Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, eating more carbs reduce fat...hmmm... page

David is offline Senior Member

Cool So, eating more carbs reduce fat...hmmm...

Primal Fuel
    Following Paleo/Primal blogs along with this great blog (MDA), there is all kinds of input how to lose body fat. Most of us know how to lose BF, but how many of us can find the "sweet spot" for losing the last unwanted BF? (IF is often mentioned too, to reduce BF).
    Most blogs I read say to reduce the carbs below 100g or less, while I've read a few that increase carbs on a workout day and found the "sweet spot" to rid of the last BF%.

If you have found the "sweet spot" to reduce the last of your unwanted BF, what led you to finding it? Which method is may be more successful, eating less carbs every day, or, increasing carb intake on workout days? What type of carbs did/do you ate/eat and when?

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I was very low carbohydrate for the first 4 months, shed embarrassingly large amounts of blubber, then I tried adding some more carbs since I was pretty svelte to go along with my Crossfit regimen (moderated by my own common sense mind you) and today I feel and function as great as I've ever been.

Congratulations!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I do one or two carb-up days at whim, if I start feeling run down. That means sweet potatoes and extra veggies, and I usually time it over a day I know I might cheat, like dinner at the mother-in-law's, so I'm at least already rolling in starches anyway. But most work days I keep carbs to 50g, more or less, for five to eight days in a row. I think my coconut milk may have been just a little calorically dense for my needs (and the grocery bill), so I've just decided to swap it out for more meats. We'll see how it goes, but it's day two and I'm craving meat less, and not missing the fat drink. But I was at 75% fat on my intake, this new plan takes me down to about 50 to 60 percent. Protein, I'll be shooting for about 100g instead of my old 70g "good enough for my budget" mark. The rest is spinach, cauliflower, carrots and broccoli - all frozen organics. Then avocados, apples, zucchini and similar. Trace amounts of seaweed, canned mackerel, sea salt, coconut oil, tallow and spices. But I've already lost a total of 45 pounds, these are just the last ten or fifteen. To be honest, my goal weight was 175 and I'm already at 170 and see no reason to stop dropping fat. But I'm also adding muscle, so I don't expect the scale to budge.

As for workouts and timing, I really like to fast after a workout for a few hours, then eat some meat. But I'm also not constantly trying to set new records, my goals are slow and steady health maintenance...with slight improvements over time. I'm already up to 10-15 chin-ups and over thirty push-ups, and fit for a good run or a four or five set of hardcore sprints. I'm as fit as I need to be to control my risk factors and keep illnesses at bay. The rest is just fun and games.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Wow. Sounds like a good plan. It's working for you!

I'm at a good weight for my height, etc., but haven't been able to lose the last 5-8% BF. Tried Mark's plan with PB, eating Paleo, and rarely cheat. I've adjusted the amount of cabs from 35 to 65g to approximately 100g a day while reducing fat %. Been at this for 3 years or more (trying different methods to lose BF yet maintain current weight), no change.

If I want to gain strength then I eat more food (which increases BF%). I can't lose weight and gain strength because I'm not over the weight budget.

Tried Leangains, too. Just lose weight because I struggle to consume enough calories to maintain. It's a challenge!!

For exercise, Crossfit is my main resource (4x a week).
    Last edited by David; 12-31-2011 at 09:39 AM.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Wow. Sounds like a good plan. It's working for you!

I'm at a good weight for my height, etc., but haven't been able to lose the last 5-8% BF. Tried Mark's plan with PB, eating Paleo, and rarely cheat. I've adjusted the amount of cabs from 35 to 65g to approximately 100g a day while reducing fat %. Been at this for 3 years or more (trying different methods to lose BF yet maintain current weight), no change.

If I want to gain strength then I eat more food (which increases BF%). I can't lose weight and gain strength because I'm not over the weight budget.

Tried Leangains, too. Just lose weight because I struggle to consume enough calories to maintain. It's a challenge!!

For exercise, Crossfit is my main resource (4x a week).
    Glad there is someone else in the same boat as me. I wish I could rid myself of that inner tube.

Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Glad there is someone else in the same boat as me. I wish I could rid myself of that inner tube.
    Ha! Maybe we should start a forum on this site and call it the "Stubborn Tubers" for all that struggle with this. I bet there are a lot of people in the same tuber boat.

Oh well, just glad that I have my good health!

Happy New Year...

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I've been relaxing my standards a bit while I try to gain some muscle and I've gained some fat as well. I'm not too worried about it, as I intend to start carb-cycling at some point. It's just hard to plan that cooking for my wife as well.

Have you had luck finding the "sweet spot" like Mark Sisson. Golly, every time I see his pic at the top of this website, sitting there showing what a dude could look like, I wonder what I've missed in my experiences of trying to lose the last of the BF?? LOL.

korvix is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Low carb rest days (50 grams or less - usually from veggies only)
    Higher carb workout days (100-300 - depending on how long/hard you've worked out)

This carb cycling has proven to maintain sanity and reduce body fat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast