Thread: grok.mil page

Quickdraw is offline Member

grok.mil

Howdy folks!

I'm a US Marine on deployment in the Pacific, and I decided to try out the primal lifestyle while I'm out here. The original idea was just "I'm going to stop eating carbs during this deployment," but I read the Primal Blueprint while in the Cambodian jungle for training and the idea has blossomed. My wife and I already did a lot of primal things: minimize desserts, hike for fun, sleep well, play, and manage stress (as much as a Marine and his wife can manage the stress of workups and deployments). Now we've finally found a lifestyle blueprint and community that shows we're not alone, and answers a lot of "what now" questions we already had!

I look forward to getting to know the community. We got any other other military folks out there?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Fire away the questions.

And thanks for serving.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    There are quite a few military people around- past and present, active and reserve, air, land and sea.

I wish the Army would start learning a bit from PB, 'cause I've got some jacked-up soldiers, in terms of health and fitness.

I'm very fortunate to be in a field that allows me some leeway (other than MREs). I'm part of a small team working independent of the larger element over on the main ship, so we have flexible hours and individual PT. Plus a drawer full of primal-friendly snacks.

The Army has always seemed, from the outside, to be uniquely resistant to learning much of anything as an organization. I mean hell they ban toe shoes while the Marines have (mostly, depending on your local SgtMaj) embraced them...
    About Me | Journal: "Grok: Deployed"
    "Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James Mattis

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Omega 6s/cooking oil was a major pitfall when stuck eating at the dining facility, everything else is easier to work around.

I tried to account for that. I've got a metric assload of nuts (walnuts, cashews, pecans, almonds) and a big ol' bottle of fish oil pills to help balance that out. Usually one meal a day ends up being a handful of assorted snacks (the nuts, jerky, dried fruit, coconut).

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    I'm very fortunate to be in a field that allows me some leeway (other than MREs). I'm part of a small team working independent of the larger element over on the main ship, so we have flexible hours and individual PT. Plus a drawer full of primal-friendly snacks.

The Army has always seemed, from the outside, to be uniquely resistant to learning much of anything as an organization. I mean hell they ban toe shoes while the Marines have (mostly, depending on your local SgtMaj) embraced them...
    No, they allowed Five Fingers, on request of Fort Bragg... for a while... Then someone decided that they look bad... I mean, "may cause an unfair advantage" and were banned for use in uniform. Yes, it's crap, but I picked NB Minimus Trail shoes over the VFF to avoid this issue entirely. Merrell barefoot shoes are pretty nice, too.

I see the Army spewing out the "move more, eat less (fat)" crap that isn't working for many soldiers. Granted, some soldiers don't have the motivation to lose weight regardless, but it would be nice to give them more tools. I teach marksmanship for the Army, and there are things that I have to retrain soldiers away from that are not the best way of doing things that have somehow persisted since the use of the M14, prior to the M16 being adopted in Vietnam, 40-some-odd years ago. My class usually starts with the following:

"I'm going to teach you some things that may contradict what you have heard in the past, some habits that you have had for years, or even decades. I'm not a drill sergeant and I can't force you to change, but I will ask that you try everything I suggest. This will give you more tools in your toolbox to figure out what works best for you."

Most of the time this goes over pretty well, and I'm able to explain why the things they have learned before are wrong, but some just don't want to change. My buddies, several of whom are President's Hundred earners, are still trying to get the manual to change the description of how a finger should lay on a trigger. It's ridiculous.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've got the Merrell barefoots; they're actually my only pair of non-boots for the whole deployment, PT and liberty, and they're working out fantastically. I want to add the VFFs when I get home. Apparently the big Smaj on our main ship spent several days yelling at people who were wearing VFFs, then publicly apologized when he found out they were actually authorized by the Marine Corps, then finally solved the issue by personally banning them at the command-level.

And they wonder why people get out.

I've known plenty of soldiers (joint training commands and whatnot) who struggled endlessly. Yet oddly the one SPC I knew with celiac's got even slimmer and healthier after she started drawing medically-necessary BAS and fixing her own meals. That's probably where the seed got planted (pardon the pun) for me to start looking into grain-free life.

At the risk of running VERY far afield from the topic at hand: I'm always on the lookout to improve my marksmanship technique, both fundamentals and combat. If you've got your unique take/improvement written down somewhere, I'd love to have a look.