Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nutritional yeast page

MELANIE Guest

what is nutritional yeast and is it primal?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Of course not!

FairyRae2 Guest

IMO it's NASTY stuff (tastewise). Full of supplemental/synthetic I believe b-vits though. Some folks use it in recipes to replicate the flavor of cheese. (The thought of it makes me want to vomit--I've been dairy free for a while, and have tried it...it does NOT taste like cheese...)

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Is this the same stuff as Marmite? Only I found a jar of that in my cupboard and was wondering about it's primalishness

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

It's not quite the same thing as marmite. Marmite is the sediment from the bottom of beer barrels and (as I understand it) contains grain fractions as well as yeast, while nutritional yeast flakes are made by culturing yeast in sugar water and then drying the culture out once it has gone dormant. The flakiness results from the fact that it's usually done on a mesh screen to maximize surface area (not unlike how panko bread crumbs are manufactured).

Is it primal? Strictly speaking, no. Grok would have eaten incidental yeast spores all the time, but never in these quantities.

Is it bad for you? It's a pretty solid source of bioavailable b-vitamins, and I ate it frequently back when I was a vegetarian (near-vegan). I'm not aware of any negative qualities it has, but I can't say it's been high on my list of things to check out. I get my b-vitamins from steak these days.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

What about Brewer's Yeast? I looked into it as a major source of supplementation for Selenium (looking into multiple methods for metal toxicity cleansing).

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

Very similar in composition, but many preparations are still viable (as opposed to nutritional yeast where very few spores survive the drying (more like baking) process). To people with immunodeficiencies or (severe) gut flora imbalances this can present an issue as S. cerevisiae colonizes the gut in undesirable amounts. My bet would be that most people would tolerate it fine, though.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

coldwater is offline Member
    does anybody have more information about brewer's yeast? from what i've read, here are some benefit:
    - it's rich in antioxidants
    - contains an organic compound called glucose tolerance factor (GTF) which helps maintain normal blood sugar level
    - in part because of selenium, it boosts immunity
    - contains B vitamin complex
    - high amount of proteins, contains all essential amino acids for building and repairing tissues, bones, muscles and cartilage
    - apparently there are some studies that show that brewer's yeast lowers LDL while raising HDL

i'm not an expert and i don't really trust my judgment fully, but i only see benefits.

also, i can't find on the internet, but my container at home reads about 60g proteins and about 20g carbohydrates in 100g.

any thoughts?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I only feed it to my mealworms.

coldwater is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I only feed it to my mealworms.
    yes, i've seen it in the other post. but you haven't explained why? is it the taste, or you find that it is not necessary, or bad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast