Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble staying primal page

cheffy is offline Member

Having trouble staying primal

Ive been following the primal blueprint lifestyle for about 3 months now....mostly. I do really good for a week or two, the I have a SAD breakdown. Anybody else experience this when first going primal? Any tips? I really wanna go fully primal, just need a little help! Thanks

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Happy new year!

First of all, are you aiming for 100%? You can try the 80/20 principle, I think you can even schedule some indulgences, like chocolate, nuts, something sugary etc. - that would help reassure you that you are not giving up everything that's good in life, but still can afford to have some of the things you like And I can assure you from experience that you will crave these indulgences less and less and your taste buds will change - "normal" milk chocolate will start tasting too sweet, a little sugar in you coffee will taste like a lot etc. Don't go cold turkey, do a more gradual transition and give yourself time to adapt.

Sky
    Sky is offline Junior Member
    Happy & Better 2012 to ALL !!!

I started Primal for awhile only.
    I am NOT fully PRIMAL now. But ... I feel happier n more relaxed as compared to Standard PLAIN, TASTELESS DIET.
    2 weeks ago, I took a vacation in vietnam. During the trip, if I were to stay primal throughout, I will miss ALL of the local delicacies, which made NO SENSE as trying local food is part of a good vacation. I had a little of everything for that period, ice cream included. Enjoyed myself and when i m back home, I noticed my weight dropped slightly too.
    Now I am switching back to Primal again. Experiencing a little tired n heaty now, not sure if that's what called 'CARB FLU'.
    I choose 1 day of the week, sat for me, to take some non primal stuff such as rice, ice cream(monthly/fortnightly), fried food, etc..but all in small quantity.
    This way, I find it easier n not so rigid form of life. We got a lifetime to stay primal, why beat ourselves up when we break away slightly during festive seasons. Just remember to turn back...

Personally I feel a FULL PRIMAL lifestyle is good, but if it derived us of some modern indulgence, psychologically we will feel sick too.
    In that way, we won't be happy n healthy. I always consider BALANCE as the key.
    My novice thinking. Please correct/enlighten me if I m wrong.
    Last edited by Sky; 01-01-2012 at 02:39 AM.
    Any Other Primal Beings From Singapore?

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
    Ive been following the primal blueprint lifestyle for about 3 months now....mostly. I do really good for a week or two, the I have a SAD breakdown. Anybody else experience this when first going primal? Any tips? I really wanna go fully primal, just need a little help! Thanks
    Some people find that taking it in steps is the way to go-dropping grains one week, soda the next, and so on... Others find that having any non-primal fare leads to more of the same, and find it easier to jump right in with both feet. If you have a non-primal meal, just make sure the next one is primal and don't use it as an excuse to eat crap the rest of the day.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Unlimited fruit, potatoes and rice.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

activia is offline Senior Member
    This is my advice.. If you reprogram your mind then you will not feel those psychological pains anymore.

Honestly I find cheat days to be rather inhibitant. I did that at first and the only thing I thought about was that cheat day..in which I would gorge myself silly on lots and lots of crap. My cravings did not change, the way my body reacted to food did not change, I was miserable all week because I wasnt satisified with what I was eating. It wasnt until I cut the cheat day that everything changed.

Instead of thinking about what you can't have, think about what you can have. Focus on learning new recipes!!! Try to stay away from "substitutes" I find them to be a bit counterproductive because it reminds you of the old food but it doesnt taste as good. When I used to think about pasta/break/cake/poptarts etc. I would say no no..tonight I"m having a very delicous meal of beef short ribs!! Think ohh I'm going to try this recipe tonight..devote your energy and your mind into NEW foods NEW recipes find things that you love that are primal.. Instead of thinking about what you can't have. Keep reading about it as well..read a success story every day.

So you need to SWITCH your mind from the old to the new. Once you are 95% for a month or so then your body starts changing. Your tastes start to change. Things that you previously liked now make you feel ill or dont taste good at all. You need to then associate those foods with that bad feeling. So at this point I say yes indulge in one or two treats a week on an empty stomach and note how you FEEL. Think about how crappy this is making you FEEL. THen next time you see or look at that food associate the bad feeling with that food. It then becomes not so appetizing anymore.

Think of the studies about the dogs that salivate when they hear a bell because they always got fed a good meal. This is the kind of reprogramming I'm talking about. You CAN do it..

cheffy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol y Sombra View Post
    Happy new year!

First of all, are you aiming for 100%? You can try the 80/20 principle, I think you can even schedule some indulgences, like chocolate, nuts, something sugary etc. - that would help reassure you that you are not giving up everything that's good in life, but still can afford to have some of the things you like And I can assure you from experience that you will crave these indulgences less and less and your taste buds will change - "normal" milk chocolate will start tasting too sweet, a little sugar in you coffee will taste like a lot etc. Don't go cold turkey, do a more gradual transition and give yourself time to adapt.
    Basically, my 80/20 comes in with things like splenda, cheese, not always having grass fed meat, things like that. When I first started I was sooo excited because I could have so many things that a "normal diet" wouldn't allow. Then I had my first breakdown. I have noticed it's starting to get easier, as long as I keep myself fed with good stuff I've also noticed the sensitivity to sweets! I used to HATE dark chocolate, now I'm beginning to appreciate it a whole lot more! Thanks for the advice

cheffy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    This is my advice.. If you reprogram your mind then you will not feel those psychological pains anymore.

Honestly I find cheat days to be rather inhibitant. I did that at first and the only thing I thought about was that cheat day..in which I would gorge myself silly on lots and lots of crap. My cravings did not change, the way my body reacted to food did not change, I was miserable all week because I wasnt satisified with what I was eating. It wasnt until I cut the cheat day that everything changed.

Instead of thinking about what you can't have, think about what you can have. Focus on learning new recipes!!! Try to stay away from "substitutes" I find them to be a bit counterproductive because it reminds you of the old food but it doesnt taste as good. When I used to think about pasta/break/cake/poptarts etc. I would say no no..tonight I"m having a very delicous meal of beef short ribs!! Think ohh I'm going to try this recipe tonight..devote your energy and your mind into NEW foods NEW recipes find things that you love that are primal.. Instead of thinking about what you can't have. Keep reading about it as well..read a success story every day.

So you need to SWITCH your mind from the old to the new. Once you are 95% for a month or so then your body starts changing. Your tastes start to change. Things that you previously liked now make you feel ill or dont taste good at all. You need to then associate those foods with that bad feeling. So at this point I say yes indulge in one or two treats a week on an empty stomach and note how you FEEL. Think about how crappy this is making you FEEL. THen next time you see or look at that food associate the bad feeling with that food. It then becomes not so appetizing anymore.

Think of the studies about the dogs that salivate when they hear a bell because they always got fed a good meal. This is the kind of reprogramming I'm talking about. You CAN do it..
    You're totally right, it's all in my head. I'm learning a bit about leptin, and I think that might have a bit to do with it as well. Time for a CLEAN carb refeed! Thanks for the advice!

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
    The thing that has surprised me is that I haven't done this. I went cold turkey four months ago, and the cravings and constant hunger went away within about 36 hours. Except for a slice of Thanksgiving cheesecake here and a piece of wheat-free Christmas fudge there, I've stayed away from the SAD stuff. Just lost my taste for it. This has to be the longest I've gone without eating a potato chip since I grew teeth!

Sorry to hear that's not the case with you. What is it that makes you want those foods? Is it a comfort food sort of thing? Do you crave specific foods, or is it just whatever's around? It can be tough to watch other people eat stuff you used to eat. Although it helps when you stop looking and feeling the way you used to look and feel...

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    im a firm believer in 100% for the first few months .. it curbs cravings, gets your body burning fat instead of the other crap .. and gets YOU mentally into it ... the results, mental clarity, etc really make it so you dont want to go back ..

you can do it .. believe in yourself and watch how your body and mind changes if you are strict
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast