Thread: What if I'm just not hungry? page

adameads is offline Senior Member

What if I'm just not hungry?

Primal Fuel
    Maybe I'm just getting lucky and my transition from glucose to body fat as a fuel source happened in my first three days of being primal, but I just haven't been all that hungry the last three days. I haven't really had more than 1400-1600 calories any of the days.

I did fall off the wagon last night at an mma viewing party (bowl of chili with beans, some tortilla chips with cheese/chicken dip), just for full disclosure. But, even today, I don't feel bad from it and am not all that hungry.

Today's fare : 3 egg veggie omelet, small handful of berries, chipotle bowl with only double chicken, veggies, lime juice, and some hot sauce, 20 pecan halves for snack, and a coconut milk/Thai curry/chicken/carrot/cabbage stew for dinner.

dianejaquay is offline Member
    I'm not an expert, but I'd say if you're not hungry then don't eat. I don't "officially" do IF, but one thing I've gotten from reading all the info on it is that I don't need to be afraid to not listen to CW that tells you you MUST eat 3 meals a day. I often skip meals now if I don't feel any hunger. I've lost 25 pounds since Sept. 1 and haven't ever felt like I was "missing out" food wise. Who knew you could eat such great food, not be hungry, and lose weight!

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    When i first started primal my appetite disappeared. I'd IF two meals a day without even thinking about it. I wore off over a couple of months though. When I IF now I notice that I'm missing food.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    If your hunger signals aren't screwed up(I think that's why some people leptin reset, I don't have this problem) then just eat primal foods whenever you're hungry at the start. That's what I did and I eventually transitioned to where I eat two big meals a day(most days). Everyone is different though.

And don't worry about falling off the wagon, no such thing when it comes to being primal in my opinion. I went to a chinese buffet tonight with my family and ended up eating 4 plates of food with no guilt. Those baby clams were so damn delicious I think I ended up downing 60 of those. Tomorrow will be business as usual, hell I may not eat again until Monday.

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Looks like you're doing low carb Paleo. That will kill appetite in people who were previously carb hounds. When I was VLCing, I couldn't eat more than 1800 calories. You almost don't gain any appetite until you start consuming more carbs. I started eating yams and sweet potatoes and I did gain some weight. However, when I reduced the food reward / choice by removing food variety, I'm back to where I was. Now I mostly eat 1 meal with meats (usually beef). The rest are yams and green tea and some bone broth. Doesn't seem very fun but no craving at all for any other kind of food. I also don't cheat, even at an MMA party.
    Last edited by choppedliver; 12-31-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
    Looks like you're doing low carb Paleo. That will kill appetite in people who were previously carb hounds. When I was VLCing, I couldn't eat more than 1800 calories. You almost don't gain any appetite until you start consuming more carbs. I started eating yams and sweet potatoes and I did gain some weight. However, when I reduced the food reward / choice by removing food variety, I'm back to where I was. Now I mostly eat 1 meal with meats (usually beef). The rest are yams and green tea and some bone broth. Doesn't seem very fun but no craving at all for any other kind of food. I also don't cheat, even at an MMA party.
    Did you say "low carb paleo" because it looks like a deviation from "primal" or just that I hadn't consumed much carbs in general? I haven't yet researched Wolf's site and how it differs from Rob's stuff.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    for a LONG time i had 1000-1500 calories a day .. it was fine, i had reserves to feed off of ..

more importantly .. give this a FAIR chance .. go 100% and no fruit or nuts when you start .. those are more after goal weight things for most of us .. hell i still avoid them .. let your body learn to just enjoy veggies and meat .. its amazing to watch and feel the changes .. plus u will lose weight faster

as far as "LCP" most people do that to start and then get up to 100-150g of carbs a day at goal weight to maintain ...
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

I thought nuts were encouraged in all primal diets?

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Depends which primal diet. If you have autoimmne issues, it's discouraged. If you're metabolically deranged or morbidly obese, it's better to stay off them, as well as fruits, honey, etc. For those who're healthy and have attained leanness, it shouldn't be an issue. Also, consider that nuts may have been a seasonal item, like fruits, and that they account for considerable PUFA in your diet if you're trying to limit PUFA under 4%.

Quote Originally Posted by adameads View Post
    I thought nuts were encouraged in all primal diets?