Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immediate side effects of vitamin D? page

Farfalla is offline Senior Member

Immediate side effects of vitamin D?

Primal Fuel
    My brother has a cold and needs to get well soon. I gave him 20,000 I.U. of vitamin D (this brand) and the same dose for tomorrow and the day after tomorrow. About 20 minutes after swallowing the pastilles, he felt terribly sick - fast palpitations, faint-like symptoms, panic. All the symptoms passed after 2 minutes. Could it all be because of vitamin D? If so, I'd rather suggest that he should not take the remaining two doses. For whatever it is worth, he thinks it happened because he had blown his nose too hard and something "snapped in his ear". By the way, he also has neck and spine problems that make him dizzy from time to time. Otherwise he is fairly healthy.

I don't think it couldn't have been vitamin D but I'd be grateful if someone could confirm it.

activia is offline Senior Member
    did he take it with food?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Two things come to mind: first taking D can magnify the effects of a mild magnesium deficiency. The sypmtoms of low magnesium include anxiety and heart palpitations so I would suggest he get a good quality magnesium supplement (Natural calm is a good one) or a topical magnesium brine (that's mostly what I use and I love it).

The other thought would that something bad was in the D3 - like soybean oil - but I just clicked on your link and see it is in olive oil. I would guess it is the magnesium.

He didn't take it with food but he had eaten one hour before that. I will tell him about magnesium.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Farfalla,
    20,000 IU daily is too much. We take 10,000 IU daily and our blood tests came in perfect after 3 months at 70 ng/ml.
    They should be taken in the morning, just before breakfast.

Grizz

I take 10,000 IU per day as well but I've seen people here doubling the dose when they have a cold. I gave him 20,000 I.U. because he will have to survive a long flight a week from now, so he needs to be alright. But if you think 20,000 is too much, I will tell him.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would not worry about taking a short course of high dose to knock off a cold. It might be advisable to take some vitamin K2 or eat some pastured butter or dairy with it. 20,000 a day long term is too much, but not for a short course.

I recently caught a nasty virus (my first cold it 1.5 years since starting D3). I upped my dose for 2 days and my cold lasted only 3 days compared to two weeks for everyone around me that got it.

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I get that cold coming on feeling I double up on my Cs, my zinc, drink tons of Gypsy Cold CareŽ :: Traditional Medicinals :: Seasonal Products and stay warm. I have not had a cold for a very long time. I think zinc scares the little buggers off. Used to take echinacea too, but now I just grow it in my herb garden and simmer some in a small pan and inhale the vapor.

reflex is offline Member
    I routinely prescribe 50,000 units once weekly for twelve weeks to treat vitamin D deficiency -- and I have never had a patient complain of side effects.

So, a single dose of 20,000 units is unlikely to cause any significant side effects (though, anything is possible).

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    I take 10,000 IU per day as well but I've seen people here doubling the dose when they have a cold. I gave him 20,000 I.U. because he will have to survive a long flight a week from now, so he needs to be alright. But if you think 20,000 is too much, I will tell him.
    I take 40,000 for 3 days if I'm starting to come down with a cold. Never had any side effects, but I do take some magnesium every day.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast