Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any problem with grains for elite athletes? page

shinomori is offline Junior Member

Any problem with grains for elite athletes?

Shop Now
    Hi, although I believe in leading a primal lifestyle. I just don't see the problem with eating grains for someone who exercises very thoroughly everyday. Michael Phelps eats 10000 calories a day and he still stays lean. It includes 2lbs of pasta everyday. I'm thinking of also eating 2-3lbs of pasta everyday for caloric requirements.

So my question is, would there be any problems in eating a high carb load if your burning it all off? Or maybe eating enough carbs considering your maybe getting 500-600 calories in excess from carbs? Seems to me grains like oats and pasta are easiest for athletes to get their caloric needs due to the price and nothing in the primal diet compares in utility.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Phelps is still young. Watch him crash and burn when he stops training so hard.

Anyway, oatmeal doesn't seem so bad. Gives me major gas, though.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Carbs and grains are not the same thing. There is no problem at all with eating lots of carbs if you are active and lean. Grains, in particular wheat, are filled with anti-nutrients and toxins. Plus they contain very little nutrition. If you are eating food, it should contain something useful for your body.

dado Guest
    Activity level is important. And some people react to grains better than others.

evertastica is offline Member
    It isn't just that excessive carbs are bad, it's grains see Marks Post Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple

For some people, it is gluten in most grain products as the issue. Others can manage/get by with eating them but long term/internal effects are really not great. We were not designed to eat the amount of carbs, especially processed carbs, that people have been eating today.

I functioned all through highschool sports (6 practices a week, 2+ hours) and competitions on the SAD (although it wasn't near as bad as it could have been). I switched to primal/paleo this summer and went to college level sports where I have been functioning just aswell. I am on a crew team that requires me to run/row around 15 hours per week and have no problem eating less than 100g of Carbs per day (from veg/nut sources only). You're body just needs to adapt.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    At best, you're getting about 700 calories per pound of pasta, and almost no nutrition. A stick of butter has about 800 calories, doesn't contain gluten, doesn't spike your blood sugar, probably doesn't cause inflammation, and contains fair amounts of Vitamin K and others. Coconut oil has about 9 calories per gram, so a cup of that will have 1800 calories, while about 68% are medium-chain fatty acids, with other health benefits.

What are you doing that requires 1400-2100 empty calories per day? Bulking up for Sumo?

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Michael Phelps is an elite athlete. He has superior genes.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

The presence of antinutrients doesnt really seem concerning as barely anyone gets the proper complete range of micronutrients anyways. I doubt anything in the wild would get the proper range of micronutrients on a daily basis. Pasta seems the easiest way for me to get quick 3000 calories. True, paleo ancestors wouldnt eat grains, but paleo ancestors wouldnt do so much needless exercise on a daily basis either... Besides jack lalane ate oatmeal and he lived to 97.

Grains contain few micronutrients, so you could say they are less "nutritious", but they do contain lots of calories.

Excess protein also takes a toll on your liver and requires more water intake. So just eating protein without grains wont help me gain weight.

I just dont see a strong argument against grain consumption here especially from an athletes perspective.

The point is noone can get 4000-5000 calories easily without grains.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Arthritis, anyone?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    At best, you're getting about 700 calories per pound of pasta, and almost no nutrition. A stick of butter has about 800 calories, doesn't contain gluten, doesn't spike your blood sugar, probably doesn't cause inflammation, and contains fair amounts of Vitamin K and others. Coconut oil has about 9 calories per gram, so a cup of that will have 1800 calories, while about 68% are medium-chain fatty acids, with other health benefits.

What are you doing that requires 1400-2100 empty calories per day? Bulking up for Sumo?
    Butter and oil seriously? That much butter and oil will give you the craps.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast