Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foam Rollers? page

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I've been reading just about everywhere that a foam roller is a must have for exercise junkies with tight muscles. A website reccomended this one..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000Y4W9VA/ref=sr_1_olp_4?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1265674811&sr=8-4&condition=new

Although, I can't imagine one size fits all? You guys use foam rollers?

Ry
    Ry is offline Member

I "foam roll" everyday with a baseball and my metal water bottle. I started out with an actual foam roller but after a while it wasn't firm enough to really get at my muscles.

Anyways, I would strongly encourage foam rolling for anyone who frequently spends time seated at a desk. You develop so many muscle imbalances by doing this day in and day out. From personal experience I feel like my athletic performance has benefited(as a distance runner) from rolling. And I also just feel better after rolling regularly.

I'm a fan. I use one multiple times a week to roll out the knots in my IT bands, hips, and glutes.

buffalo is offline Junior Member

Love the foam roller, although I don't use mine often enough. Sometimes it can sting!

Rolling around with it under your back is definitely primal. I'm sure Grok would have rolled around on furs wrapped around logs while sitting around the campfire. It feels too good to roll out your back not too!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

The first time I used one on my back I was so sore for the next few days. It really does break up those muscular adhesions.

I've discovered that doing somersaults and shoulder rolls provide a similar effect.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

What sizes/brands did you guys invest in?

bruce.b is offline Member

Just be aware that not everyone thinks they are a good idea. I haven't bothered to research why as foam rollers don't interest me. I feel they lie somewhere in the range between useless and possibly a bad idea. I personally wouldn't waste the money. If you get tight you're exercising incorrectly.

bruce b.

Ry
    Ry is offline Member

bruce- you are the first person I have heard say that foam rolling not a good thing. I was wondering if you could say a little more about your reason for this.

I agree that exercising the correct muscles with correct technique is extremely important, but there are 23 hours a day that most of us don't exercise during which muscle tightness and imbalance can occur. Also most of us have been developing muscle imbalances and improper nerve patterns since our childhoods as a result of the shoes we wear, the surfaces and the positions we sleep in, the chairs we sit in, unilateral activities like throwing a ball or always mousing with one hand on your computer, etc.

bruce.b is offline Member

My personal experience is that they don't help. Do some active stretches and light bodyweight movements instead.

http://miketnelson.blogspot.com/2008/01/get-off-foam-roller.html

Also Adam Glass has a new thing he does called gym.movement. They claim to base everything they do on testing and their claim is that using a foam roller has a negative impact on performance and not to use it. I glanced at the gym movement site but didn't have a lot of interest.

bruce b.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I use this one: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/PRO207/

Totally eliminated my ITB pain. It hurts like a bitch the first few times you do it especially if your problem area is severe but it's totally worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast