Primal Fuel

Book suggestions from mothering.com

http://www.mothering.com/pregnancy-a...-media-reviews

amandamarie is offline Junior Member

Here are the books/movies I like:

Movies

The Business of Being Born

Orgasmic Birth

Happiest Baby on the Block (better than the book)

Baby Books

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

Secrets of the Baby Whisperer

The Nursing Mother's Companion

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child

Your Best Birth

Parenting Books

Free Range Kids

Screamfree Parenting

Parenting With Love and Logic

maba is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions Amandamarie! Our library does not have Orgasmic Birth , but will look for the other movie and books.

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

My wife has prepared for our birth (in one month) doing everything listed above. I mean everything. However I wanted to state that taking a Birth Works class was the catalyst for knowing about everything above. Check them in your area.

Regarding movies, if you see Pregnant in America, keep in mind that the director seems to push himself in the direction they head at the end. Other than that, the movie has tons of stats and is interesting. Biased and if you are a skeptic, you may not want to see this, but there are many truths in there if you can dig through all the hippies and punk rockers they seem to find to validate their "I hate hospital" perspective. Still looking for Orgasmic Birth and Happiest Baby movie. Reading the book now.

5 S's Dan; 5 S's...

kam904s is offline Member

Happiest Toddler on the Block is a pretty good read. I'm about halfway through it now and it's incredibly interesting in a very primal way - he discusses how the three years of toddlerhood mimic man's evolution from caveman to villager. Actually, it might be something Mark might find interesting to, now that I think about it.

Also, I cannot stress enough how AWESOME the FreeRangeKids blog is. Lenore is a classy, funny lady with a good, sensible head on her shoulders.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Carrying your baby close to your body is very primal, IMO. It's so much better than the "baby bucket". One of my favorite carriers was a mai tai type carrier. Baby can be carried in the front when very small or in the back, backpack style. I can still carry my 6 year old, at forty pounds! A sling is good, too, especially for small infants. Good for nursing in public and carrying sleeping babies, too.

I have an Ella Roo sling and an Ella Roo Mai Tai type carrier found at www.ellaroo.com . I also used a Maya Wrap sling for my first child until I was too pregnant to carry her in it. They're at www.mayawrap.com .

Babies in carriers get more/better adult interaction than babies/toddlers in strollers/car carriers. They also get a lot of benefit from the walking motion of the adult carrier. I've read it helps inner ear, and hence balance, development.

Top 25 articles on Mothering.com

http://mothering.com/reviews/top-25-articles

101 Reasons to Breastfeed

http://www.notmilk.com/101.html

Kay
    Kay is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just spent a couple of hours on the FreeRangeKids blog. I LOVE her attitude. I go crazy when I see people hovering over their kids and you can see the little one wants to run and explore. I do get the parents' worries but that must be so annoying to have someone following you around nonstop.

maba the articles on mothering are quite good, thanks for the links.

I still don't have major resources to contribute but I did read both "Our Babies, Ourselves" and "The Continuum Concept" as you guys recommended, very helpful and eye opening. I didn't agree with everything they had to say but I loved the general message of following your instinct and that babies are little social humans and to treat them as such.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast