Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate mousse recipe, straight from France page

TahoeSkiGuy Guest

Primal Fuel

When I was a kid oh so long ago, my dad went on sabbatical in France when I was in 4th grade. I picked up a recipe for chocolate mousse that's pretty close to being primal...

INGREDIENTS:

2 oz butter

5 oz dark chocolate

3 eggs

PROCEDURE:

1. Start melting butter and chocolate together. I suggest using a double-boiler, but anything that'll make sure they don't burn should be fine.

2. Separate eggs. Mix yolks in one small bowl; in a separate (larger!) bowl, whip the whites until they're quite firm.

3. Mix the hot melted butter & chocolate together and remove from heat. Then slowly pour the yolks into the butter/chocolate, stirring all the while, so you have a homogeneous mixture. The yolks cook a bit in this step.

4. Gently fold the butter/chocolate/yolks into the whites.

5. Refrigerate (covered if possible). For a single batch, 3 hours is probably sufficient to get it to set properly.

This recipe makes a very rich mousse; a fairly small serving suffices to satisfy!

I just made this the other night for the first time since going primal, and it was excellent, even though I screwed up and only put in half the butter. Great success! FWIW, I used 78% cocoa dark chocolate from Santa Barbara Chocolate Co., and it was plenty sweet; my non-primal guests loved it, or at least made convincing noises to that effect.

This recipe might also be good if made with coconut oil instead of butter; if you try making it that way, please let me (and the world) know how it comes out.

stufold Guest

No way tahoe ski guy! This looks too good to be true. Are you sure those are all the ingredients?? I'm gonna try this tonite and hope for great success! Ching Qui

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds delicious. I bet it would hit the spot when I'm craving flourless choc cake, but with a lot less work. I'll try it with ghee later this week.

Do you leave the choc/butter mixture over the boiling water when you add the yolks, or do you take it off first?

hannahc is offline Senior Member

I was wondering if the egg yolks needed to be tempered first?? Usually custards require that you add a bit of the hot liquid (in this case chocolate/butter mixture) to the egg yolks to warm them up, THEN slowly incorporating the egg yolks while constantly stirring.

Oh and I'm just assuming you meant 3 egg yolks instead of whole eggs, is that correct? Or do you need the whole eggs to make it a mousse rather than a custard?

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

soror is offline Senior Member

Oh, looks supper yummy!

Mama to 4, wife to my love

TahoeSkiGuy Guest

Jagshemash, everyone!

stufold, those are indeed all the ingredients.

Pikaia, when I incorporate the yolks, I've removed the butter/chocolate mixture from any heat sources.

hannahc, the tempering sounds interesting, but I've never done it that way. And you do use the entirety of the eggs for this recipe—you fold the butter/chocolate/yolks mixture into the [whipped] whites. If you were to throw out the whites and skip step #4, you would end up with something super-firm, I reckon. It might conceivably be good, but it would be nothing at all custardy.

(I just made some minor edits in the recipe post to clarify some of the above points.)

maba is offline Senior Member

I'm so trying this but I have only 72% at home that I got when we had company and I find it too sweet. I'll probably add some unsweetened chocolate to the mix.

beachbodysue Guest

TSG - you da man!!

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Aha now it sounds like mousse! And it sounds delicious too Thanks for the clarification, it makes perfect sense to me now.

And you posted this just in time for Valentine&#39;s day too <3

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

WHYYYYY cant I eat yolks wahhhh. Okay done behaving like a child. For now.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast