Thread: Pain in the butt page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Pain in the butt

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone else suffer from acute butt pain? I get it on both sides of my buttocks... and also have extreemly tight leg muscles, right the way down to my ankles.

I used to think it was sciatica, but now think it's caused by tight periformis (as pain seems to alleviate with periformis stretching.)

I'm reading about acute SI join dysfunction as a possible overall cause, and recently come across the Kalindra method.

I have been told that I have one leg longer than the other, not sure if that is a cause of my leg pain, or a symptom of tight muscles.

Has anyone found a diet/stretching/exercise protocol that has alleviated the pain? I am fairly new to Paleo, have gotten barefoot shoes, and am stretching and using a foam roller everyday to see if this helps, as well as walking, and beginning to do some strength exercises (squats, lunges, etc) but the pain keeps flaring up.

Also, what is the best position to sit / sleep in, if you have tight periformis / ITBand issues? As I don't want to exacerbate the issue.

Thanks.

cantubury is offline Junior Member

Piriformus

i had the same pains, tightness and l5,s1 problems. i bought a thing called the wedgey and it basically pushed up my coccyx and i began leg exercises for gluts and stretching backward on a large ball. it took a few weeks but worked. you can look up this device its just a piece of rubber that helps with posture. breathing and meditation works. good luck. usually 8 weeks.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    There are a few good roller and tennis balls release techniques if you google them. It should ease up.
    How much are you walking each day?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I have/had acute SI joint dysfunction. I had 4 weeks of PT in October/November. They taught me stretches/exercises that helped. They also manipulated my joint and showed me ways to do it at home. This alleviated the pain short term.

What really helped was foam roller exercises for the periformis, hamstrings, upper back/spine and abs.I found good videos on YouTube by typing in SI joint, performis, foam roller exercises...

I also purchased a lumbar support pillow to use while sitting on my couch. The couch is old and seems to have lost support.

Since implementing all those things I have been pain free. If I get a twinge I know it's time to hit the foam roller and double up on the stretching.

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    I have the same pain, I've been using the foam roller at night as well as some stretching movements that my chiro recommended. I've also started using MSM and that has helped a lot.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Not walking too much, Dirlot, just a very nice walking track about 3xs per week. I think one loop is about 5 km, and i take it very gently.

The foam roller / tennis ball thing is EVIL! THE PAIN!!! Argh! Still worth it, if it helps. I try to think peaceful thoughts to take my mind off it, reminding myself that in the long run it will all be good. The dang thing is, though, for me at least, it never seems to get any easier!!!

How does MMS help Orannhawk?

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    Not walking too much, Dirlot, just a very nice walking track about 3xs per week. I think one loop is about 5 km, and i take it very gently.

The foam roller / tennis ball thing is EVIL! THE PAIN!!! Argh! Still worth it, if it helps. I try to think peaceful thoughts to take my mind off it, reminding myself that in the long run it will all be good. The dang thing is, though, for me at least, it never seems to get any easier!!!

How does MMS help Orannhawk?
    MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane ) has been shown to work as an anti-inflammatory supplement. From what I have understood it works for some and others say they don't feel a difference at all. I have felt a difference though.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I was told by my primary care physician at the age of 12 that one leg was longer than the other by at least 1cm. Years later I went to a chiropractor and it turns out my hips are just perpetually crooked. Proper exercises might help you get aligned, but I always think it's worth getting checked out by a good chiro.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

somedaypaleo is offline Member
    Check out mobilitywod.com, they've got plenty of pain to fix you.