Thread: Somebody Tell Me I'm Not Dying ;) page

RachelY is offline Junior Member

Somebody Tell Me I'm Not Dying ;)

I am on day two of 100% primal eating. I've been preparing for this and actually looking forward to it, but oh my, I was not prepared to feel this terrible! How long does this "carb flu" last?

I have been dabbling in primal recipes and exercises for the last 6 months, but still eating whatever I wanted even though I shouldn't. Currently, I am 25 years old, 5'6" and I weigh 243 lbs. I have PCOS, I am insulin resistant and pre-diabetic. I know that if I don't change, I'm going to be unhealthy and probably cause some permanent damage. I've tried a SAD diet and a vegetarian diet. Neither worked, both sucked.

Wish me luck! I look forward to being an active member of this board and cannot wait to post my before/afters in time.

Fletch666 is offline Senior Member
    The 'flu' lasted three days for me and three weeks for my wife. Stick it out. It'll be worth it.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    When I went drastically low carb (20g on Atkins - from about 300 a day previously, back in 2005) I had a 3 day migraine - it was absolutely dreadful. But doing Atkins made me aware I was highly gluten intolerant and that had been the cause of my migraines (2-3 a week all my life), dermatitis, depression, sore feet, and stomach upsets. Since Sept 2005 I have not had ONE migraine - it is like being released from prison. So do persist - it WILL be worth it in the end.
    Last edited by Analog6; 01-02-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

1949katie is offline Member
    I'm new too, but I never had the "carb flu" -- I think because I took a couple of months and very slowly reduced my carb count to about 50 - 80 a day. Stay strong! Primal is completely worth it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I was finally starting to feel pretty good around week 4, then suddenly I felt so horrible I really did think I was going to die. Turned out I needed to take potassium and magnesium supplements and put a ton of salt on my food. I was surprised that it was so hard for me to adjust, but it was. I had horrible breath, my pee smelled like nail polish remover, I had leg and arm cramps from the low sodium/potassium. I'm glad I made it through.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

RachelY is offline Junior Member
    Well, I'm not dead. It's day four and I'm feeling much better. I woke up with a headache, but it didn't last long.

P.S. Coconut oil is the best! I can't believe I haven't ever used it. I want to cook everything in it, haha.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Glad you're feeling better! After all- you weren't dying. Your body was just in total shock that you were ready to really nourish it. Shocks like that take some time to adjust to

Welcome and good health to you!

valeo44 is offline Junior Member
    I am new to PB too, and was wondering how long it would take for the processed food/sugar/carb withdrawal to be over... Glad you're feeling much better! Welcome

Mudpony is offline Junior Member
    I just finished my first week of being within either "the sweet spot" or the maintenance zone every day, and I just had one day where I had a migraine and one day where I had a crazy dizzy spell. That was around day 3. No problems since then and I've lost 2 lbs so far...I'm still anticipating this "carb flu" though.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had dizzy spells for about a month, but I kept with it and now after almost a year I feel great! Keep strong and keep with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpony View Post
    I just finished my first week of being within either "the sweet spot" or the maintenance zone every day, and I just had one day where I had a migraine and one day where I had a crazy dizzy spell. That was around day 3. No problems since then and I've lost 2 lbs so far...I'm still anticipating this "carb flu" though.