursday morning, I weighed in at 259.2, up only a pound or so. I wasn't great Thursday and Friday, but am now fully back on track. I made a monster breakfast of 3 eggs, 2 bacon slices and a big sausage link. And tonight I'm going to grill up some good pork chops with a cherry relish that was posted on the MDA blog earlier.

So, I'm back to work. I think my goal will be to set a new low by my two-month date, which is March 3. That should hopefully be pretty attainable. Also, soon I need to get moving with the exercise. I'm considering crossfitting, but I'm also thinking about signing up for a half marathon. I've run a bunch of them, but only while extremely overweight. I'm just thinking that if I ran one without the extra 40, 50, or 60 pounds that I've had in the past, it will be a piece of cake.

Anyhow, great to be back. Good luck everyone!

My Journal

Just a quick check in tonight to update on the weight. After weighing last Thursday at 259.2 lbs, I had bad days on Thursday and Friday. As in, gorging on huge amounts of pizza bad days. Then I turned it around with good days on the weekend. On Monday morning, I was worried that there would be an ugly number greeting me, but lo and behold, it said 254.6. Not bad. It was a nice little treat, and the funny thing is that it just seems to motivate me to lose more. Now, I'm eyeing up that 250 mark like a dog eyes a steak. Or like I eye a steak. It has been a long time since I've been on the right side of 250. I'm anxious!

The next milestone day is March 3, my two month day. This Saturday. With such a huge loss on Monday, I just want to stay south of 255 for that. I'll also be posting some embarrassing pics in this journal, which I think will start to show a difference. I'm finally at the point where I'm noticing a difference in almost all of my clothes. Not time to buy new clothes, but just seeing that they are hanging differently.

Anyhow, just wanted to share a little victory. There was about a two week plateau in the middle of January, and things have gotten moving for me again. So for those of you who might be a bit stuck right now, keep the faith. You will be rewarded.

Cheers everyone.

My Journal

It's that time of the month again! Wait, that may have come out wrong... Anyhow, yesterday marked two months on primal. My official weigh-in, which will remain in my signature, is 253.8 lbs. Down 7 lbs in a month where basically took more than half of it off between traveling to Australia and being less than perfect in the days after returning. So losing over 7 lbs (considering the weight gained during Australia and cheating) in two weeks is just fine with me.

The freaking wife, though. She is a freak. I'd say that since I started, she has probably 60 - 70% primal. At 5 foot 8 inches, she initially weighed in at 118 lbs, and yesterday she weighed in at 111 lbs! I couldn't believe it. I didn't think that she had that much to lose. She wants to try to get down to about 105 (she obviously has a very slight frame), and I think she'll probably be able to. At the beginning of this diet change, she complained that there weren't many examples of women in her position. Relatively thin, but wanting to lose the last 5 to 15 lbs. So if anyone out there that matches this description happens to be reading, just know that it is possible.

Anyhow, we have decided to have a bit of a reset, where we are 100% perfect for the next four weeks. No cheats of any kind, plus cutting down on the wine a bit. I'm hoping that gets the weight loss kickstarted again, and that I'm in the 230s by the first week of April. I don't think that is a completely unrealistic goal.

OK, now for the main event. The reason why thousands of you read my journal. Here are my monthly weigh-in shots, taken this morning after a massive cheat night last night (sicilian pizza, mozzarella sticks, beer, a little ice cream). I feel like I've gained ever ounce back, but I think we can see true progress. Check them out.

Also, I figured out how to make some side-by-side comparisons vs. day one. The back shot obviously shows a discernible difference.

So cheers, everyone. Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Freaker; 03-04-2012 at 03:22 PM.

My Journal

Just a quick check in on this beautiful Saturday. The wife and I are aiming to complete March being perfect (after a pretty cheatoriffic weekend last weekend). So far, so good. The scale didn't agree (up a half pound from last week), but who cares. I'm feeling good, and I know that the scale just moves in fits and starts. One of these days, it will take a 3-5 lb nosedive before leveling off again for a bit.

This weekend is a big cooking weekend. Last night, I lit the grill for the first time all year. A nice tritip with a side of spinach. Delicious! The steak was really tasty, and I'm not the biggest steak fan. This morning, had a healthy bacon and egg breakfast. Tonight, I'm going to try the butter chicken recipe that Mark linked to recently in his frozen foods post. Then, tomorrow will be the big day. We're going to try cooking up some beef liver (which has been marinating in a citrus-garlic marinade for the last few days), and the wife is also planning on dropping a whole chicken into the crockpot with some butter, herbs and veggies. That will set us up well for the week!

The upcoming week is supposed to be fantastic spring weather on the east, so I'm expecting to try and get some serious vitamin D! It starts with a sunny round of golf tomorrow.

Hope everyone is doing well. Cheers!

My Journal

Well, what do you know? After gently complaining about being on a little mini-plateau, the scale decided to get moving again. After all of that good primal cooking this weekend (and believe me, I didn't hold back with chowing down), the Monday morning weigh-in was an encouraging 250.8. Then, after a really solid primal day on Monday, I woke up this morning feeling particularly good, and decided to have the rare back-to-back weigh-in day (NOTE: this is a very, very bad idea). And what do you know? I weighed in at 248.6 lbs.

This is obviously my new low on primal. And while I haven't paid close attention to my weight (since it has been so embarrassing), I'm guessing that I haven't been on the good side of 250 in 5 years or so. For awhile in my late twenties, I seemed to have some sort of "weight ceiling" (I think some people refer to this as a "set point") at about 247. I used to be able to eat as much as I want, and I'd just stay there. Now I'm busting through on the way back down and not looking back.

This new weigh in also meets another milestone. I've now lost 10% of my starting weight. And the amazing thing is, looking at myself in the mirror, I still have SO far to go. At least another 25 lbs, if not 45 (or maybe more?). I lost 10% of my weight and I'm still fat.

According to my scale (which I do not trust for this), my body fat has gone down from about 31.5% to 27.4%. So all in all not bad.

Keep it up everyone. If a no-willpower guy like me can do this, you can too.

Cheers!

My Journal

Well, Karma slapped back a bit. After dropping 6 lbs in 4 days, I had perfect Tuesday through Thursday, woke up Friday morning and weighed in back on the wrong side of 250. Oops. I think that's just how it goes. I think that my body dropped so quickly there that it rebounded the other way a bit. It was still a loss of 3 lbs in a week, so that's fine.

Nonetheless, last night, after the wife and I both had a happy hour drink or two and came home to an understocked fridge, our discipline folded a bit. We got a stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut. And I'm going to tell you - it was every bit as good as I had hoped. It TOTALLY hit the spot. I ate too much, and went to bed and forgot about it. Today is a new day, and although we were trying to be good for the rest of March, we aren't going to sit and stew about the cheat. My tummy was frankly demanding it.

Time to start a new cheatless streak today (started with some delish bacon and eggs this morning). This weekend will be a big cooking weekend -- burgers (in lettuce wrap) with all the fixins and some asparagus tonight, primal shortribs tomorrow night, and I'll be making and freezing a beef stew tomorrow. Very red meat-centric, so we'll be looking for more chicken and fish during the weeknights, I think.

Anyhow, the point of this post is that the scale doesn't always listen, and cheats sometimes happen, and you move forward with things.

Happy St. Patty's everyone! Have a Guinness or a nice dram for me. Myself, I'll be having some delicious Redbreast whiskey with my burger. Cheers!!

My Journal

Haven't checked in in almost 10 days and you know what that means. If I was being perfect and losing tons of weight, I'd be posting more often. My story is that I had one of my only unplanned cheats a week ago Friday (as described above). Then I had a planned cheat last Tuesday for a whiskey tasting dinner. Unfortunately, I sandwiched two bad lunches around that dinner. Not great.

On top of that, I've just been grazing too much. Almonds here, cheese slice there, pickle spear, dark chocolate square, apple ... none too horrible on their own, but just too much. I need to get back to just eating during meals for the most part.

As a result, I'm feeling pretty chunky and have been avoiding the scale since the 16th. So it could be anything. Could be 256 or 246. I truly have no idea. Will weigh in tomorrow and find out. And don't think that I don't feel the pressure of the upcoming month and a new set of pictures.

The other thing is that I really NEED to get my butt moving. Doing lots of walking, but not enough real exercise. Anyhow, I'm back on the good eating train. Hope everyone else is doing great.

Cheers!

My Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Checking in just to say hi. Not a whole lot to update. On Tuesday, I finally weighed in at 249-something. So down a few pounds after ten days. Then, Thursday, it was 248.4, which I think is a new low by a teency bit. Only down about 5 lbs for the month so far, so I'm hoping to finish it out well (I do my weighing and picture taking on the third of the month.

On Thursday I had a meeting and wore a suit. I have a belt that matches the shoes that I usually wear with the suit. What I forgot was that I was on the last hole in that belt even when I was larger. So now that I've lost a bit, the belt did nothing to hold up my suit pants, which also fit comfortably when I was larger. In other words, my pants were almost falling off. Not very professional. So I'm getting to the point where I need to tailor my clothes, but I'm still a long ways from done losing weight. A good dilemma to have.

Cheers, all!

My Journal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast