Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No question really, just an observation page

tfarny is offline Senior Member

No question really, just an observation

Primal Fuel
    I've been in Egypt for the past week and I'll be here for another two. It's been awesome! And completely, totally safe.
    but of course I want to talk about health and food.
    The diet here is very, very much "healthy cw" for the most part - tons of bread, mostly whole grain pitas, all kinds of beans, rice, and lentils, plenty of fruit and veg. Lentils on a pita is a very standard type of meal. Of course there's meat, but this is a pretty poor country and you don't see the locals eating a lot of it. they like sugar and honey, for sure, but not much dairy, etc.
    on the one hand, I like to stay primal because it's better for me, but on the other hand, I like to eat local food as much as possible. Yesterday for lunch I ate lentil soup, falafel (fried chick pea balls), with tahini (sesame dip) and babaghanoush (eggplant sesame dip). Also whole wheat pitas. I have to say, it doesn't feel good or healthy even though it tastes decent. Breakfasts in particular are of the "all carb" variety which I now find does not make feel good. My gut is hating me right now and has been for a few days. So one comment is that wow, I'm so glad I don't aspire to eat like this all the time, and from here on out I'm going to try to primalize my foods more.
    Second comment - there are plenty of fat and obese people in this poor, low fat, "healthy whole grains" country. Not as many as in the "large parts" of America of course, but a lot more than Oprah would predict. CW would look at this diet and predict that everyone would be in glowing health and ideal weight, but I just don't see it.

Everything else is great, though! Having a blast.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    That's interesting, but not surprising. Keep reporting back!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

otzi Guest
    babaghanoush

That's fun to say! Enjoy your trip.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I've always wanted to visit the Middle East. I've been fascinated by their food for a while though I don't know a lot about it. I would definitely stay fairly Primal but would also sample enough local cuisine so that I didn't miss out on what might be a once in a lifetime experience.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Second comment - there are plenty of fat and obese people in this poor, low fat, "healthy whole grains" country. Not as many as in the "large parts" of America of course, but a lot more than Oprah would predict. CW would look at this diet and predict that everyone would be in glowing health and ideal weight, but I just don't see it.

Everything else is great, though! Having a blast.
    So true.

Thanks for your observation and glad you're having a blast!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    babaghanoush

That's fun to say! Enjoy your trip.
    LOL. I like saying it too. Weird.

Thanks for the info tfarny. Interesting about how there are more overweight people there than one would think.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

I've been eating really well since I got back on track. Tonight: delicious lamb chunks, rice, salad, and all the middle eastern side dishes. Said no to bread and to beer. The other night I ate a 1 kilo whole grilled fresh fish. Awesome.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    Not Middle Eastern, but I had Ethiopian food a few months ago. I ordered the goat, and paid 10 bucks for maybe 4 oz of goat covered in bad sauce and a TON of bread. What a rip off...

Now I'm in Cairo and I have a local friend who's been taking me out to eat at really nice, somewhat high end but not touristy restaurants for every meal.
    1. My god they eat a lot! and they eat late! Lunch is around 4 pm and involves huge piles of food, dinner is around 9 or ten and involved only slightly less food.
    2. They love their sweets. For lunch yesterday we ate a huge platter of clams, fish, 5 different veg sides, and rice. I waddled outside very content. Then my friend takes me straight away to a juice stand where he orders fresh-crushed juice of sugarcane. Literally a stalk of sugarcane run through a roller press with the juice poured into a cup. He was in heaven - it actually repelled me. Dessert after every major meal, bread with every meal.
    They do tend to do a morning IF, though. So: conventional healthy CW food, plenty of whole grains, but also plenty of sweets and a high volume of calories all around.
    And I have seen numerous obese and some morbidly obese persons walking around, for sure. Something you never ever see among the rice-eating high carb low sugar Asian countries I normally travel to. Colombians also loved their sweets and were larger than you'd think, come to think of it.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Half of my family lives in Morocco, and last time I was there, I was a vegan, so I didn't try ANY of the traditional cuisine. FUHHHHH. Next time I go, I plan on having as much lamb and fish as I care for. I don't like falafel at all, but I will say that Middle Eastern bread is incredible. I doubt I'll eat much of that when I go next, though.

There is also nothing like Moroccan tea or the baklava/bastilla served in Morocco. That's something I will be enjoying. The honey there is ridiculously good, too.
    Last edited by tarek; 01-14-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast