Thread: Cordain's "The Paleo Diet" and confusion.... page

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member

Cordain's "The Paleo Diet" and confusion....

Primal Fuel
    Hello all, and happy New Year's!

I have been doing the PB for about 8 months, and am blown away by the results I have had. I would post pictures, but I gather that is quite a hassle to get them approved and such. In short, I have gone from 8.4% BF to 6.3%, seen BP drop a consistent 15 points, and my lipid panels changed to the point that my primary care doc asked me, "So what have you been doing?"

With this all said, I have a close friend of mine that is looking into all of this too. She received Loren Cordain's "The Paleo Diet" for xmas, and has been trying it out for the past few days, asking my opinions, etc. I have read it before, and tried it out a few years ago to no avail. The problem seems to be that my friend does not believe she will be able to maintain this diet very well, and that concerns her. When I tell my friend what I do, as my results were sort of what made her so curious, she explains how my plan is so different from what's outlined in the book. Here is a very brief summary:

* Cordain = Limit salt intake big time : Me = salt will take care of itself if you eat real food
    * Cordain = Sat fat is the enemy, and meats must be very lean, cooked in olive oil : Me = One of my staples is lamb chop (somewhat fatty) cooked in homemade butter
    * Cordain = No dairy, ever : Me = Greek yogurt is my preferred refuel food from walks/runs
    * Cordain = no bacon (!!!!!): Me = I start to shoot the hostages without bacon.

My question is, what does everyone think about Cordain's rules, and how can one justify this with studies, anecdotal stories, etc? I bought my friend Sisson's book, which she is reading next. Who is right here and why? I have my own reasons, but I want another's opinion as well. Thank you.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    There's slight differences between paleo and primal, with paleo being much stricter. Try both and see how you feel.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Check Cordain's website for updates, I gather he has changed his mind on a few things, including sat fat.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton