Page 1 of 415 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page

Bosnic is offline Senior Member

Iodine Anyone?

Primal Fuel
    Iodine awareness needs to improve. It's a very critical nutrient that is important for energy levels and metabolism, and it's essential for the proper functioning of your thyroid and every cell in your body.

I picked up some Lugol's iodine (a liquid iodine supplement). I've been adding only 1 drop to my morning glass of water every other day. And let me tell you, you notice a huge boost in energy on those days. Iodine is essential for your thyroid and so is selenium. It boosts thyroid productivity and causes an increase in basal metabolic rate (helps weight loss?). Apparently some believe Americans are grossly iodine deficient, as the only source is the potassium iodide that is artificially added to refined salt. When you cut out processed foods which contain salt, you are thus cutting out your only source of this very important nutrient!

Natural sources of iodine include: Seaweed, Seafood (haddock, cod, sea bass, perch, sardines, shrimps, clams, lobsters and oysters), Milk, Eggs and Tuna.

Links:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/iodine-deficiency/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/5-com...#axzz1y14bM9zw
    Iodine 101 - by Grizz

What are your thoughts/experiences with iodine?
    Last edited by Bosnic; 06-16-2012 at 08:13 PM.

raney is offline Senior Member
    Regularly including sea veges in your diet should address iodine needs. I crunch up nori sheets on top of my salads a couple times a week, and I also use raw dulse flakes in place of salt regularly. I don't have the container with me, but I want to say something like a 1/4tsp of the dulse provides 220% of RDA of iodine (which is a bit low @ 150mcg.) Kelp granules and kombu are good sources, kelp noodles are tasty as well.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yep, seaweed and oysters.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    I take iodine from time to time. Based on some Asian cultures, I think it's highly unlikely I'll be able to put too much in my body from the drops, but I could be doing myself some good. I take it because I try to limit salt (and hwen I have it make it a natural source that's probably low on iodine).

I take the drops, but I have heard that kelp tablets are overall better for you. When I'm done with the drops, I'll be picking up kelp tablets.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I use potassium iodide tablets. I was taking 4 a day for about a month. Now I take 2 a day, if I remember to. I also snack on Dulse sometimes. It's pretty good. I don't notice any energy changes. I do notice if I take Vitamin D I feel hot.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I was supplementing with it back when I first started. I heard it helped with migraines, along with magnesium, but I dropped it when I ran out and just kept the magnesium, which seems to work very well. I should probably throw in a little nori every now and then, but I need to do more research first to see if I really even need it. Interested to hear what others have to say.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Grizz is offline Banned
    EDIT 7/17/12
    Does taking iodine cause any problems? Answer here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post876933

IMPORTANT ! Read the LATEST The Guide to Supplementing with Iodine. Download by Dr. Buist here:
    http://steppingstonesliving.com/resources/iodine/

Please see Iodine 101 before you start taking iodine This new document replaces reading this whole thread
    Warning: If you don't follow a Doctor's Protocol then you are at your own risk.

Each mg of iodine taken in will detox some toxins into our blood stream. If more toxins get into our blood stream than the liver & kidneys can handle, we WILL see detox symptoms such as headache, pimples, bloat,

THIS COULD BE YOU IF YOU TAKE TOO MUCH IODINE TOO SOON:

Photo of Bromide Detox from excessive bromide toxins being released into the bloodstream.

Disclaimer:
    ==============
    ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR OR LICENSED HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL.
    If you use anything on this site without the guidance of a qualified health professional, it is at your own risk and responsibility.
    All information posted in this document is provided for educational purposes only and is not to be construed as medical advice. Only a licensed medical doctor can legally offer medical advice in the United States. These articles and text are simply a collection of information that is in the public domain; they should not be construed as representations or claims by Marks Daily Apple.com or of its members. No claims whatsoever can be made as to the specific benefits that might result from the use of any of the suggested nutrients, supports, opinions, supplements, articles and or applications. The information in this guide is offered without warranty, either express or implied and techniques described herein should not be employed to treat any serious ailment without prior consultation with a qualified healthcare professional..This document is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. For your own personal health, always consult with a qualified doctor or healthcare practitioner.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-25-2012 at 08:14 AM.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Hmmmm...this is very interesting. Keep us posted, Grizz!

I just bought some iodine supplementation from kelp. Haven't noticed a difference yet, but hey I'll give anything a try!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I take a drop or so of iodine a few times a week. A few years ago I saw a non-traditional MD who had me take iodine. He suggests starting slowly and working your way up because taking iodine can apparently displace any bromine that has accumulated in your body and cause some nasty side effects. He also suggested taking 2 glasses of water per day with a quarter teaspoon of sea salt in them while supplementing the iodine.

I have mixed results with it. Sometimes I feel great after taking it - at first I thought it was almost a miracle. And I got very hot after my first few doses. But my energy is definitely not consistently better on. Sometimes, but not always.

Also - be aware - if you have Hashimoto's thryroiditis it is very controversial to take iodine. So be sure to do your research before starting.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I use potassium iodide tablets. I was taking 4 a day for about a month. Now I take 2 a day, if I remember to. I also snack on Dulse sometimes. It's pretty good. I don't notice any energy changes. I do notice if I take Vitamin D I feel hot.
    This isn't the type of iodine your body can efficiently use, it's only half of the iodine we need. The more bio-avaiable form is what you get in seaweed etc, or Celtic/Himalayan unprocessed salt. I recently read up on this in primal Body, Primal Mind. Iodide is what they add to refined table-salt.

Page 1 of 415 1231151101 ... LastLast