Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 27, health problems, and a second change page

pup_bailey is offline Junior Member

Arrow 27, health problems, and a second change

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello everyone,

My name is Bailey and I'm a 27 year old male in grad school right now. My story is mixed to say the least. In November of 2010, after a series of health issues (high liver enzymes, biopsies, a life time of psoriasis and bad IBS) I gave the paleo diet a try at the recommendation of a friend. Give it a month she said.

For one month I ate paleo. The only thing I ate outside of that "regiment" was I still allowed myself cream in my coffee. ANd yet, after a month, none of my health problems had improved. The 30 day challenges and miracles others had were not happening for me. I was disappointed. After 30 days the only thing I had to show for my efforts was a higher food bill and an overall sense that something was wrong with me (much like my previous efforts to improve my health).

I was always "husky" as my mother used to say, but never really big. I carried my weight well, and by graduate school was 210 and this was with little exercise. I started working out (weights, mainly things like Squats, deadlifts, ect) and got muscle results. My weight stayed the same (same belly I have had since 16) and same health issues. I was diagnosed with psoriasis (like most of my family) at 16 as well as hypothyroidism, and was on meds for both of these. After the failure to see significant changes after 30 days, I tried to transition to a low carb regiment, but slacked off.

No one in the Paleo community offered much help other than "Do it longer!" which is not encouraging when you are the only one in a house full of three non primal males who eat carbs all the time. But more disappointing was that no one could tell me why I saw NO improvement. Either way, here I am.

I bought Marks books for my Kindle and have been reading them and I'm going to give this another shot. The support of the community would be so helpful to me, as I feel like if I can keep my head in the game maybe I might see different results. Considering my terribly psoriasis, stomach issues, weight issues and the like, anything is worth my life.

I currently go to the gym 3-4x per week for weight training. Any help, friendship, support, or tips would be SO helpful to me.

Regards,
    Bailey.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    It might just be as simple as the cream you might have to drop that too.
    Goodluck with it all .
    This is a great community and will help you a lot

jammies is offline Senior Member
    When you have autoimmune issues I think it it better to start off with Rob Wolf's autoimmune protocol/low lectin primal. I don't think I could have stuck with primal either unless I had done those. There is quite possibly a food item such as dairy (even the tiny bit in coffee or butter), nuts, eggs, or nightshades that are inflaming your system making it impossible to see the benefits of primal eating.

Also, make sure you are getting plenty of Vitamin D. Get your levels checked and supplement up to the upper end of normal. It's tough too feel good with a lower d level.

Rob Wolf FAQ

THE LECTIN STORY

I found that nightshades were the killer for me and cause a lot of my arthritis. Eliminating nuts cleared my psoriasis. And eliminating dairy improved my energy. You don't have to get rid of all of them forever. Just commit to one month of primal eating without these foods. After a month see how you feel then add one at a time back in and see what happens. It is sooo worth it for me.

Also - how is your thyroid function now? No matter how well you eat, if you thyroid is not working you will feel like crap.

Good luck. I know it can be really tough. But the autoimmune life is harder. Once you see how it feels to feel good you won't want to go back.

My current thyroid is managed by medication and my levels are good according to my doc (that is with taking 125 mcgs of Synthroid a day). I dont really eat nuts so that won't be a problem, even cream I could manage without. While I didn't eat a lot of eggs before, going primal without eggs or onions will certainly be a challenge. Im willing to try it certainly. I could see how some of them could cause issues when combined.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pup_bailey View Post
    My current thyroid is managed by medication and my levels are good according to my doc (that is with taking 125 mcgs of Synthroid a day). I dont really eat nuts so that won't be a problem, even cream I could manage without. While I didn't eat a lot of eggs before, going primal without eggs or onions will certainly be a challenge. Im willing to try it certainly. I could see how some of them could cause issues when combined.
    Do you know what your thyroid labs look like? It seems pretty common for doctors to under-medicate thyroid patients.

What specifically are your health goals? We can help you better if we know more about your symptoms.

Also - PLEASE don't forget about vitamin D and nightshades. Vitamin D is a critical part of this equation.

My health goals are to improve my body composition (lose fat and my belly, increase muscle mass), help drastically improve my psoriasis, and improve my IBS symptoms. I can get a copy of my thyroid labs when the doctors offices reopen on Tuesday. I am supplementing with Vitamin D (currently 4,000 IU's per day) and Omega 3's (so much fish oil, calculated using Robb Wolf's old fish oil calculator )

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I'd love to help! It's possible that you're missing some key vitamins or minerals necessary for metabolizing your fat. What do you eat on a daily and weekly basis? Make sure you're at least getting a little liver in there, and seaweed and/or oysters for your thyroid. Also, GTFAway from tap water, it's basically designed to destroy your thyroid.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Well I use a Brita filter for my water, I don't drink it straight from the tap.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Brita does nothing to fluoride. You have to either go to a well, distill, or use RO to get away from the industrial waste they try to feed you. Well water is the most balanced and affordable source for most. Check out your city for local artesian wells, and get a quick report on the water quality. Takes about ten minutes and you'll never go back to the sludge. But this only addresses your thyroid.

For the weight loss, start out at ground zero! Cooked greens, meat products, and lots of healthy fat like coconut oil and tallow or butter. My body does best when I go very low carb for a few days, then have a sweet potato day to refeed, but I'm already down 45 pounds and nearing my target weight. For the weight you are at, the effort should be minimal. Just getting away from all the sugar and grains really ought to have made a difference unless you are under a lot of stress. Stress is often downplayed, but many people have no idea how stressed-out they are until they learn active relaxation and find out, for the first time, what it means to relax.

Again, just tossing out ideas. Need your feedback to get to the bottom of all this.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I live in Oregon, our water isn't fluoridated at all and comes from the local reservoirs. Even our local water reports show almost none in the local supplies (Oregon voted against fluoridation year after year).

As for weight, the last time I did the paleo I did exactly what you said. No sugar, no grains, very low carb. Stress levels are difficult as I'm a graduate student and dont have a lot of control over that aspect of my life. I do exercise to relax, play games and take time to rest when I'm tired. Even with that, no weight loss and my psoriasis didn't improve. I'm leaning toward the auto-immune thing referenced above omitting nightshades to see how I do with that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast