Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A semester of sustained awesome! page 2

Jennerator is offline Member
    So I haven't posted but it's been a good few days

today I took the first lecture of a food nutrition and heath course called "current nutrition concepts and controversies".
    I was really excited about this course until I found out that 25% of my mark was based on a detailed 3 day food journal, comparing my intake to the recommended health canada guidelines and describing how I can change my eating habits to more closely comply. All of the info covered is based around standard nutrition guidelines! Where's the controversy?! I was hoping for at least some discussion of say, vegan, or low carb diets. And I really don't feel the need to be graded on my ability to explain why I don't have the recommended 6 servings of "hearth healthy whole grains" a day! Ugh.
    So I dropped the class, I'll just be responsible for my own nutrition education

My mom has rheumatoid arthritis and controls her symptoms through diet.
    I'm only 22 years old but I had suffered from hip pain for about 2 years before committing to paleo. It didn't even occur to me that diet might be playing a factor with my joint pain since I'm still pretty young, but arthritis runs really strong on her side of the family. Now i know that if I cheat, my hips will predictably start aching again 1-2 days after gluten consumption. For my mother, she gets severe pain the same day as any gluten, legume or nightshade consumption.
    I think of this diet as preventative medicine. Considering the amount of joint replacements that have been preformed on females on my mom's side of the family we're both really lucky to have wised up to dietary treatments before things got too out of hand!
    Last edited by Jennerator; 09-13-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Tricia is offline Senior Member
    Spartacus and sore butts reminds me of horse racing with people whipping you from other carts... But I'm sure that was not what the workout entailed
    I do understand the pull of perfectionism, but I think it's important to let go of that and focus on 'great'. Being kind to yourself is so much more productive as you say
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ---George Bernard Shaw
    When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Hahaha no my workout was not nearly that fun... erm or interesting.
    b- 3 eggs with spinach and garlic, tea with coconut oil and later coffee with cream
    l- salad with avocado oil and coconut vinegar dressing, pickled herring and sliced carrots on top
    s- a few date rolls (mashed dates in coconut flakes) and a spoonful of coconut oil
    dinner will be steamed veggies and baked salmon. then I will STOP EATING after dinner
    no exercise today, I'm tired and still a wee bit sore. I will rest today then do some cardio/row machine tomorrow

middlepath is offline Member
    Hope it's going well for you. Glad you're back to breakfast and wish you success. How'd those 3 eggs treat you? I find a big protein breakfast like the one recc'd for the leptin reset protocol really helps with cravings and snacking urges.

The 3 eggs were great! I used to be in the habit of eating breakfast, skipping lunch and eating dinner but these past few days I'm finding it hard to skip lunch (I think it's just because I've reconditioned myself to expect food in the afternoon) so maybe I just need to suffer through a few weeks of lunchtime hunger to get back into my old routine that was working for me pre-christmas.
    I did the spartacus workout again and it was much easier this time with less soreness!
    here it is if anyone's interested: The Spartacus Workout
    I still haven't managed 3 rounds yet but that should be achievable soon.
    I'm considering splurging on a few personal training sessions to get my form down and start lifting heavier weights.

Oh man I am sooo hooked on coconut oil right now. My boyfriend just watches in disbelief as I eat spoonful of it hehe. It's so tasty!!!
    Last edited by Jennerator; 09-13-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennerator View Post
    The 3 eggs were great! I used to be in the habit of eating breakfast, skipping lunch and eating dinner but these past few days I'm finding it hard to skip lunch (I think it's just because I've reconditioned myself to expect food in the afternoon) so maybe I just need to suffer through a few weeks of lunchtime hunger to get back into my old routine that was working for me pre-christmas. If I eat 3 meals a day I'm guaranteed to eat way too much.
    I did the spartacus workout again and it was much easier this time with less soreness!
    here it is if anyone's interested: The Spartacus Workout
    I still haven't managed 3 rounds yet but thatshould be achievable soon.
    I'm considering splurging on a few personal training sessions to get my form down and start lifting heavier weights.
    I'm just so hungry lately! So I'm eating a lot but keeping the carbs low, hopefully that should help. I don't expect any change at all in this month's measurements, hopefully February will be better. I think I will go whole 30 for feb with the exception of having a few drinks during reading week. (I'll be working a lot all of reading week but it's still supposed to be a fun break right?). My november whole 30 got me down to 121lbs without any exercise so maybe I can get back there next month with exercise!

Oh man I am sooo hooked on coconut oil right now. My boyfriend just watches in disbelief as I eat spoonful of it hehe. It's so tasty!!!
    Oh, I am so with you on the coconut oil! Especially with some salted pistachios thrown on or some pecans, cinnamon, and a drop of stevia. Coconut butter is delish, too, btw.

Glad the eggs are working out for you. If you're bothered by the munchies, you could try upping it to 5 eggs in order to get 50 grams of protein. That might get you down to two meals. If that seems like too many eggs, you can always whip up a whey protein (grass fed ie. Bluebonnet brand) smoothie with some almond milk, berries, and whatever else you like. Sometimes I throw in a few drops of almond extract and a couple of spoonfuls of sprouted flax seed powder.

And, like you say, maybe a little "suffering through the hunger". Even going primal, I had to be hungry and not eat sometimes in order to lose weight. Not extreme hunger but situations such as going to bed (having had 3 meals through the day) without having the snack I was craving, or not having an aternoon snack when I wanted it. However, that was before I discovered the "Big Ass Breakfast" prescribed by Dr. Jack Kruse for his leptin reset protocol. Maybe things would have been a little different if I had?

Will have to check out that Spartacus workout, though I admit I am pretty well indurated into my routine.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    p.s. If you haven't already seen this, you may find it interesting. It's an infographic on High Intensity Interval Training. They claim that three 30 minute HIIT workouts is worth five 60 minute cardio workouts.

The Complete Guide to Interval Training [Infographic] | Greatist.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12