Thread: A weird "hungry" feeling after eating certain non primal meals??? page

samapplegirl is offline Junior Member

A weird "hungry" feeling after eating certain non primal meals???

Shop Now
    Hi again

So since I was in my late teens, I've had this weird "hungry" feeling after I eat certain non primal meals. It usually starts very soon after finishing the meal and lasts about a half hour. The meals it usually happens with are speghetti with meat sauce (spaghetti sauce with ground beef), as well as stir fry (white rice, typical stir fry veggies, meat chunks. I never understood why I would get this "hungry" feeling. It doesn't happen when I have meat, veggies, and a side of noodles (sidekicks) or a side of potatoes.

Does anyone know what this "hungry" feeling is and what causes it? I don't plan on eating these types of meals now that hubby and I are making the full switch to primal living, but I am curious as to what was causing it.

Thanks in advance!

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    I used to have that feeling after eating pancakes, even if there were eggs involved. I finally quit eating them because I hated the feeling and it just wasn't worth it. That was my first inkling that a huge carb meal did not agree with my body.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Yah, it always told me that something was up with my sugars or insulin or something metabolic like that. I just found it really odd that it always happened with the same carbs, which were always paired with protein. I should have experimented with spaghetti without meat, lol... then I would have known if it was the protein and carbs or just the carbs. I tried to explain the feeling to a few people and no one knew what I was talking about. I strongly suspect I had insulin resistance (PCOS), so maybe they didn't feel it because they weren't resistant??? I dont know, lol.

Thanks for your reply!
    Last edited by samapplegirl; 01-01-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: typo

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Most likely due to an insulin response while being insulin resistant. Before primal I would eat a huge meal with half of the plate being white rice and almost immediately afterwards I'd crave something sweet, like a pint of ice cream. I'd also get this black hole in my stomach anytime I had a bowl of Special K for breakfast. Check this link out.

Why You Got Fat - YouTube

Thanks for the link, I watched "Fat Head" the other day (where the youtube clip is from), which really helped my husband and I understand the role of insulin and what excess carbs do. We also recently watched "Sugar, the bitter truth", which was also really eye opening.

I guess what I'm not understanding is why it was stir fry or spaghetti, when I used to always eat a side of carb with dinner (which was almost always meat, veggie, statch).... I guess looking at it now, it's because with spaghetti or stir fry, the portion of carbs is about 50%, where as usual dinner carb load was about 30%.... But what I still don't get is why I could eat, say pancakes, without this hungry feeling... it was only ever stir fry or spaghetti, lol.

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    JI actually talked to a couple of dietitians about this because I couldn't understand why it would happen even with a couple of eggs on the side...no obvious explanation. I just know to avoid that meal now, which used to suck because I loved pancakes but now I'm reconciled to avoiding carbs in order to stay healthy.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Wow, I'm a bit surprised even a dietician couldn't explain it. Thanks for your continued input, I appreciate it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    What did you put on the stir fry? Was there MSG in it? In the spaghetti sauce? Apparently it is in everything created by industry and sometimes is called "hydrolized vegetable protein".

I have felt hungry after eating egg breakfasts in restaurants, the kind where you get a side of home fries and some toast and fruit. It's a weird hunger. That is why I've always thought I just can't eat a high-protein breakfast of eggs and have always eaten a sweet breakfast of muffins or bagels instead. Turned out if I do the eggs and meat without any of the carby stuff AT ALL, I am free from hunger all day long.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

With the stir fry, I would use frozen veggies and I would often put teriaki sauce on top (from a jar, sold near the bbq sauces at the grocery store). So full of sugar, unsure if there was msg... I'd hope not, lol.

I also am not sure if there was msg in the spaghetti sauce, I again would hope not, but it was store bought... I usually bought "healthy choice", which had a bunch of veggie chunks in it.

It is a weird hungry feeling... not exactly like hungry, but very close. It also is a bit of an empty feeling, I feel it sorta in my esophogus... it's so weird.

I too can be full from much of the day with a large enough, protein only egg breakfast. I love that cause I'm not one for eating tons of times a day, so to know that it's ok now to not eat the 5-6 small meals CW suggest for weight loss, but to eat when hungry is a great thing for me... though I will make sure to not wait till I'm starving, because then I tend to crave stuff I shouldn't be eating.