Thread: Wanting to go Primal but not sure if it's for me..... page

allycat is offline Junior Member

Wanting to go Primal but not sure if it's for me.....

Shop Now
    First off the reasons I want to go primal-
    1. I am very insulin resistant and have diabetes/prediabetes at age 35. (although I do have tight control of my blood sugar).

2. When I eat grains and sugar I get triggered into sweet cravings.
    3. We have to go gluten free anyway. (and maybe even dairy free)

Now, the reasons I am not sure-
    1. I tried it once before for 4 days and got really weak. So weak I couldn't do my workouts or really much of anything. My blood pressure got low and my heart started racing from the low carb aspect. So this wasn't just the "carb flu". And I really wasn't going too low carb either. Guess I need my carbs but then how would I lose weight?
    2. We absolutely cannot afford organic or grass fed meat. Isn't it bad to eat fatty meats that aren't organic or grass fed? anybody know?
    3. We couldn't afford it for the whole family. My son who is 6 1/2 is extremely intolerant to gluten. We both got tested through enterolab and need to go gluten free. I was planning on making him rice muffins, etc since he is a very picky eater (autism). No way could we afford the almond flour, etc.
    But then when I read about paleo, I feel really guilty giving him things made with rice or sorghum flour. I don't want him to end up diabetic either.

Any advice for all this??

oh and I only need to lose about 10-15 more pounds. I've recently lost 60 on weight watchers.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    You were probably having low carb flu and lost too many minerals. If you try again, make sure you are taking a cup or two of homemade bone broth with lots of sea salt in it and that you are using a magnesium supplement. (either good quality oral one that will be absorbed, like Natural Calm or a topical brine). Your symptoms are very consistent with electrolyte imbalance.

Many, many people here don't eat grass fed meats. Some cut the fat off before cooking and then add grass fed butter or coconut oil, some eat the fat and then take a little fish oil to balance out the omega 3 ratios, and other just feel there is so little actual PUFA in most meat that it is silly to worry. Any of those options are fine.

Nut flours are not really very healthy anyway. I would much prefer to give my child (hypothetical child that it ) things made with white rice flour than nut flours. I would just give it with lots of grass-fed ghee and feel okay about it.

Thanks Jammies! That's interesting you say that about the electrolyte imbalance. Now that you mention, it does sound like that's what it was. Is that a pretty common thing for people doing low carb? And does it ever go away? (or would you have to keep drinking bone broth everyday)

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allycat View Post
    Thanks Jammies! That's interesting you say that about the electrolyte imbalance. Now that you mention, it does sound like that's what it was. Is that a pretty common thing for people doing low carb? And does it ever go away? (or would you have to keep drinking bone broth everyday)
    It is very common in the beginning. Many people lose a lot of excess water when they start and so you lose electrolytes with that. It is temporary. However, magnesium deficiency in general is extremely common as soil and therefore most food contains much less magnesium than it used to. So you may want to consider adding some magnesium long term. You don't have to keep drinking bone broth but it is extremely healthy and contains lots of nutrients that may otherwise be missing from a diet. I make a batch once per week and usually have a couple serving a week with veggies in it. But again, not a necessary part of the diet, just a great step towards optimal health