Page 1 of 371 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine Anyone?

Hybrid View

Iodine Anyone?

Iodine awareness needs to improve. It's a very critical nutrient that is important for energy levels and metabolism, and it's essential for the proper functioning of your thyroid and every cell in your body.

I picked up some Lugol's iodine (a liquid iodine supplement). I've been adding only 1 drop to my morning glass of water every other day. And let me tell you, you notice a huge boost in energy on those days. Iodine is essential for your thyroid and so is selenium. It boosts thyroid productivity and causes an increase in basal metabolic rate (helps weight loss?). Apparently some believe Americans are grossly iodine deficient, as the only source is the potassium iodide that is artificially added to refined salt. When you cut out processed foods which contain salt, you are thus cutting out your only source of this very important nutrient!

Natural sources of iodine include: Seaweed, Seafood (haddock, cod, sea bass, perch, sardines, shrimps, clams, lobsters and oysters), Milk, Eggs and Tuna.

Links:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/iodine-deficiency/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/5-com...#axzz1y14bM9zw
    Iodine 101 - by Grizz

What are your thoughts/experiences with iodine?
    Last edited by Bosnic; 06-16-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Regularly including sea veges in your diet should address iodine needs. I crunch up nori sheets on top of my salads a couple times a week, and I also use raw dulse flakes in place of salt regularly. I don't have the container with me, but I want to say something like a 1/4tsp of the dulse provides 220% of RDA of iodine (which is a bit low @ 150mcg.) Kelp granules and kombu are good sources, kelp noodles are tasty as well.

Yep, seaweed and oysters.
    Steak, eggs, potatoes - fruits, nuts, berries and forage. Coconut milk and potent herbs and spices. Tea instead of coffee now and teeny amounts of kelp daily. Let's see how this does! Not really had dairy much, and gut seems better for it.

I take iodine from time to time. Based on some Asian cultures, I think it's highly unlikely I'll be able to put too much in my body from the drops, but I could be doing myself some good. I take it because I try to limit salt (and hwen I have it make it a natural source that's probably low on iodine).

I take the drops, but I have heard that kelp tablets are overall better for you. When I'm done with the drops, I'll be picking up kelp tablets.

I use potassium iodide tablets. I was taking 4 a day for about a month. Now I take 2 a day, if I remember to. I also snack on Dulse sometimes. It's pretty good. I don't notice any energy changes. I do notice if I take Vitamin D I feel hot.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I use potassium iodide tablets. I was taking 4 a day for about a month. Now I take 2 a day, if I remember to. I also snack on Dulse sometimes. It's pretty good. I don't notice any energy changes. I do notice if I take Vitamin D I feel hot.
    This isn't the type of iodine your body can efficiently use, it's only half of the iodine we need. The more bio-avaiable form is what you get in seaweed etc, or Celtic/Himalayan unprocessed salt. I recently read up on this in primal Body, Primal Mind. Iodide is what they add to refined table-salt.

I suspect this is just another fad promoted to sell supplements to the unwary. I've had Hashimoto's for years, and one thing I've learned from my research into thyroid is that it is relatively rare for anyone in the U.S. to be iodine deficient because we've iodized salt for so long and added iodine into other foods.

Iodine deficiency can cause non-Hashi's hypothyroidism, but that is mainly restricted to third-world countries. I've read that there hasn't been a documented case of hypo that was caused by iodine deficiency in the U.S. since the early part of the 20th century.

Personally, I don't take any supplement unless I have a medical test that documents a deficiency--which is how I began taking Vit. D3.

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I suspect this is just another fad promoted to sell supplements to the unwary. I've had Hashimoto's for years, and one thing I've learned from my research into thyroid is that it is relatively rare for anyone in the U.S. to be iodine deficient because we've iodized salt for so long and added iodine into other foods.

Iodine deficiency can cause non-Hashi's hypothyroidism, but that is mainly restricted to third-world countries. I've read that there hasn't been a documented case of hypo that was caused by iodine deficiency in the U.S. since the early part of the 20th century.

Personally, I don't take any supplement unless I have a medical test that documents a deficiency--which is how I began taking Vit. D3.
    emmie,
    This just came in for your Hashi: There is now a great deal of hope for ALL autoimmune disease!
    This is the real deal ! This is not an "Internet Folk-lore."
    Neurologist Dr. Kruse supports this amazing discovery for Multiple Schlerosis, Cancers, Parkinsons, Alzheimers and more autoimmune diseases. See the complete list below.

This doctor cured his MS & failing memory with this amazing chance discovery for the new applications of an old drug, LDN.
    "The Single Greatest Drug Breakthrough since Penicillin," A Miracle Cure for cancers & autoimmune disease - $8 a month.
    LDN simply boosts the immune system which in turn cures all of these diseases, with no side effects.

Generic Name: Naltrexone Hcl
    US Brand : Revia 50 mg
    Manufacturer : Intas Pharmaceuticals India
    Package : 10 Pills
    Price : $16.80
    Strength : 50 mg ( must be cut down to 4 mg daily )

Dosage: Just 4 mg daily, cost $1 a day, causes a big boost in the immune system to cure multiple diseases
    Videos & story here. See the video LDN in 7 minutes first
    Uncategorized Google LDN!

Bernard Bihari, MD, as well as other physicians and researchers, have described beneficial effects of LDN on a variety of diseases:

Cancers & Other Diseases:
    Bladder Cancer
    Breast Cancer
    Carcinoid
    Colon & Rectal Cancer
    Glioblastoma
    Liver Cancer
    Lung Cancer (Non-Small Cell)
    Lymphocytic Leukemia (chronic)
    Lymphoma (Hodgkin’s and Non-Hodgkin’s)
    Malignant Melanoma
    Multiple Myeloma
    Neuroblastoma
    Ovarian Cancer
    Pancreatic Cancer
    Prostate Cancer (untreated)
    Renal Cell Carcinoma
    Throat Cancer
    Uterine Cancer

ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
    Alzheimer’s Disease
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Autism Spectrum Disorders
    Behcet’s Disease
    Celiac Disease
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    CREST syndrome
    Crohn’s Disease
    Emphysema (COPD)
    Endometriosis
    Fibromyalgia
    HIV/AIDS
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
    Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
    Parkinson’s Disease
    Pemphigoid
    Primary Lateral Sclerosis (PLS)
    Psoriasis
    Rheumatoid Arthritis
    Sarcoidosis
    Scleroderma
    Stiff Person Syndrome (SPS)
    Systemic Lupus (SLE)
    Transverse Myelitis
    Ulcerative Colitis
    Wegener’s Granulomatosis
    EDIT - 3/15/12
    I have started this new thread on LDN
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post739097

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 03-15-2012 at 03:57 AM.

DUDE. My hands and feet are always cold! I'm even wearing fingerless gloves as I type this!

Can tincture of iodine be found anywhere? Any drug store? Or a naturopathic one?

Originally from Grizz:

Common symptoms include:
    Fatigue
    Depression
    Modest weight gain
    Cold intolerance
    Excessive sleepiness
    Dry, coarse hair
    Constipation
    Dry skin
    Muscle cramps
    Increased cholesterol levels
    Decreased concentration
    Vague aches and pains
    Swelling of the legs

Wow. I have thyroid nodules, and have been reading the threads about adding iodine to your diet with interest. I've started eating Nori daily (love the stuff) and have added kelp noodles - have been eating a lot of those, too. It really wasn't until I read the symptoms that I had my Aha! moment.

I have suffered from muscle cramps for a long time. I've added magenisum, calcium... to my diet, upped my water intake, and nothing has helped. My feet cramp when I do yoga, stretching or sometimes even just sitting around, my thighs cramp regularly (I can tell you, that is not a fun feeling). As it was usually after some tough workout, I blamed that. I started adding kelp about the same time I started a round of P90X2 - I love the balance work.

I noticed immediately that I started sleeping better. I used to have several nights a week where I would wake up at 2AM and have trouble getting back to sleep. Those seemed to be gone. I credited P90X2 for that - I had increased my level of exercise, so I thought I was responding to that. The cramping, or lack there of, I noticed when after a few days without Nori, my foot cramped, and I had to literally think back to the last time that happened. It's been a while. A long while. P90X2 is not as tough physically as P90X, but it would have, in the past absolutely made me cramp. Nothing.

Funny how the light bulb can go on like that... Thank you all!
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less