Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (New Freaker by 35) page 2

Freaker is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Well, I'm updating this more than I was expecting. I was figuring on once or maybe twice a week, but today is a back to back day. It is no surprise that the main motivation is to report on some success.

After whining during my last update about gaining a half a pound, I skipped the scale for three days and came back with a nice drop. I'm now at 263.2, down 14 lbs in 13 days. I know a lot of this is just early shock in the change to my body, but hey, I'll ride the one-pound-a-day train as long as it will take me.

This weekend was my first time when I had really strong cravings (Friday night especially). This morning I'm especially glad that I powered through with clean eating.

Good luck everyone, and keep going strong.
    Starting Weight - January 3, 2012 - 276.4 lbs
    One Month - February 3, 2012 - 260.8 lbs
    Two Months - March 3, 2012 - 253.8 lbs

Current Weight - April 3, 2012 - 246.0 lbs

My Journal

My new blog dedicated to creative writing and dark spirits

mattrogers55 is offline Member
    Great journal! I seem to find myself doing a lot of crock pot meals, but I'll have to keep an eye on your journal to get food ideas.
    "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace by those who have been trained by it."

HT: 6' 2"
    Peak Wt: 303lbs- Nov 1st 2011
    Current Wt: 240lbs- Sep 1st 2012

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Great Job! A pound a day--Holy Cow you males got it good! But it wouldnt be good without your hard work, and your great attitude plays an essential part I believe!

The weekend cooking is a great idea, and the fact that you are doing it together is fantastic..that will pay off in SO many ways.
    The Primal Cookbooks are great, but if you are on Pinterest do a search on Paleo and on Primal, there are great recipes and blogs posted there too!

Keep up the great work
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

Hey mattrogers. I use the crock pot a bunch too. It is definitely a kitchen mvp for me. In fact, I'm dropping a big pot roast in there tomorrow.

Thanks, redflame. The pound-a-day train seems to have ended. It does seem that us chubby men have an easier way, at least at the start.

Outside of cookbooks, one primal/paleo recipe site I love is Nom Nom Paleo. She is like a wizard with food, and has great pictures and usually plenty of step-by-step instructions to get you through.

I was eager to step on the scale yesterday, after a really good three days, but unfortunately, it was unfriendly to me. I went up a pound and a half somehow. I really can't explain it, but I know that is just how weight goes sometimes. Still over 11 lbs down in 17 days, if my math is right, so I can't complain too much. I know that one of these days it will be down three or four pounds and it will start moving again.

Thursday my wife and I got our first delivery from the farm, and we're excited. We got pastured eggs, a pint of cream, some butter, a whole chicken, a stewing bird, some bone-in chicken breasts, some veal stew meat, a beef liver and a chuck roast. Whew! We are ready for a few weeks of fresh cooking. My wife's eyes are bigger than her stomach. Still, we're excited to get to trying everything, especially some of the weirder stuff.

Finally, with the Giants beating the 49ers tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to my friend's in Hoboken to watch the game. There will be no avoiding my first cheat of the year, and frankly, I'm going to enjoy it, scale be damned. Gonna have my first beers in three weeks, plus who knows what else. Then, on Monday (after my scale scolds me, no doubt), I'll be right back on the primal train.

Cheers everyone, and keep up the good work.

My Journal

By the way, anyone know exactly how to link to Flickr photos? I tried 10 times to put my "before" pics into my opening post, and it hasn't worked. I've followed other advice I've seen when I searched for help, but it just isn't getting through. Any help is appreciated.

My Journal

Just checking in with a few notes. Yesterday was the first "cheat" day of the year, and let me tell you, it wasn't all that great. A soft pretzel, some beer, some pizza, a couple bites of guacamole and some ice cream cake (yeah, a little bit over the top, but it all helped the Giants win). The only thing that really tasted great to me was the ice cream. In fact, my beloved beer was just so filling, it was kind of gross.

Anyhow, back today and totally on it. I weighed in yesterday morning before the carnage, and it stayed relatively constant. Down about 12 through 19 days. Can't complain too much (though I do just a little). I'll weigh again tomorrow to get the 3 week number.

Today my wife texted me when she got home from work. She asked, "Is it wrong that I now consider pot roast an acceptable snack?" I laughed and told her that would go on my journal.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

My Journal

Still in something of a weight loss plateau right now. Not a big deal, it will come. The good news is that the eating continues to be easy. Last night, I tried making a "primal pizza" with a cauliflower and cheese crust, but I really couldn't get it to work. I think I'll just stick with big slabs of meat for now...

