Thread: So frustrated... page

3littlebirds is offline Junior Member

So frustrated...

With myself. Already. This is probably going to be long, but I would SO appreciate some insight. A little back story to explain how I ended up here in Primalville:

I have always loved carbs...they are my absolute favorite group of foods. Bread, pasta, bagels, rice, soft pretzels, crackers, etc. I prefer all of these things plain for the most part, and have never been much for cakes, cookies, pies and the like. I gravitate toward sugary candy like jelly beans and skittles. I've never been truly overweight by normal standards, but do fluctuate upward from my personal comfortable weight of about 135 (I'm 5'5;medium build). I do love vegetables (a lot) and fruit (a little less). I've never been a big meat eater and, in fact, was vegetarian from age 11 to 24. I ate a very balanced diet growing up, never eat fast food and have never relied on heavily processed items. I LOVE to cook and am fascinated with all things culinary and nutrition related. I leaned steeply toward the low-fat, high carb mentality, not because I thought it was best nutritionally, but because they are the foods to which I naturally gravitate. Several years ago, I was about to get married and wanted to look my absolute best, so I decided to give Atkins a try. Weight-wise, I was successful. Mentally, I was miserable. I didn't enjoy anything I ate. I suspect that the majority of my weight loss was not primarily due to carb restriction, but more from not eating much, as very little "allowed" foods appealed to me. I also had constant headaches. Eventually I returned to my beloved carbs. Oddly enough, my weight evened out to a comfortable level for me and I rarely complained abut my weight (even my husband noticed this). Great, right? Well, during this comfortable period of about 2 years, here was my standard daily consumption routine: coffee with CoffeeMate and Splenda, no breakfast; nothing for lunch. I did not fast intentionally...I'm never hungry in the morning (even from childhood) and rarely feel even a twinge of hunger until about 3 pm. I also have a very active job that keeps me on the road all day and otherwise occupied. I cooked dinner every night, mostly for my husband's benefit and would eat a small portion, saving room for a snack later. Said snack was usually 3(!) Philadelphia soft pretzels, or 5-6 slices of rye or sourdough toast with SmartBalance, then half a pint of Ciao Bella sorbet or dessert. Then off to bed. This was everyday, like clockwork, for months, probably closer to 18-24 months. I was exceedingly happy with this set up...my weight was steady, my clothes fit and I looked and felt great.

I'm getting to the Primal point, I promise. Periodically, I get fed up with the overwhelming evidence that our country's food sources are contaminated and the entire industry/government regulation is about as corrupt as could be. About 8 months ago, I started doing a ton of research into the subject and wound up deciding to transition to a traditional, Weston A. Price style diet for myself and my husband. As a side note, all of my pets are fed a strict, meticulous, species-appropriate diet...I do not compromise on this and I concluded that I was silly to not do the same for the humans in the family. Switched over everything: grass-fed beef, pastured poultry/pork, raw dairy, wild caught salmon, pasture butter, coconut oil, etc, etc. The change was pretty thorough. I cut out everything white, but still ate whole grains, properly soaked/prepared. I completely cut out candy of any sort and only used natural sweeteners like honey. Gone were the pretzels and sorbet days. Lots of greens, good fats, quality protein, bone broth, fermented foods, some fruits, reasonable portions of all. About a 6 weeks ago, I realized that my clothes were
    getting tighter by the day. I try to avoid the scale, but got on it out of curiosity. I had gained 15 pounds!!! I am not ok with this. I was by no means underweight; if anything I flirted with the heavy side of the spectrum, but I was happy and comfortable before I switched to WAPF, although I knew my nutrition was lacking.

So, here I am, at least (probably more than) 15 pounds heavier than I should be. Intellectually, I am completely on board with the Primal philosophy and chose today to start eating as such. First day in, and I am miserable. Not because of crazy carb or sugar cravings...I've never felt the addiction symptoms that others do. I just don't WANT anything on the PB program. I have a hard time eating something just for the sake of putting something in my mouth. I'm not trying to be a brat, but how is it possible to have ZERO negative effects from eating grains, starches, sugar and the like? My bloodwork has been consistently good, as well. I know many people are motivated to eliminate those items because they feel so much better without them. Not the case for me. I didn't even feel any better on the WAPF plan, I just thought I was doing the best thing for my health. Carrying an extra 15-20 lbs is not best for my health, physical or mental. I'll concede that sugar is detrimental, but is there not anyone at all who thrives on primarily carbs and a low-to-medium amount of fat??

I'd love to give Primal a go and get rid of this extra weight, but I am feeling very little motivation to try when I could theoretically go back to my old (carb-filled but happy) ways. Anybody make it through this novel and have any thoughts? Please? Thank you!!

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    There is certainly no reason why you couldn't do high-carb Primal, if that's what makes you feel better! Just eat less fat and protein and more carby things, if that's what works for you. There are plenty of carb-heavy foods that don't contain wheat, soy, or gluten. You are probably consuming more calories now, as opposed to your one CW meal per day.

McChunky is offline Member
    Admittedly, I skimmed your post because it's TDL to read but from the points I gathered...

You may be one of those people who are fairly well adapted to eating grains and don't really notice any deleterious effects yet but you won't really know anything until you fully give this a try for 30 days straight.

At that point, you will have an idea of how you look, feel and perform eating no grains / sugar / legumes and I'd kick dairy for a month as well while you're at it. Then, start tinkering with what works for you.

I get what you're saying about how you ate before and maintained a happy weight but health is not just about weight and it's my belief that eating Paleo / Primal is going to have a far more pervasive impact on your life than just the scale.

I probably didn't really answer any of your questions but my advice is to just do it for a month then reevaluate. At the end of the day, you can't go wrong eating whole foods - meat, vegetables and fat for a month.
    Last edited by McChunky; 01-01-2012 at 08:55 PM.

amonkeywasmyuncle is offline Junior Member
    I feel your pain. I think everyone has to find their own balance. If you go to the Paleohacks website you will find all kinds of stuff where people have to play around with fat protein carb intake to balance what works best for their body type. Just last year scientists found that some humans still have Neanderthal genes. I can only imagine how different all of us are genetically and the histories of our food intake for the particular place that our tribe or group came from and how this affects what works best for us. Look how the Asian population can tolerate rice. If I eat rice I blow up like a blimp. Some people can tolerate lactose and some can't, and I think the story goes on and on for different types of food for different types of people. For me I like to think in terms of whole foods and go from there. Is it in its natural state or has it been processed and denatured? So I say make your own rules and play your own game. We are all unique and have to make decisions for our own heritage. The reason why I like Marks Daily Apple, Robb Wolf, Loren Cordain and Paleohacks is that they come from the dietary direction of evolutionary biology which makes complete sense to me. But I think the question then has to be asked, which tribe did you or I come from? Could their diet have been quite different in fruit,nut, vegetable,meat intake? Some were able to consume vast amounts of coconuts and probably some had none, yet we Paleo people eat coconut like there is no tomorrow. So I think the understanding of Paleo eating is in its infancy and to trust your innate understanding of yourself is millions of years in the making.
    Last edited by amonkeywasmyuncle; 01-01-2012 at 09:16 PM.

3littlebirds is offline Junior Member
    My post was so long...I'm sorry! Thank you all so much for your input, though. I tend to have an all or nothing mind-set and you have reminded me that I can modify and still make Primal improvements to my diet. Thanks for the support...much appreciated.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Don't feel bad about posting a lot. What frustrates me is people who post one paragraph then say they want our help.

Find what works for you. I do something closer to Archevore, which allows potatoes, corn, white rice and beans. I do great on them. (I may stop associating myself with Archevore based on Harris' latest vicious rant about Don Metesz.)
    Last edited by Hedonist; 01-01-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    +1 to what Hedonist and amonkeywasmyuncle said. I truly believe that you need to go with what works for your body, makes you feel good and gives you optimal health- and that is different for everyone and your body knows best. Listen to your body, but do eliminate all the crappy processed non-foods and eat wholesome foods as close to their natural state as possible. I like Mat Lalonde's take on paleo- everyone's different and what works on me may not work for you. How does the saying go- one man's medicine is another man's poison or something like that.

I say people can rave about what worked for them with religious fervor, vilify a whole class of foods, spew all kinds of studies supporting this or that, but at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding- how does it work for you?

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    3littlebirds, I can't offer you advice in terms of diet, but I can relate to what you are going through. I am very fond of carbs myself - cakes, pasta, chocolate, potatoes, rice. But I had been overweight/obese since I was a baby, my weight had virtually never been normal. And I have some health issues that might very well have to do with my diet - I have PCOS and osteoarthritis. PCOS is definitely related to diet and to carbohydrate metabolism, while osteoarthritis may or may not have much to do with diet, but overweight certainly aggravates it. All my life I had known I had to do something about my weight and I knew I would some day, eventually, when push came to shove. I just hoped to hit 40-45 or even 50, before my health forced me to make some lifestyle changes. Just like you I thought life could not be enjoyed, if I was not free to indulge in my favorite foods - carbs. I found meat indifferent, I could very well do without it. I went for days without eating vegetables, because I didn't feel the need to and I didn't like the taste either. I realized carbs were a comfort food for mer, but I was quite content with that state of things.

Until a time came, 2.5 years ago, when I realized I was buying bigger and bigger jeans sizes and was heavier than ever. I also noticed an even more drastic deterioration in my PCOS symptoms and that was what finally forced me to make some changes. I began eating less bread and sweets and more veggies. It was a very slow transition. All the time I was enjoying the foods I ate, I just ate more real, whole foods and less junk. And I started shedding the weight - very slowly, but the pounds started shedding. Some months later I reconsidered my diet, started eating even more veggies and meat and even less potatoes, rice and bread and the weight loss accelerated. At that point I also found out my osteoarthritis was a lot more severe than I had imagined. And that made me look for diet advice. I searched the Internet and stumbled upon MDA. And started following the primal blueprint eating plan. But now for the important part: as the weeks went by, I not only found my carb cravings had disappeared, but I also found myself craving meat and veggies! And fat! Me, the carboholic!

What I am trying to say is that you should give it time. Your food preferences can certainly change, I know mine did and I never thought that was possible.

And let me assure you, weight loss is very possible, once you limit your carb intake. And you only have 15 lbs to lose. I hade about 50 to lose. Now I have lost 55 and look better than ever My PCOS symptoms have improved too. So just give it time.
    Last edited by Sol y Sombra; 01-02-2012 at 04:22 AM.

nutritionistwannabe is offline Junior Member
    I'm new to primal and don't have anything to offer about that bit. But in reading your description of what you were eating before you switched, I thought it sounded like you just weren't eating many calories. Maybe you are just eating more calories now? Also, perhaps eating so few calories, and eating almost all of them as carbs and at nighttime, may have messed with your metabolism. I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not, just throwing out some thoughts to ponder.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i guess id say you are a person whos body wants a little more carb and less fat .... not everyones body can process teh fat, and some people need 100-150g a day to maintain and not gain .. some need less ...

the real question in my mind is if your body is tuned to burning fat instead of carbs/sugar yet .. it takes a lil while ..
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html