Thread: Hi! Successful Low Carber Transitioning to Paleo page

mark2741 is offline Member

Hi! Successful Low Carber Transitioning to Paleo

So last January, after reading Taubes' Why We Get Fat, I went on a minimal carb diet (i.e., I ate as few carbs as I could per day, aside from those coming from non-starchy vegetables). I started at 258lb at 5'10" and wound up losing 62 pounds by October.

I blogged about my weight loss here - Low Carb Learning

As far as nutrition goes - although I have always thought I was doing 'Atkins', I've always steered clear of artificial sweeteners and was never comfortable eating processed pepperoni, etc...so now I'd also like to steer clear of processed foods. So I guess I'm now fully adopting the Paleo/Primal way.

For fitness, for most of this past year I was working out by doing a lot of walking on a treadmill at my gym. I know it doesn't sound very intense and it isn't, but I enjoy it because I get to listen to my headphones : ) I live in Pennsylvania so with the winter coming I'm going to keep my gym membership, even though I'd rather transition to just walking/hiking outdoors and doing sprints, etc., per the PB Fitness book.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to having a forum to discuss this lifestyle! Has anyone else here been successful doing a low-carb diet and then transitioned to a Primal/Paleo lifestyle?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Mark! Sounds like you are already on track. Your Coconut Broccoli Bacon Stir Fry Spinach Salad sounds great.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This isn't really all that low-carb, to be honest. Mark's "low carb" is under 150 grams / day, especially if you're active. That's a major switch you'll have to get used to. But it's all great, welcome, and all that!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/