Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Need to Live Off Of Super-Walmart Food for a Week! Help :) page

CaveMama is offline Member

I Need to Live Off Of Super-Walmart Food for a Week! Help :)

Shop Now
    I'm going to Cancun next week for 7 days. I'm going to have a little time-share apartment with a condo, a rental car, and I'll be driving distance from a Super-Walmart. I'm so used to living off of my local meats/eggs and veggies. What do I buy there? Should I still eat the eggs? I do NOT want to spend the whole week cooking, but I do want to maintain some semblance of healthy eating. Thanks

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    You can eat all the same foods your used to. I'd just grab a bottle of fish oil to balance out your 3's and 6's... and stick to leaner meats. Eggs won't taste as good but you're only eating them for a few days.

So you think one of the bags of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts would be a reasonable purchase? I get a little freaked out when I start thinking about factory farmed meats.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    You will have to dig around the meat section to see if you can find anything that is un-enhanced. At least in the states almost all their meats contain a 'salt solution' of sorts. Some of the frozen stuff is not bad, like the cornish hens, but sometimes the food selection is regional based so will have to see what Cancun offers. But really for 7 days it won't be a big deal. You might check out some of the canned/pouched fish or things like that.

You might be able to find a local market to pick up some veggies and maybe some eggs. I have heard Mercado 23 might be an option (not 28). Although I am not sure about safety or where your staying....but just a thought.

Last time I was on vacation we hit up a local small grocery store and bought a couple whole chickens, roasted them on the grill outside, and then used that for a lot of meals....cold while sitting on the beach, heated up for dinner, chicken salad with cucumber rounds and celery, etc. Another thing we did was buy extra when we found a good spot, like we usually found some outdoor joints that grilled up fresh fish or meats for a good price.

Ahhh, I could use a beach vacation......... Have fun!!

1949katie is offline Member
    Primal isn't a religion. Go enjoy your vacation, eat out a lot and enjoy the amazing fresh fish that's everywhere. Drink only Norcal Margaritas, stay away from flour tortillas and relax.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    One time I had to eat supermarket food for a week and I developed diabetes and also heart disease and a little cancer, too.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

I totally get what you're saying Katie, but in the past I've come home from vacations feeling pretty wrecked and I'm trying to strike a balance this time. I want to come home feeling healthy and refreshed. Not to say I won't enjoy a few pina coladas and a little Mexican food.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    One time I had to eat supermarket food for a week and I developed diabetes and also heart disease and a little cancer, too.
    i heart you just a little bit

the food won't be as good, but there are fresh and frozen veggies. i get the frozen chicken breasts because i'm super minimalist unless i'm in the mood to COOK. the cheap eggs suck ass. there are no ifs ands or buts about that, they are sulfery and gross. egglands best are slightly less gross, but still gross. if there are any 'great day' brand eggs, those will taste much better
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I'd hit up the tuna fish and canned salmon aisle; sardines, anchovies, etc.

Jar of olives, some raw or dry roasted nuts, fresh fruit + veggies, almond butter, Eggland Best eggs (I like 'em), canned coconut milk, and maybe a bag of frozen shrimp or something. Being so close to the water, I would try to find a local fish market and a farmer's market! They have to have something like that. Me... I'd just drink a pina colada and eat horrible stuff until I went home. I always lose weight on vacay; so much walking and exploring. It works out.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveMama View Post
    So you think one of the bags of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts would be a reasonable purchase? I get a little freaked out when I start thinking about factory farmed meats.
    Nearly the entire population of America lives well into their 70's and 80's eating factory farmed meats, especially chicken breast. It's not going to hurt you in the least bit. I happily buy all factory farmed meats with my only requirement being "minimally processed". The very minor health benefits of free range meats vs factory farmed meats don't even come close to justifying a 400% price increase to me. The day I pay $12.99/lb for a hunk of chuck roast is the day I give up Primal for an all-pasta diet because eating confinement-raised animals is far more ethical than paying that ridiculous markup. As mentioned before, make sure it says "minimally processed" as some pre-packaged meats are injected with solutions of salt water and sugar to "pump them up" and make them juicier. Many pre-packaged chicken breasts say "contains up to 15% saline and sugar solution". If you see that it's "minimally processed" you should be fine. Read, read, read. But minimally processed CAFO is just fine in nearly all cases.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-01-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast