Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't wrap my heat around metabolism and skipping meals page

Mhatcher17 is offline Member

Can't wrap my heat around metabolism and skipping meals

Primal Fuel
    I have read over and over again the information about how I have always been mislead about making sure I eat throughout the day and metabolism and what PB has to say about skipping meals. I just can't seem to get my brain to accept the PB way.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Its because the fats keep your body fueled for much longer (like a big fat log burning) but when we are running on the sugars (carbs) its like a piece of paper burning, so of course you have to eat more often to keep your body going.
    Trust me, PB won't ruin your metabolism, it will fix it

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Is what you are doing now working for you? If not, try something different. You may be surprised to find out that there is a better way.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I found I wasn't ready to skip meals until about 5 months into eating paleo/primal.

My body is now frequently telling me it wants to skip meals, and I regularly eat only two meals on non-working days (today I ended a 19 hour fast with ease, following half an hour of yoga, half an hour of strength training and an hour of cardio interval training). This feels completely natural now... but would have been hard to imagine before, especially skipping breakfast.

That said I've been eating more carbs than recommended by PB for weight loss, so I'm sure this would have come sooner had I been following PB more strictly from the start.

So follow PB, and follow your appetite, not your brain!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I agree, let your body heal and fill in the nutritional hole.
    My nutritional hole was so empty it took about a year for me to feel my body (or brain) naturally wanting to skip meals, it took a loooooong time!
    I also took in over 3000 calories a day the first 9 months or so and lost 20 lbs while literally stuffing my face with no end in sight, daily, every hour, all day long drinking full fat RAW milk and eating huge meals 3x a day + snacks. It was insane...but I still lost weight, it was odd.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    This is a concept that CW has just gotten completely wrong... regardless of whether you eat PB or traditional Paleo, vegan, or whatever. The idea that your metabolism slows down and becomes "damaged" if you don't eat at least every three hours is completely and utterly false.

A simple way to think about it is to consider the evolutionary consequences of this mechanism in a prehistoric light. Could creatures have existed that needed to eat every three hours to maintain their health? Maybe, but I bet they are extinct, because that is a terrible genetic trait that would not be favored for natural selection.

Here is a study which finds that metabolic rate doesn't begin to significantly slow down until a fast reaches 60 hours:

Leucine, glucose, and energy metabolism after... [Am J Clin Nutr. 1987] - PubMed - NCBI

Here is a study which finds that blood sugar levels do not become low enough to significantly affect your mental state until a fast reaches at least 84 hours:

Leucine, glucose, and energy metabolism after... [Am J Clin Nutr. 1987] - PubMed - NCBI

The take away is that it really doesn't matter when you eat, and you should do what is comfortable. I am inclined to do a daily morning fast because I never liked breakfast much anyway, and I like to EAT when I do. Most people find comfort in the 2-3 meals a day, range. The actual potential benefits of intermittent fasting is still a very new field of research, but is it bad for you? No. Not in the slightest.
    Last edited by primal pete; 01-02-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration -- Stewart and Fleming 49 (569): 203 -- Postgraduate Medical Journal

"Man fasted for 382 days, lost 275 lbs of fat, suffered no ill effects"

still afraid to skip a meal?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMarvelousMoment View Post
    Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration -- Stewart and Fleming 49 (569): 203 -- Postgraduate Medical Journal

Wow.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMarvelousMoment View Post

The American public has been brainwashed~ they throw around *facts* like 'you must feed your metabolism or you will ruin it' and 'you must keep your blood sugars stable or your brain won't be fed' ~ please my longest fast was 10 days, water only. And my metabolism is just fine. If our caveman ancestors couldn't adapt to food shortages, we wouldn't be here.

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I suspect that any evidence about burning less fat or whatever from skipping meals (if there is any) came from studies of people who were hungry and didn't eat. Like all the teen girls who skipped breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast