Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 50-100g carb intake = weight loss sweet spot??? page

sasonnier is offline Junior Member

50-100g carb intake = weight loss sweet spot???

Shop Now
    Hey all, I've been eating primal for several months now, and have been keeping an eye on my carb/protein intake. I almost always get under 100g of carbs, and usually just above my needed amount of proteins (~135-140g), yet I have not lost weight- at all. I work out 2-3 times a week, and I can't commit to more. I am 5'2", weigh 135, and yes- I do measure myself and haven't lost any additional inches/weight since starting. I have recently lost 20lbs this past year, then stalled out and picked up primal- not a difficult transition as I was basically eating primal w/the exception of oatmeal a few times a week and a bit more fruit/nuts.

I eat 3 meals a day w/2 snacks- and I really am hungry by the time snack time rolls around- so I can't imagine cutting back on more food. My average day looks like:

Breakfast: 3 oz. protein (2 eggs and 1 oz meat or 3 oz other protein)
    2 cups veggies (measured raw)
    1 fat equiv.

Snack:
    2 cups veggies (measured raw)
    1/2 fat equiv, 2 oz protein

Lunch:
    4 cups veggies (measured raw)
    4oz protein
    1 fat equiv

Snack:
    same as snack above

Dinner:
    same as lunch- except 5 oz protein (not 4)

Fat equiv. used are mostly 1 T olive oil or coconut oil

My meals used to be larger, but I gained weight on that, so I cut it back to this.
    I have looked at all possible causes of a stalled weight loss- sleep, stress, water, exercise, little to no starchy veggies and fruit, no dairy, limited nuts. Nuts and fruits are eaten 2-3 times a week (if that).

I would really appreciate any ideas people could give me on ways to boost a weight loss. Just to note, I am not stuffed after meals and hungry for all of my snacks (and meals).

Thanks!
    Sophie

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Maybe instead of snacks you should push all that food into your regular meals. Maybe try increasing the amount of fat and reducing the amount of veggies. Then try to reduce the number of meals each day.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

would pushing my food all into one meal make a difference? I have thought about putting the proteins from the snacks into the meals and cutting out the snack veggies altogether. But, I need input from others who have "been there done that".
    Thanks for your suggestion- food for thought!
    -Sophie

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    If you are needing to eat that often then I would say your fats aren't high enough in your main meals. They should be keeping you satisfied for much longer.
    I only need to eat 2 meals a day now, and I find I am doing better with under 50g of carbs a day, and that is with lifting heavy 3 times a week, and riding my bike/walking everyday.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    +1 To eating more fat and not snacking. Eat healthy fat, protein and low starch veg until you are full enough that you don't want to eat until your next meal. I stay under 100 grams carb with lots of fat and starchy carbs like potatoes and have dramatically lost fat.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

So what is a good frame of reference for fats during the day? As of now, I am getting roughly 100 g of fat a day.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Roughly need to know your calories.
    Edit - I worked it out with your gram details and you are getting about 1860 calories. Too much for a 5ft 2in.
    I read somewhere that we short women are quite challenged with weight loss as need to go much lower in calories for our size and so we may end up too low calorie for too long. We need to be quite strict with calories for a stretch and then have a bit of a break upping our calories and continue again so we don't plateau.
    If you are hungry all the time perhaps chromium or some fibre supplement may help.
    Last edited by Sue; 01-01-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Jennifer, latest success story was having only 1500 calories and she is taller and heavier than you.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45304.html

Sue- how to consume so little calories and not be hungry?

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    higher fat

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast