Thread: Hello? Is anybody out there with Hashimotos Disease (Thyroiditis) page

2 old groks is offline Junior Member

Question Hello? Is anybody out there with Hashimotos Disease (Thyroiditis)

Primal Fuel
    My husband and I started today on the program. Since being diagnosed with Hashimotos in 2008. I have been struggling to keep the weight off...with little to no success, My Endo told me I can never eat another potato and I will never be thin again. Currently I am 185 lbs 5'4 and miserable. I am hoping that this diet will reset my Leptin as I have been a dieter since I was 12 (over weight as a child). I've tried all the diets...on Scarsdale my whold family lost weight .....I GAINED 8 LBS.
    Can anyone offer any advise as to how many carbs I can eat and what kind. I have read the Primal Blueprint 21 days and I am very excited. This is day one and I feel good. No cheating and not really hungry. Should I eat even if I'm not hungry?
    Thanks

jammies is offline Senior Member
    No need to eat if you are not hungry. Your appetite may come and go eating this way and that is fine.

I believe that with Hashi's the very important thing is to be gluten free. How is your thyroid function now? If you are under/improperly medicated it may be difficult to lose weight.

There are a wide variety of approaches to carb intake that work for different people. To start weight loss it may be helpful to keep your carbs pretty low in the beginning. Mark recommends 50-100 grams of carbs per day for easy weight loss. Lots of meats, fat, and veggies is the best way to go. Some fruit is fine - but many people find that excessive fruit hinders weight loss. Dairy is a problem for lots of women as well.

Personally I suggest you start with the basics - meats, all veggies, eggs, seafood, butter, lard, tallow, olive oil. Fruit and nuts in moderation. Stick with that for a month and two and see how things go.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 old groks View Post
    My husband and I started today on the program. Since being diagnosed with Hashimotos in 2008. I have been struggling to keep the weight off...with little to no success, My Endo told me I can never eat another potato and I will never be thin again. Currently I am 185 lbs 5'4 and miserable. I am hoping that this diet will reset my Leptin as I have been a dieter since I was 12 (over weight as a child). I've tried all the diets...on Scarsdale my whold family lost weight .....I GAINED 8 LBS.
    Can anyone offer any advise as to how many carbs I can eat and what kind. I have read the Primal Blueprint 21 days and I am very excited. This is day one and I feel good. No cheating and not really hungry. Should I eat even if I'm not hungry?
    Thanks
    Please watch this video for your answer. IMO this is required:
    TEDxIowaCity - Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria - YouTube
    Especially notice how Dr. Wahls gets her required micronutrients including her Iodine required by the thyroid.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-02-2012 at 03:30 AM.

2 old groks is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for responding...sound like exactly what I am doing. My tsh was way up on my last bloodwork so my doctor uped my Armour Thyroid. I think it has helped because my energy has returned. I'm enjoying this eating plan so far....I'm over the sugar and the gluten....it makes me feel terrible. I have cut way down on Diary as well...I think I may have a grain allergy and since diary is generally from Cow's milk....well you do the math. I will have new bloodwork next week to check my tsh and keep groking.

CrunchyMama is offline Junior Member
    Hi there - just joined the forum, like 3 minutes ago, and here's one thing I was going to hunt for!

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about a year and a half ago. I stuck with the increasing Synthroid doses and didn't connect them with my migraines and other symptoms, including ever-increasing BP, until I got out of the routine of taking the stuff for a week while traveling for a few days and felt BETTER: no more migraines, no more BP spikes - my normal BP was around 105/70 and it had gone up to 140/90 at one point, requiring an overnight hospital visit while they sorted out a probably-related neurological "episode" to rule out an ITA/"mini-stroke."

Since going Paleo/Primal (and I'm not as Paleo as I could be, to be honest), I'm pretty much asymptomatic. According to my TSH numbers, I should have GAINED 15 pounds in the last year+, not LOST them; I should have thinning hair and brittle nails; I should be cold all the time (still on the chilly side but always have been) and anxious and depressed, and instead I'm OFF the antidepressants, OFF the beta blockers, OFF the Synthroid, and I do't feel my thyroid on my windpipe unless I slip up and have a beer and/or bread.

I found a blog by another Hashimoto's sufferer that gave me some pointers, including the "stay off gluten" tip. Also, I learned that iodine is not a good idea if you have Hashimoto's, so I'm kind of in limbo about iodine since my endocrinologist doesn't seem to know any of this stuff. *sigh* (But she's better than the last guy, who kept upping my dose instead of looking for a reason - he wasn't the one who had me tested for Hashimoto's in the first place.) Here's the blog link, BTW: My Hashimoto's Thyroiditis She doesn't post too often, but she writes about her experiences and has lots of info. The forum was where I got some of my information, but there hasn't been any activity on there in a couple of months; I think I may be the most recent post on there.... in October. But do read her blog posts and learn from her experiences as well. :-)

Avalon is offline Junior Member
    Sisters in arms! I have Hashi's as well, and am starting to truly go primal at the moment too. I will let you know how things go and/or if I discover anything new, but what I'm reading right now is telling me to up the veggie in take by about a factor of a thousand, steer WAY clear of grains and processed carbs, and check your iron levels regularly. I didn't realize that my iron was so low until I switched endo's when I was back in the states, so if you're still getting the tired in the afternoon/headaches regularly problems, you should check that out. It can be remedied with a supplement, but also by increasing your red meat and spinach intake.

Good luck to you, hopefully this works out for the best for both of us and everyone else going primal with Hashi's.
    If you want to reach the end of the trail, first you must find the beginning.
    If you want to be strong enough to walk the trail, trust your feet.
    If you want to go fast, go alone - if you want to go far, go together.

6'0" white female, age 24
    Pre-paleo: 247.8 lbs
    Current weight: 212.8
    Goal: 199.9 (and to rock a two piece bathing suit surfing in Costa Rica this November!)