Yesterday morning, I ate way more than usual. I usually only have a hardboiled egg or nothing at all. But I was a little hungry and picked up some bacon and scrambled eggs. When lunch came around, I was still pretty stuffed, and the two people that I usually eat with were out for the day. So I figured I'd skip the lunch. Well, by about 4:00, I was ravenous. I stuffed a few almonds in my face, but they didn't really help. I don't think I'm ready for a true IF yet...

I'm coming up on one month pretty soon. I'll post progress shots. I wonder if I'll be able to see anything. Clothes seem to be fitting a skosh better, but nothing drastic. I was really hoping to lose something like 18 or 20 lbs in the first month, but I'll definitely take 12 or 13. Oh, and I finally got my before pics up (in the first post of this thread) if anyone's interested.

It is a beautiful saturday, and a bit over 50 degrees. I think I'll go for my first outdoor run of 2012.

Have a great day everyone.
    Last edited by Freaker; 01-28-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: random typo

My Journal

Hey all. Today is four weeks for me. So far, so good (more or less). Hit the scale today with some trepidation (had mac and cheese at a dinner party Sat night, and some toast and hash browns with breakfast on Sun), but it was pretty good. 263.2 lbs, down 13.2 total in four weeks. Ironically, this was the lowest weight I hit earlier this month - 15 days ago! So I lost 13 in the first 13, then 0 in the next 15. But I'm ok with it. The scale is funny sometimes, and that's just how it goes. It will start going down again soon.

Anyhow, I made the wife take some updated pics. They aren't in exactly the same cropping, so it may be a little hard to compare. I see just a wee bit of difference from the first pics, primarily in the upper chest/shoulder area.

One of these days, I'll figure out how to compare the old and new pics side by side. No time for that tonight.

Good luck everyone and keep going strong.

My Journal

Quick check in this morning before going to a friend's kid's birthday party (where I get to play in a series of bouncy houses - those three year olds don't know what's coming for them).

The scale has been moving again lately, which is nice. My official "one month" loss, which is in my signature now, was 15.6 lbs (as of this past friday). Then, I weighed in again this morning and there was another pound off. So that has been a nice little treat lately.

I don't usually weigh so often, but I did this morning because I am about to just turn my primal switch to "off" in five minutes. I am going to turn it back to "on" when I wake up tomorrow morning. But everything in between will be totally non-primal. Hoagies, chips, beer, ice cream, even pizza, they are all possibilities (and some are certainties). Nobody here needs to hear about that. I'll probably just get a tummy ache (and with the size of my tummy, that's a big ache).

Good luck everyone, and go Giants!
    Last edited by Freaker; 02-05-2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: i can't type

My Journal

PrimalCon New York
    Hey all. Just checking in to gloat about the fantastic super bowl. What a game. And let me tell you, I cheated in super portions. An italian hoagie, doritos, beer and a couple of bites of ice cream. The beer and the hoagie was worth it. I think I'm done with doritos for good. On Monday morning, I woke up feeling like crap. I thought to myself "how was it that I allowed myself to wake up feeling like this for years and years?" No more.

Anyhow, it was just one day, and now I'm back on it again. Still no real cravings, which is great. I'm afraid to step on the scale, and wont' until this weekend. Saturday I leave for Australia to visit my sister, her husband and two sons for 11 days. I'm really looking forward to it. I imagine, though, that my 80/20 (which is really more like 90/10) will be heading back toward 50/50 for that time. If I gain a couple of pounds down under, I'm not gonna sweat it.

I notice a bunch of weird things about primal that I always mean to note in my journal, but never remember. Anyhow, here are a couple: first, I have two things that I wear that are noticeably looser now - my wedding ring and my watch. The watch was always a little loose, but now it rotates fully around my wrist. I'll need to have a link removed. The ring is just crazy - it has never been loose. But it almost fell off in the shower recently.

I also have had some good affects on my sleeping. My snoring has gone down from 95% of the nights to about 10%. Which helps me, b/c when I snore, my wife boots me to the couch, and I do NOT sleep well on the couch. And second, I'm just having no trouble falling asleep. I've always been fairly good on that front, but now, I hit the pillow and it is sweet dreams. That is nice.

My Journal

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast