Thread: Sprinting Regimen, Starting Out Slow page

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Saw Mark's blog post today about running. I hate running--kills my knees, but I am intrigued about sprinting.

What is a good sprinting regimen for a beginner? I am 5'9" 140 pounds. 34 yo male. I don't want to overdo it and get discouraged--and/or hurt.

What do you suggest to start out with? Assume I am starting at couch potato level.

Thanks!

mstrudle is offline Member

If you really are a couch potato, I would build an aerobic base first. Do a lot of low-level walking and hiking, which will build up your leg muscles and aerobic capacity. Then, start doing some light sprints at your local track, maybe 30-40 yards, and then work up to 100 yards.

My routine I try to do once or twice a week is 8 100 yard sprints, jogging the turnarounds.

musajen is offline Junior Member

You can also start sprinting immediately by alternating a light jog with a walk. As you build your aerobic capacity you can start running faster and replacing the walk with a light jog.

This is the genius of sprints. You can start at any fitness level and adjust as necessary. There's no rule stating YOU MUST SPRINT when doing sprints. It's simply a short burst of hard work alternated with a quick breather.

Maybe using Vibrams or going barefoot will help protect your knees too?

Good luck! Oh, I hate running too but I find sprints to be bearable...when I do them.

Geoff is offline Member

Like mstrudel, I'd recommend establishing a sound aerobic base first. After that, though, I'd suggest that you add increasing intense bouts of play - a sport that involves intermittent bursts of higher intensity with some recovery periods. Mark has Ultimate. For you it could be an organized game like basketball or soccer, going to a racketball court and rallying the ball around hard, or even an impromptu pick up game like "tag." Just keep the competitiveness low and focus on having fun and getting some higher intensity exercise. After some time with more intense "play" you'll find stepping up to sprints easier.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Find a nice hill... sprint to the top (hopefully less than 30 seconds), walk back down, sprint to the top, walk back down, etc... repeat 10 times.

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I do have a hill, so I could try and do this. Of course, once my one-year old starts going strong on all twos, I'm sure I will get some additional sprinting in.

I really should find an adult ultimate frisbee or soccer league. Love playing both of those.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

careful with that hill routine, it is TOUGH after 6 I literally almost puked, take more of a break than just walking down then sprinting right back up... I would say rest until you feel your heart slowing down. Hills will work your body nicely though.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.