Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (elainevdw) page

elainevdw is offline Senior Member

Cool Primal Journal (elainevdw)

Shop Now
    Ahhh starting a primal journal on January 1, how cliche. Anyway, Joan encouraged me to start a thread, so here I am.

I did pretty well on pseudo-primal last fall before a bunch of crap happened and I got distracted, and I'm more than ready to get back to it now that my routine won't get crapped on by everything for a while (or so I hope).

Today's off to a good start. My main goals right now are to avoid sugar and wheat/gluten for now and dial everything else in slowly over time while I get back into my primal groove. So I had coffee with half and half and eggs/broccoli cooked in bacon grease for breakfast. Plans for later involve using a Christmas gift card to go get steak, and snacking on sardines and avo.

No workouts planned today. I pretty much rely on my MMA place for fitness, and the schedule is limited until school break is over. So Monday will be open mat jiu jitsu, and there are two strength classes I'd like to go to this week, and I've also got tentative plans for some independent boxing rounds with my bf. I could go for a walk or something, but I've got work deadlines to clear up before I'm back to the office on Tuesday.

While I'm looking forward to dropping dress sizes, that's not nearly as important to me right now as resolving gut issues and regaining enough mental focus to increase my work performance. I'm a web developer, and 2011 was a really frustrating year for me in that I had a hard time concentrating on what I know how to do, let alone learning new things, which is imperative in this line of work (not to mention part of what is so enticing about it).

Happy 2012, world!
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

joan is offline Senior Member
    yay elaine! gods, you're such a badass. i'm glad you're going to journal. and hooray for bacon grease

I'm a badass?? I'm not the one building my own homestead!

And yes... bacon grease and/or butter make EVERYTHING taste better. I'll worry more about being picky with my fats later, for now I'm just going to avoid PUFAs and not fret about calories.

More good news: The bf thinks I have a wheat allergy or something, so he's on board with supporting me cutting out grains. He also agrees that I get grumpy on sugar, so he's on board with me there too, hahaha.

Last month I suggested he try primal with me (he works out really hard, I figured it would only improve the great results he's gotten already). Today he kept asking me things like, "Well what can I have for breakfast if I can't have cereal or bagels?" and "Shit, can you make gluten-free matzo balls?" and "What about peanuts, are peanuts primal?"

haha, your boyfriend sounds like a lot of fun i used to think the same thing... what can i have for breakfast if not carbs? i didn't eat eggs until a year and a half ago. they are delicious. how about breakfast meats, sir? fruit? diversify the nuts, too... especially nut butters, yum. almond butter and cashew butter are incredible. i love the matzo-balls question

The breakfast question is even funnier because he's never been a breakfast food eater. I can probably count on my hands the number of times we've gone to a "breakfast" place in the ~10 years we've dated, lol.

Day two went well. Coffee with half and half for breakfast, chicken broth with chicken, carrots, celery and half and half for lunch, salmon and broccoli with butter for dinner, macadamia nuts as a snack. I'm actually still pretty hungry, though... kinda wanted some milk tea or a protein shake earlier but I'm uber stressed about this project I'm bombing that was due, like, last year. (ha, ha) If you're wondering, why so much half and half? It's because that's what I have in the fridge at the moment. Might switch to heavy cream next week. Or try some of that coconut milk in the pantry. Who knows.

Speaking of milk, anybody got any tips on reviving some kefir grains that have sat around in old milk for waaaaay too long?

Workout today was open mat jiu jitsu. Rolled with some nice guys I hadn't met before from a nearby MMA school. I suck at jiu jitsu so much that it's kind of hilarious. Halfway through, we ended a round, and when I stood up, I got dizzy and had to sit down... It was weird, I never get light-headed like that. The rest of open mat went great, less frustrating than last time (when I got submitted by a 14-year-old three times in a row). I think I escaped tonight's workout unscathed save for some mat burn on one ankle.

My stomach has felt pretty awesome. I've never farted in someone's face during jiu jitsu, and I'm depending on PB to keep it that way. It's great being able to sit on the couch in the evening without indigestion noises interrupting what we're doing, too.

Mood isn't good, but I'm pretty sure that's a cross between PMS and work stress -- soon to be exacerbated by lack of sleep due to said work stress. Although it could have something to do with it suddenly being 2012 and what the hell am I doing with my life? Nah, gonna blame it on the PMS.

Ugghhh... got 4-5 hours of sleep last night. I went to SBUX on my way to work for coffee with heavy cream. It was fine, but when I got to the office I added some more heavy cream... and I don't think my stomach likes it. Ultra-pasteurized is the devil. Not to mention that after I poured it, I got suspicious because it seemed so thick, so I checked out the ingredients and it had a bunch of what I assume are artificial thickeners, YUCK.

I wish raw milk wasn't illegal in Nevada.

yeah, raw milk ftw. your description of jiu jitsu and digestive escapades is priceless. glad to hear your stomach is more calm eating primal. mine has been WAY more calm so far, too, which is a revelation for me. i had stomach aches and worse most of my life, and in the past two years it's been down to low level indigestion, discomfort getting to sleep, gas... i think this is the best it's ever been. hooray for happy tummies!

I never realized how bad my stomach felt until it didnt't feel that way anymore... It's so nice!

I did a pork loin roast tonight with potatoes, rutabaga and onion (veggies requested by bf, so I decided not to worry about the potatoes). OMG yuuuuuum!!! And hooray for having more meat in the house for a few days. Lunch was a cobb salad from down the street -- avo, hard boiled egg, turkey, bacon and veggies with caesar dressing. Snacks were green tea (the powdered kind) with cream and some macadamias.

There was a mixup at the MMA place so no workout tonight. Strength class tomorrow night, looking forward to it.

Mood today was great despite having little sleep. Focus was great, made some progress on a project at work that's been a real brain teaser. No cravings for sweets yet. I think I need to make sure I eat a big breakfast tomorrow though, I don't kow how many calories I've been eating but I feel the munchies coming on.

OH YEAH, and the place I grocery shop at had SO many awesome weird meats today!!! Ox tails, pig trotters... I picked up a frozen bag of beef bones. I've made plenty of chicken broth but never beef. Any suggestions? I want it to gel up like a good, primal bone broth!

nice job on the meals! pork loin roast is my favorite i asked my housemate about beef broth, since they've owned critters and processed all sorts of stuff on their own. she says:

put the bones on a pan and cook 'em at 400 in the oven until they're browned (if you don't, the broth will Reek and taste bad). after that, put them in the pot, cover with water, add a splash of apple cider vinegar and let it sit (no heat) for 30 minutes, to let the vinegar start to work at the bones. then bring it up to a boil, then lower to simmer for at least 3 hours, up to 24. if you want to be really hardcore, you can get all the marrow out of the bones afterward and put that in your broth, too.

good luck!

OMG thanks Joan! So they don't add any vegetables? When I do chicken broth, I always crock pot the chicken carcass with onions, celery, carrots, parsley, a pinch of salt, a dash of pepper, and a splash of apple cider vinegar for 6+ hours.

I guess I'll have to figure out how to get marrow out of the bones too... I've been very curious about marrow and marrow bones, and maybe a broth would be a good introduction.

Something I'd like to eventually do is learn how to cook enough parts of a cow to buy into a meat share or something without wasting any good "nasty bits."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast