Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Puzzled by Girlfriend Hitting the Wall... page

scottlee is offline Junior Member

Puzzled by Girlfriend Hitting the Wall...

Primal Fuel
    Assuming that she is not running off and sneaking in gummy bears and french fries, I've become a little perplexed at the state my girlfriend currently finds herself in. She went primal about a year ago and hit a peak quickly after losing about 15 pounds. I have speculated that she has experienced some metabolic damage from a lifetime of bad eating (she was 19 years old when she first began eating primal).

I figured I would come on here and ask for suggestions. Here are some things she has already tried without much success.
    -Intermittent Fasting (IF)
    -Full on extended ketosis
    -Regular caloric restriction while still eating primal...

Her body is simply refusing to let go of the fat. This leaves me a little frustrated, as the diet has worked outstandingly well for me (5 ft 10 inches, 142 pounds myself).

Any ideas?

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    What about carb cycling? Worth a google.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    What macro percentages does she eat, how many calories, what exercise? What is her normal daily menu?

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    For me personally, I have to shoot for 100% and forgive my self if I have a little mess up. If I do the 80/ 20 rule I seem to plateau out.

Also I lost my water weight first and then nothing till I cut out all dairy and most of the nuts. It came off pretty fast after that though.

Good luck to her. I know how frustrating it can be.

dado Guest
    maybe she is at her ideal weight?

what is this obsession with losing numbers. is she healthy? is she fit? is she happy?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Yep - we need more info. Her height, weight, health, goals.

Also diet for a day or two would helpful. Does she eat dairy? Nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Yep - we need more info. Her height, weight, health, goals.

Also diet for a day or two would helpful. Does she eat dairy? Nuts?
    Height: 5 ft, 6 inches
    Weight: 165 lbs
    Some health notes... hydronephrosis (one kidney has impaired functioning), previously had to gain weight according to medical instruction for kidney surgery and then never lost it again.
    Goals: To get to ideal weight, around 12% body fat (though I'd need to measure via my calipers to determine her current percentage). She certainly does not have a bezerk, crazy muscle mass to account for that weight.

Since altering the diet, everyone has noticed how much better she looks overall, of course, improved skin condition, less inflammation visible in the face, more energy, but she's just still hanging onto that body fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    What macro percentages does she eat, how many calories, what exercise? What is her normal daily menu?
    Admittedly, she does limited exercise but she's recently started trying to get more HIIT sessions in, maybe a couple per week but she hasn't started that for longer than its first week so far. Too early to tell if that makes a significant impact.

She is also under a considerable amount of stress and has been for months, cortisol levels, I've acknowledged, may have something to do with it. She's working a lot of overtime (we both keep pretty busy to pay the bills).

It's been a while since she's done an exact nutrition log but her percentages are almost exactly like mine: probably 70g of carbohydrate or less per day, mostly fat, plenty of protein. She eats a lot of salads and minimizes the use of fruit in the salads (along with any sweet vinaigrettes)...

Calories during many days are unknown exactly but many days in a number of consecutive periods she's eaten only one meal and claimed not to feel hungry beyond that.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Weight loss is both caloric and hormonal. In addition to proper attention to overall food intake, boosting the following hormones makes fat loss a lot easier:

1.) Testosterone
    2.) Human growth hormone
    3.) Insulin-like growth factor-1
    4.) Leptin

The following hormones make weight loss more difficult:

1.) Cortisol
    2.) Estrogen
    3.) Insulin

Notice something in common? Men make more of the hormones that make fat loss easier, and comparatively less of the hormones that make fat loss more difficult. It's harder for a woman to lose fat than a man, so to compare her progress to yours is unfair. Women also need four to five times more body fat than a man just to survive. Essential body fat for a man is around 3-4%. If a woman drops below the 15% body fat treshold, they'll likely lose their period and suffer metabolic damage. If they drop under 12%, they're on the brink of death. 12% body fat for a man means still a chunky belly. Ask me how I know.

Keeping calories low all the time is absolutely detrimental to a woman. The female metabolism is a fragile thing. If she dropped calories, the 15 lbs tapered off quickly because eventually, her body adapted to the lower calories. If originally she could maintain her weight at 1,800 calories a day and started eating 1,500 calories a day, then it's only a matter of time until her new maintenance calories become 1,500 calories a day. You need to cycle calories AND carbohydrates to avoid this. I recommend the following:

1.) For two weeks, have her not restrict calories. That doesn't mean gorge. That means eat a bit more food, but still eat Primal foods. Boosting her calories for two weeks will boost her metabolism. I also recommend eating around 100g of carbs per day during this time.

2.) After she "resets" her metabolism, begin cycling calories and carbohydrates. Since her activity is low, she can't go extreme with carbohydrate. I'm going to assume her maintenance is 1,800 calories being a female. So let's shoot for 1,400 calories for restriction. So a good plan would be the following:

Monday through Friday, eat 1,400 calories with high protein, moderate fat, low carbohydrate. That would be about 80g fat, 120g protein, 50g carbs.
    Saturday and Sunday, eat 1,800 calories with high protein, low fat, moderate carbohydrate. That would be 40g fat, 120g protein, 240g carbs.

That may seem like a lot of carbs. It's not. Consider that the average American eats 300-400g of carbs every day, and most of those carbs are coming from sugar and grains. 240g of carbs from sweet potatoes, bananas, squash, apples and berries won't hurt her. Those two higher carb and higher calorie days will rev up her metabolism, but it won't be chronic enough to lead to lots of fat gain. Then, when she snaps back into the low calorie, low carbohydrate days, her body won't hold onto fat for fear of starving.

That's the plan I'd follow if I were her. You don't have to be a calorie Nazi, either. Just have her track for two weeks or so to get a feel of what those levels of calories and carbohydrates look like. After that, you can ballpark it. FWIW, I recommend the high carb days be low fiber. Sweet potatoes, white rice and bananas are excellent choices so you get almost all your carbs from glucose and not sucrose or fructose. If she decides to lift heavy things or sprint/HIIT, these are the days she wants to do it! Save the low-level cardio for the low carb days.

NOTE: She WILL gain "weight" during a carb-up. It's not fat gain. It's water weight. When you eat carbs, you store glycogen plus 3-4g of water per gram of glycogen stored. So, if she stores 400g of glycogen over those two days, she will store 400g of glycogen plus 1600-2000g of water for a grand total of 2000-2400g of total weight, or 4-6 lbs. She will drop all that water weight by Wednesday, and probably some fat, too. Don't watch the scale. I typically gain 10 lbs during my carb-ups.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-31-2011 at 11:29 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by scottlee View Post
    Goals: To get to ideal weight, around 12% body fat (though I'd need to measure via my calipers to determine her current percentage). She certainly does not have a bezerk, crazy muscle mass to account for that weight
    If she gets to 12% body fat, she could very will die and will almost certainly be infertile and very ill. Victoria's secret models are around 18% body fat. A healthy body fat level for a woman is 20-24%. If she wants to be a bikini model, she can shoot for 17-19%.

Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast