Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't wrap my heat around metabolism and skipping meals page 2

dado Guest
    Primal Fuel
    metabolism doesn't go up and down like a roller coaster; it's pretty stable over time. it is not such a fragile thing.

evertastica is offline Member
    The metabolism thing is some crazy myth. I wasn't even trying to lose weight, but due to my schedule I would randomly end up fasting 14-18 hours 4 or 5 days of the week. I gained muscle, lost fat, felt amazing too. My head is much clearer and I feel more energetic if I eat 2 meals in an 8 hour window. Forget the nonsense about keeping your body buring food. I was eating a paleo/primal type diet (no more than 150g of carbs per day)
    We are not cows/horses that need to graze all day, just compare the digestive system and size/purpose of the animal!
    People who eat the SAD and skip meals are more likely to have problems because they are carb burners and therefore constantly need that source of energy.

Unless you've done damage through years of dieting and changes, there is no reason that skipping a meal here and there will hurt you. It might even help you. If you are physically hungry...eat! If you suspect you have damage, do the leptin reset.

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    A simple way to think about it is to consider the evolutionary consequences of this mechanism in a prehistoric light. Could creatures have existed that needed to eat every three hours to maintain their health? Maybe, but I bet they are extinct, because that is a terrible genetic trait that would not be favored for natural selection.
    Exactly. "Skipping meals" is the wrong way to think about it. The whole concept of "mealtime" is brand-new, evolutionarily speaking. For the longest, longest time, we ate what we could find or kill, when we could find or kill it. If it's bad for us to listen to our bodies instead of looking at the clock, how are any of us even here?

Mhatcher17 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evertastica View Post
    Unless you've done damage through years of dieting and changes, there is no reason that skipping a meal here and there will hurt you. It might even help you. If you are physically hungry...eat! If you suspect you have damage, do the leptin reset.
    So how do you know if there is damage?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I started Atkins in February of 2010 and recently have been introduced to PB by a friend. While during atkins, I lost 25 lbs which is right in the middle to top of the weight suggested for my height. I would say that most of my eating was very close to what is said on PB but now I have changed to make it more so--I just needed to make a few small changes to get it in line.

Mhatcher17 is offline Member
    Whoops! Just saw about the damage and the leptin reset. I have looked that up, but so far, I am losing weight, so I do not think that I am going to do the leptin reset yet. I don't crave carbs (well sometimes--salty potato chips are about it), I did gain some weight back when I "fell off the horse" earlier but I am losing again. Hopefully this means that I do not need to do the leptin reset.

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Employing the "grazing" approach was something that I think really messed up my metabolism to a certain extent. It seems like when I'm grazing (or eating more frequent small meals), I just get hungry more often. When I eat 2 or 3 larger meals (notice I said "larger" - not "large" or "huge") and those meals are healthy & primal with plenty of the right things (protein, veg, fat), then I simply don't get hungry as often and I've consquently been eating fewer calories overall.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I've heard of another benefit of avoiding snacking and only eating 2/3 meals a day - that it gives your pancreas sufficient time to recover between feeds.

Sorry, I don't have any references. I heard this from a nutritionist who recommends grain-free diets and many elements of paleo and primal nutrition. He said that digestion of a meal on average kills 50 pancreas cells. The pancreas has to work hard producing up to around 25 protein and fat digesting enzymes to digest a meal. It only produces 1 carb-digesting enzyme (that says it all!). On average it takes 6 hours for the pancreas to fully recover after a meal. Therefore one should ideally aim for at least 6 hours between meals.

The majority of people consuming SAD have compromised pancreas function due to eating patterns among other problems. Apart from diabetes, pancreatic inflammation and disease receive too little attention as there is so much focus on liver disease. Ironically, an under-performing pancreas puts more stress on the liver.

Of course, the better one's pancreas is functioning:
    (a) the more optimal the absorption of nutrients and macronutrients from food
    (b) the more completely proteins are broken down, which reduces the risk of immune reactions to protein fragments
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-06-2012 at 05:00 AM. Reason: typo
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

activia is offline Senior Member
    When I'm feeling ill fasting makes me feel much much better. It seems to be a time for your body to repair itself.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhatcher17 View Post
    So how do you know if there is damage?
    From this:
    MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION - Jack Kruse
    1. First make sure you really are Leptin resistant (LR) to begin with.
    The easiest way to do this if you are heavy is to look in the mirror. If you’re overweight you definitely are Leptin resistant. If you still have a large appetite and crave carbohydrates, especially at night, these are also signs that you are likely Leptin resistant. If you are fit or in decent shape and not sure based upon the above symptoms, I would tell you to go get a blood test and check your reverse T3. It will be elevated. I also recommend simultaneously checking a salivary cortisol level. With LR, you will always see higher cortisol levels later in the day.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member
    It's helpful for me to think in terms of hormones.

It's not about metabolism, as much as it is getting our body in the right place when it comes to hormones.

This is the whole idea of hormesis--we introduce our bodies to a small stressor that brings about a beneficial change.

That's the point of fasting. It brings about a hormetic change that lets our bodies know that it's okay to burn stored fat for fuel, and that your body actively wants to be leaner. There's some good stuff about hormesis here if you want to check it out: Hormesis*/* Getting Stronger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12