Thread: Building Muscle and Losing Fat...Advice Needed page

KnottyDreadlock is offline Junior Member

Building Muscle and Losing Fat...Advice Needed

Shop Now
    Hi everyone. I need some guidance as I am serious about getting into serious shape, losing fat and building lean mass for the first time in my life.

Quick background: I was an active high school athlete and was always naturally bigger and stronger than the other kids. In college and post college I've gained a lot of weight. Currently I'm 6'4 and 255#. I started primal (again...first time in 2009) in November and at that time I weighed 285#.

In 2009 I made a half-assed effort with the Paleo diet. At that time I had a DEXA scan done which indicated that my fat free mass was 195#. Currently I have a bio-impedence home scale which indicates by BF% at 24.1% (which puts me roughly around 195 still).

So currently I'm very dedicated to Primal and have made great strides in figuring out how to live in the lifestyle. In my life I have never really made an effort to train seriously. So I'm a bit uncertain about what my goals should be. On the surface I can say I'd like to be at 8% body fat, but I'd also like to put on 20# or so of lean muscle. Should I focus on doing one before the other (losing fat then gaining muscle)? Should I worry about protein supplementation (Mark recommends 1g/# of lean mass, but I'm coming up at 150g protein a day even feeling as though i'm stuffing myself)?

Just looking for some guidance. Thank you in advance.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Eat Primal
    Train Primal
    It may sound flippant but that is what you need to do....lift heavy in a program you like, walk a lot, spring and eat clean...the rest will follow.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    The way your numbers look, you want to lose about 20 pounds while reducing your body fat. Losing fat is far faster than building muscle, so you will lose more weight than that before you can build it back up. I'd recommend Martin Berkhan's Leangains methods, but eating primally will help you drop the fat, and lifting heavy will help you build the muscle. 20 pounds is a lot of muscle to build.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Eat Primal
    Train Primal
    It may sound flippant but that is what you need to do....lift heavy in a program you like, walk a lot, spring and eat clean...the rest will follow.
    QFT. It really is this simple.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.