Thread: Working out X hours after eating page

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member

Working out X hours after eating

Primal Fuel
    I workout at noon, 4ish hours in after eating. So, ok.

Yesterday I had to workout at night. This was 6 hours after eating, at 8.30-9.30pm. I had the best workout in months. Felt strong as hell.

I thought I'd be weaker if we go a number of hours without eating. I just felt better. I always get a little bit nervous and stressed between meals, especially if it's a workout day, because of the correlation I put in my mind about X hours after eating = energy levels. All that stupid stress... for what?

Someone explain this to me?

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Less energy used for digestion = more energy for workout perhaps?

Hard to judge...especially when it just happened once and I'm sure it's different for everyone. I usually work out about 4-5 hours after eating. I don't like to workout close to a meal.
    Last edited by healthy11; 01-02-2012 at 02:13 PM.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    I have done an intense weight workout on a full stomach, as well as an 18 hour fast, and I personally find no difference between those two scenarios. I really wouldn't worry about the daily logistics of food as long as your long term macros are solid. It's not like I can suddendly lift 50lbs less because I haven't eaten in 6 hours as opposed to 4 hours.

Get a good meal within 2 hours of a hard workout though

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    I workout at noon, 4ish hours in after eating. So, ok.

Yesterday I had to workout at night. This was 6 hours after eating, at 8.30-9.30pm. I had the best workout in months. Felt strong as hell.

I thought I'd be weaker if we go a number of hours without eating. I just felt better. I always get a little bit nervous and stressed between meals, especially if it's a workout day, because of the correlation I put in my mind about X hours after eating = energy levels. All that stupid stress... for what?

Someone explain this to me?
    gotta get it out of your head. martin on leangains crunched some numbers on how long things take to digest, and the gist i got was that even 20 or 30 hours after a meal, the good stuff is seeping into your system.

i prefer to eat light before a work out.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to workout at my usual time today and check how I feel.

bobbli is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Less energy used for digestion = more energy for workout perhaps?

Hard to judge...especially when it just happened once and I'm sure it's different for everyone. I usually work out about 4-5 hours after eating. I don't like to workout close to a meal.
    I kinda agree. I usually feel sleepy after a very heavy lunch due to this. I guess it also depends on the overall health of your body cells and how they absorb and utilize nutrients.