Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gastric bypass!!!!!!!!! page

theprimalgirl Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but...

Just seen a bit of supersize teens on tv and I couldn't believe it...

...a girl eating blended kfc after a gastric bypass while the rest of the family sits round eating kfc, massive sodas, large people themselves. What's the point!!! Crazy!!!

Re-education needed. No gastric bypasses needed.

Rant over.

tooperky Guest

Blended KFC? Really? That makes me sad.

Rose is offline Member

That's revolting. Education is needed alright. My workmate brought her son to work with her as he had a flu. His lunch was total junk food. Pies and sprite etc. No wonder her family are always sick. I'm the only one at work that has not been ill yet this winter...and they scoff at my meaty lunches!

grandma is offline Member

I posted recently about a doctor who recommends gastric bypass (or the band or something) to teens because it is "too hard to get them to eat right". It's sad.

Mark, how about a primal summer camp for overweight teens!

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal summer camp sounds awesome. I want to go, if adults are allowed! Hahaha.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

theprimalgirl Guest

I know man it wasn't long after either she was eating that. To me it's harder to hate food and only eat one spoon before its uncomfortable than it is to change up the food, go for a walk and do 10 squats and pressups a day. But it's so engrained, the parents don't know what to eat either.

grandma - primal summer camp sounds great and also retreats for adults to meet like minded cavepeople.

Also I think a campaign to get Mark into schools and also talking to parents. Camp for fat kids and their fat parents.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

@theprimalgirl - I think CW will see primal / paleo as too extreme and scary to allow school talks yet (I saw a post from someone who took their teenage-ish child to Dr for I think weight or diabetes issues, whilst the poster was trying out the primal diet, the Dr was immediately telling the child that it's going to give them a heart attack...)

But cavepeople retreats sound ace!

Anonymous Guest

yeah, the girl will just end up losing weight and then gaining it back eventually, since there's no behavior modification.

i read an article a month or two ago written by a woman who's a huge advocate of this type of surgery. the article was about how low carb diets are 'bad' because they 'lead to a loss of memory' and some other things - things that happen during the first few weeks of a low carb diet, but go away.

lfisher Guest

So I've read a bunch on gastric bypass recently and one thing has intrigued me about it. As a type 1 diabetic, I read a bunch on diabetes and it seems according to a bunch of research, they claim that gastric bypass "cures" type 2 diabetes. From everything I read, it does seem that it isn't due to a chance in eating habits, but something in the change of body function. Maybe it works because people are no unable to eat as much, and it's probably not worth the surgery because of all the other consequences, but I would be interested in understanding if there truly is a way to fix the diabetes issue once too much damage has been done for diet alone to solve it.

I am not defending it, but I would like to see this be part of the discussion as well.

Nick Guest

Tom Noughton had a good post about bariatric surgery the other day:

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2009/06/16/bariatric-surgery-bad-to-the-bone/

There's a difference between lap band and gastric bypass -- lap band just shrinks the size of the stomach, but gastric bypass can remove the duodenum and part of the small intestine, which is responsible for sensing nutrients and sending out signals related to appetite (and for being the place where fat and fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed..so, guess you didn't need that, huh?). And the change in those appetite related hormones is what gives most of the advantage of gastric bypass.

So it's pretty obvious to anyone with common sense that we should probably find some way to achieve that hormonal/signaling modification without chopping up people's guts.

Pate d'KFC aside, I've heard the most popular post-surgery diet is just sipping milkshakes through a straw a little bit at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast