Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acidic Foods (and Onions) and B-12 page

Acidic and Base Foods (and Onions) and B-12

Primal Fuel
    I know our stomach acid has a ph of around 3 but adding a significant amount of more acid could be bad. What effect is possible from adding a serving of onion and other acidic foods? What is the ph of cooked onion and why is it that what I have been reading says onion is a great alkaline food but it is acidic? And also, that cooking food makes it acidic? I know making it alkaline has something to do with some reaction with our body but as a reaction directly to B-12, it could be bad.

I have heard information about how there is a concern that a significant acidic or base environment can destroy B-12 and that there was all this concern that Vitamin C supplements were destroying B-12 because they contained ascorbic acid. All of the studies I have read so far tested only 2 grams at the most and said there was no effect but what would the effect of adding a quarter cup or more of onion to your dish or soup be? Anyone who has any advice or who has tried to help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Baltimoretsg3984; 12-31-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    The help you need lies in scientific literature, not here. But to sum it up, worrying about acidifying foods is pointless when you eat a real diet rich in green vegetables and natural meats, bone stock and liver, etc. These foods contain the basic building blocks for maintaining a proper pH in the body, and for building bone. People eating paleo/primal add bone mass to their bodies (and maintain all those other essential functions!). I mean, if you drank two gallons of green tea every day, you'd be in trouble! But the foods, break even and then some without trying. You know how much B12 we eat? OMG, you'd piss yourself. Add a little vitamin D and there's no stopping us!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I definitely understand what you are saying Knifegill but from what I could afford I can only eat two servings of beef , 4 ounces lol, and a serving of chicken since I buy organic beef. And I would buy turkey but that is more expensive. One serving of beef has 35 percent the daily value. Chicken has 8 percent lol. So with optimal conditions, I get around seventy percent a day and many people are also in a similar situation as mine financially. But if I could eat the right foods, I wouldn't worry about one of my meals being interfered with onions. I add onions and garlic to a soup I make with beef and it tastes so great. But I am stopping it today and starting with adding it only to my chard soup lol.
    Last edited by Baltimoretsg3984; 12-31-2011 at 01:49 AM.

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Some foods are acidic in themselves but in your body they have a net alkaline effect. Almost all fruits and vegetables are alkalizing, even citrus fruits like lemon. I'm interested in why this is but I can't really find any explanation, which I guess means I probably shouldn't believe it. But I don't worry about it anyway.

Check out your local grass-fed butcher. Liver, bones and other organs are typically cheap or free.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

There is many reasons I am sure why there might not be many studies done on certain things in food, because it could have a bad effect on our economy. And that is the way things work. But because there is no study done on it doesn't mean it isn't true. But of course it could be false.

Wait...what?

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I used to worry a lot about PH balance because I tend to eat very low carb with not many green vegetables (I love them, but I can't tolerate many carbs).

In any case, I'd also read that it really doesn't matter in terms of food intake, that the body balances it's PH if you're otherwise healthy.

Twice within the past year, my primary doctor has run tests that include PH. Both times, I was eating a high-acid, very low carb diet. And both times, my PH came back as perfectly balanced.

So I don't worry about this any more.

Oh emmie I am not concerned about my body's ph; I am concerned that certain acids and bases are destroying B-12 in the same meal. I know what you are saying though.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, bah. Good luck destroying all the B12 you'll be taking in.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast