Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what point can you no longer handle fasted workouts? page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Hey guys, it's been a while. Been busy with school and training so I haven't been online much.

As most of you may know, I've practice IF everyday for the past 2 months. It was great: gained weight, gained strength, felt amazing.

But these days it seems to be taxing my body too much. I don't have too much energy at the gym anymore, because I'm no longer squatting 150 lbs, but 200 (1.25 x BW).

Also, I'm not gaining weight anymore. It's really hard to eat 4,000 calories during the 4 hour window. 3,000 cals was doable, but now it's crazy.

What do you suggest? Is it normal to reach a point where we have to say, okay, this is too much for me to handle? I mean, Grok was active while on an empty stomach, but he wasn't carrying a 200 lbs beast on his shoulders!

So my question to all of you guys that lift while IF... have you reached that point?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Tarlach is offline Member

I have no problems keeping it up.

Are you over training? As the weight goes up, you need more recover time.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Still only 3 times a week at 1 hour per session. This Saturday I went to the gym after a small breakfast and then lunch, and had a pretty kick ass work out. That&#39;s making me reconsider.

How heavy are you lifting and at what body weight?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member

I used to life fasted about a year or so ago but stopped after a little bit, however I am planning on starting up again with it tomorrow morning. Any tips?

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I&#39;m with Tarlach. Your description certainly sounds like overtraining. You&#39;re lifting heavier and therefore need more recovery time. (No, you shouldn&#39;t be able to do the same number of workouts at heavier weight just because you&#39;re getting stronger -- I made that mistake, too.)

Try cutting back to 2 heavy workouts per week for a while and see how you feel. If you&#39;re like me, you&#39;ll need to replace that workout with something else (metcon or light gymnastics) in order to tolerate the rest, mentally.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Tarlach is offline Member

I&#39;m about 180lb and I&#39;m almost at 2x deadlifts after first doing them 3 months ago.

I only lift once every 3 days. I found two days was not enough recovery time.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

A week, of everyday body weight exercises, some cardio and a heavy lift, two at most.

After that everything just suffers for me, including fat loss, mood etc.

I need that one day two-meal carb-up, little evolutionary quirk I guess...or habituation?

shastagirl Guest

maybe school is taxing you a little too. all that brain power uses up energy too!

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

been working out fasted for ...oh i dont know exactly... but something around 7 years. and i gain in progressive strength all the time. the musclehypertrophy has slowed ofcourse but strenghgains havent. so yes, id say its about getting enough rest - strength is about nerves also and they need a longer time to recover than muscles.

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Vick is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I&#39;d say you are overtraining. Take a week off and see how you feel.

Exercise is like medication. An overdose can be worse than not enough exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast