Thread: My Primal Journey (mchl3377) page

mchl3377 is offline Junior Member

Post My Primal Journey (mchl3377)

I am an almost 41 year old, stay at home Mom of a 2 year old son. I have struggled with my weight & diet pretty much my whole life. It's a family epidemic going back several generations. I'm ready to stop the cycle! DH & I have been married for 6 years. 3 of those years included some heavy-duty fertility treatments adding to my already out of balance hormones. We adopted our son as a newborn and I wouldn't trade him for anyone! DH comes from a family of very thin/borderline underweight members. He is tall (6 feet), slender & struggles to stay above 150 on the scale. He doesn't understand my perspective of battling weight/body image issues. That causes some serious discussions in our house.

I am a sugar/carb/chocolate junkie. I've researched and come to the conclusion that PB is the best way to overcome the addiction, re-balance my hormones & ultimately, loose the extra 40 lbs I've gained in the last 4 years. I have other medical issues that I am hoping to greatly reduce and/or completely eliminate. Fortunately, I don't have any blood pressure/diabetes issues. From what I've read by Mark, being in a constant state of systemic inflamation is what is contributing to my allergy/congestion issues.

I am blessed that DH will eat anything I cook for him with no complaint. We've been talking about making this change for a few weeks and he is sorta ok with it. He's hesitant to give up the rice & potatoes while he's working out so much (at least 3 days @ the gym). DS is still at the age where he's discovering food. I have noticed that when I feed him snacks/crackers/cereals that he can become more irritable very quickly. I would like to impact his (and any future child(ren)'s) health by starting him off right.

Personally, I LOVE me a good Beef Filet wrapped in bacon & slathered with garlic butter. The problem is that I also love a loaded bake potato to go with it. I have a little bit of veggie-aversion. Fruits (pretty much all kinds) I will eat 'til the cows come home. Veggies are limited to a very small, boring selection. I'm not sure how well that will work. Nuts are even worse...don't eat any except peanuts (and those don't count as nuts). Will have to find a fat supplement elsewhere, I guess.

Still, I'm looking forward to starting my journey. I've planned most of this week's meals to be PB-friendly. I have planned breakfast, lunch & snacks for me as well. One day a week we have dinner with DH's parents so I don't have a lot of control over what I get there. It's going to make things more interesting that's for sure.

I am 5'4" tall with a large muscle mass & big bones. I weighed 155 & wore a size 10 dress at my wedding. My personal size goal is to fit back into my dress. I would also like to have a LOT more energy as DS has 2 speeds (turbo & stop) and wears me out every day.

Starting Stats:
    Weight: 195 (highest I've been in 10 years)
    Pants size: 18
    Overall Body Image: frumpy

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Find out what works for you. I eat potatoes every day and do fine. (NOT primal. I don't define myself as primal.) You don't HAVE to eat lots of veg, although i love them. Hint: butter.

Nuts are OK but not at all necessary.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thank you, Hedonist.

I've decided that keeping red potatoes will help with transition. Mainly because they are so yummy when roasted in olive oil with rosemary & cracked pepper.

I sauted green beans with garlic in bacon fat. They were very yummy also. I see more bacon fat in my future.

Primal Blueprint Day 1 recap & Day 2 plan

Well, I mostly made it through Day 1. I caved & ate a Rice Krispie treat (and it wasn't a small one...). I actually consider that a success considering what my previous binges were. I think it helped that I stayed busy during the day. I got my pantry & fridge stocked for now.

I talked to DH last night about purchasing a calf. My uncle raises grass-fed Herefords on his farm. He has some of the yummiest beef I've tasted. DH's concern is that we may not have room once it's been butchered. We have a full-sized upright freezer in the garage. Since we feed both of our dogs raw chicken, a month's of their meals take up almost half of the space. I am trying to convince him that we can make room and our cost/lb would be much cheaper. That & I'm about fed up with chicken & pork chops.

I sat down on Sunday and made a menu plan for this week. After trekking to 4 different grocery stores between Sunday & yesterday, I am stocked with lots of Paleo food (and out of food $$). Not a good situation being married to a Tax Accountant. He's shocked that I spent all of our allotted grocery money in 2 days. I cited the cost of inflation & better quality food. I also consider all of the walking around the stores as part of my Move Slowly workout. Didn't track distance though.

The plan for today is:

Breakfast: Eggs, sausage & fruit w/dip (very yummy)
    Lunch: Tuna salad with boiled egg, pickle & mayo (also yummy)
    Dinner: Primal meatloaf, mashed cauliflower & green salad
    Snacks: berry smoothie, baby carrots with veggie dip (if desired)

Exercise: Post nap dog walk with my toddler (J) & Pseudo Cross-Fit class at the gym tonight.

I've been drinking Iced Tea instead of Diet Cokes and already feel better.

Well, I'm off to get dinner done before J wakes up. It's crazy & exhausting trying to cook & coral a 2 yr old!

Red face Day 3 & 4 = epic failure

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "Sugar is a socially acceptable, highly addictive drug. Quitting is difficult & withdrawal really sucks!" That is what I posted on my fb page this afternoon. The past 2 days have been a total disaster from the get-go.

Yesterday (Wednesday) was my "day off". My in-laws take J for the day so I can get my errands/appointments done without carting him all over town. I started the day an hour early to a first-time counseling appointment (had the wrong time in my calendar). I was so stressed about the session that I hit a drive through for breakfast tacos...2 of them...egg, sausage & cheese all wrapped in a "not-so-tasty" tortilla. Add a 32 oz Diet Coke & fried apple pie and that completes breakfast. Then, I was so stressed after the appointment because I didn't like the lady AT ALL and she told me stuff I already knew, that I went to another drive through for fried chicken, potatoes, another 32 oz Diet Coke and ice cream.

I spent the afternoon completely bloated & MISERABLE!! I was not excited about having dinner with my in-laws because I felt like crap. I ate a little bit of the stir fried chicken & brown rice my MIL cooked. Really, just enough to be polite. I went to bed really uncomfortable and was dragging this morning.

After the epic failure yesterday, one would think I could start today on the right track. Nope. Not me. J & I were running late for my class (it was our first day back after 3 weeks for Christmas). So what do I do, get donuts. My leader asked if I could stop & get some for our class and instead of putting them in the back where I couldn't get to them, I ordered extra and ate them in the car. Oh, I gave J some as well. Nothing like starting my 2 yo's day with tons of sugar! We both came home and went straight to bed. I slept for over an hour & still had to drag my sorry hiney out of bed. I made a huge Primal salad with chicken & 2 boiled eggs for lunch and have eaten nothing since then. I'm about ready for bed. I have a better plan for tomorrow already in place. I think part of my failure was a lack of planning for the extra stress and underestimating the cravings I would have after ODing on sugar for years. I also have to plan to get up earlier on Thursdays so I can cook breakfast for us before leaving for class. Oh, and say "no" to the donuts or pick up some fruit for class instead!

Tomorrow's Plan:
    Breakfast: eggs, bacon, almond flour biscuits & banana
    Lunch: Primal salad with shrimp
    Dinner: still working on that. Probably baked Mahi Mahi fillets with a vegetable medley
    Snack: Protein smoothie with frozen berries

I am taking J to the Children's Museum in the morning. We have a great area just for kids under 3 where he can run until he is exhausted. I am meeting a couple of other Moms so we can visit while the kids terrorize the Tot Spot.

Onward & upward...ready for Day 5's challenges!