Page 6 of 415 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 6

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The urine test is the undisputed BEST way to test iodine levels. However I just can't dismiss the skin patch test as being worthless.

I think we should use the skin patch test and compare notes to see what value it has. My skin patch disappears in less than 3 minutes and this suggests that I am severely deficient. I will soon boost my supplement from 2 mg/day Norwegian Kelp caps to 12 mg/day iodoral from Amazon. I'm willing to wager that the skin patch will last a lot longer after a while at the new dosage.

So bottom line, I think there is at least some value in the skin patch test.

Grizz

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    I started with some Maine Coast Seaweed capsules 500micrograms. My scalp broke out two days later and then two days after that I got a serious head cold with a little joint ache. I'm wondering if that was bromide detox (I do color my hair). I'm glad the iodine dose is low and I've started vit c, selinium, b2 and niacin. I also did a salt flush and started to feel better almost immediately.
    Last edited by Ferti; 01-24-2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: grammer/spelling

Clabbergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferti View Post
    I started with some Maine Coast Seaweed capsules 500micrograms. My scalp broke out two days later and then two days after that I got a serious head cold with a little joint ache. I'm wondering if that was bromide detox (I do color my hair). I'm glad the iodine dose is low and I've started vit c, selinium, b2 and niacin. I also did a salt flush and started to feel better almost immediately.
    I had the same reaction show up about a week into iodine supplementing with increased dosage of Lugol's solution and thought at first it was maybe an issue with iodine and gluten sensitivity producing dermatitis herpetiformis. I stopped iodine sups and immediately went wheat free - 4 weeks later I still had the issue but it had improved significantly, that is, until I started iodine again. Now that you mention it, I got an awful cold about 2 days into the supplement too, but never attributed it to supplementing because something has been going around the office. I just figured it was working in a germy environment.

More research (most of it here on these boards) has led me to believe as you do - that it's bromine detox. I googled some photos of that and it's more in line with what I've experienced, although why it appears on the scalp only, I have no idea. I began supplementing with selenium and Vit C., then last week added Lugol's back. Scalp issue returned with a vengeance within 12 hours, but having learned of the salt flush, tried it with some relief. This is making me lean toward it being a detox symptom. I'm sorry it happened to you, but glad to hear from someone with a similar situation.

Hair color has bromine so that was what I was thinking with the scalp breakout. I stopped using floride products (toothpaste etc) a few months back and I use spring water for cooking/drinking. I started with the iodine(seaweed) because of breast cysts which have gotten better since going paleo (probably less bromine in my diet) except for one flair up at Christmas.

Clabbergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferti View Post
    Hair color has bromine so that was what I was thinking with the scalp breakout. I stopped using floride products (toothpaste etc) a few months back and I use spring water for cooking/drinking. I started with the iodine(seaweed) because of breast cysts which have gotten better since going paleo (probably less bromine in my diet) except for one flair up at Christmas.
    I also color my hair and have done so for at least 10 years, so that's possible. It didn't occur to me that my scalp would actually absorb the chemicals I've been putting on it all this time...I'm great at denial. But from other reports, bromide is in so many things, including wheat (and I've been eating wheat products for 40+ years), that I expected an all over reaction if it were that.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Bromide Detox Strategies
    1. Salt Loading.
    2. Stopping iodine for 48 hours to rest the kidneys.
    3. Reducing the iodine dose temporarily, then working back up.
    4. Taking several grams vitamin C spread out throughout the day along
    with the Iodine Companion Nutrients.
    5. Drinking more water.
    6. Pulse-dosing (stopping and restarting iodine therapy.)
    7. According to Iodine users with skin symptoms, adding 25 mg zinc often helps.

Iodine-related bromide symptoms may include but are not limited to:

eye lid twitching
    foot twitching
    tingling in hands or feet
    dark thoughts (e.g., there is no reason to live)
    depression (e.g., there is no reason to get out of bed)
    anxiety
    emotionality
    mouth and tongue sores and cuts or "sore mouth"
    "different" acne,"bromide acne," "acne-like eruptions" without "coniform." (Some iodine users found zinc helps bromide acne.)
    skin "cuts"
    hair loss
    brain fog
    leg and hip ache (feels like arthritis)
    rash (bromaderma)
    metallic taste
    sinus ache
    cherry angiomas
    runny nose
    headache
    sedation
    lethargy
    odd swallowing sensation (reported in old medical literature as "swollen glottis")
    body odor (bromos is Greek for stench)
    unusual urine odor <==== I notice this one
    dry mouth
    ureteral spasm, frequent urination (mistaken for urinary infection)
    diarrhea
    constipation
    vision changes
    irritability
    increased salivation
    dream changes
    hormone changes
    kidney pain
    breast tenderness (transient symptom reported to resolve)
    Iodine-related bromide detox symptoms and strategies

So bottom .line, there are a LOT of bromide detox symptoms ! We have spent our entire lives loading bromide, chlorine & other toxic chemicals into our bodies, and it will take some time to detox.

Edit: The Bromide Horror Story:
    PERSONAL PRODUCTS AND SOME COSMETICS
    ( Here is how it gets on your scalp & skin, confirmation )
    Sodium bromate in Products: Permanent Waves, Hair Dyes, Textile Dyes
    Sodium bromate is in permanent wave neutralizers, hair dye material, and
    the textile dyeing process. (28) Benzalkonium is used as a preservative
    in some cosmetics. (29)

http://breastcancerchoices.org/bromi...ncetheory.html

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-24-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Bromide Poisoning Symptoms
    =======================

Consumption, medications, lack of iodine, and exposure all combine to tilt the scales toward toxic levels of bromide in the system. As bromine levels increase and bind to the receptors for iodine throughout the body, iodine is released from the body and symptoms of iodine deficiency become more prevalent:
    Goiter Hemorrhoids
    Migraines
    ADD/ADHD
    Excess mucous formation
    Fatigue
    Fibrocystic Breasts
    Atherosclerosis
    Increased urination <<<=== My symptoms
    Kidney syndrome
    Vaginal infections
    Prostate disorders <<<=== My symptoms, now mostly cleared up since starting iodine supplements
    Keloids
    Hypertension
    Thyroid disorders
    Liver diseases
    Viral, bacterial, and fungal infections
    Reduced immunity
    Dry skin
    Puffy eyes
    Constipation as well as other signs of hypothyroidism…
    http://smithchiro.net/articles/Bromide%20Toxicity.pdf

Best to all,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-24-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Grizz, did you go from 2 mg kelp tabs to 12 mg Iodoral tablets? I ask because I've read in a few places that people should stay at each dose for at least a week before doubling to the next level. 2 mg, 4 mg, 8 mg etc, with a couple weeks at each dosage. One source even said a month at each dosage. This is to prevent a rebound effect on your thyroid (where it loses efficiency or something like that). Anybody else read the same thing?

My next question is about bromide detox. Is this something that everyone starting up with Iodine experiences, or just some people? I have recently started iodine and currently at 1.2mg and a few days after starting came down with a bad headcold and lethargy. I assumed I caught my husband's cold but could it be bromide detox? My runny nose, sinus ache and low energy are on the list of possible symptoms. Of course, it could just be a cold.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Can I skip worrying about bromide detox and salt flushes and just eat some seaweed?

I seemed to detox with seaweed.

Page 6 of 415 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast