Page 411 of 415 FirstFirst ... 311361401409410411412413 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,110 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 411

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    Did you bother to check the points raised on Quackwatch with other sources? Can you point me towards the documented research that Batmanghelidj claims to have done? Do you believe that the body splits water into hydrogen & oxygen to use as its main source of energy? Can you think of any reason why drinking lots of water might alleviate the pain of a stomach ulcer?
    Can't address all your questions, but as a longterm ulcer sufferer (to the point of bleeding and threatened hospitalization) from a family with many ulcers, I can verify that drinking lots of water dilutes the burning . Same amount of acid, but diluted.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post

One question I had though - the only info. I can find about salt supplementation on the breastcancerchoices.org site is for the salt flush protocol - 1/4 tsp. of salt in 1/2 cup of warm water, followed by 12-16 ounces of water. Is this what's recommended for daily salt intake as well?
    My understanding from the Iodine@yahoogroups.com directions is 1/2 tsp unrefined salt every day, but doing the salt flush (1/2 to 1 tsp salt in a cup of warm water, followed by 10-12 oz water) is recommended for toning down a detox reaction. If it persists, and no elimination follows within 30 minutes, do another salt flush. I think 3 flushes is the daily maximum. And, needless to add, I personally would cut my iodine intake to zero till my reaction was controlled.;-)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    Can't address all your questions, but as a longterm ulcer sufferer (to the point of bleeding and threatened hospitalization) from a family with many ulcers, I can verify that drinking lots of water dilutes the burning . Same amount of acid, but diluted.
    Batmanghelidj claimed that water is one of the main sources of energy for the brain and the entire body and that it produces "hydro-electric" energy by splitting into hydrogen and oxygen. This claim is obviously nonsense. Anything he has to say after that becomes suspect in my book. I also am suspicious of anyone claiming to have the one answer for a long list of all the maladies known to humanity.

About drinking water to help ease and ulcer, that actually makes a lot of sense. A water deficiency is not what caused the ulcer in the first place though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    My understanding from the Iodine@yahoogroups.com directions is 1/2 tsp unrefined salt every day, but doing the salt flush (1/2 to 1 tsp salt in a cup of warm water, followed by 10-12 oz water) is recommended for toning down a detox reaction. If it persists, and no elimination follows within 30 minutes, do another salt flush. I think 3 flushes is the daily maximum. And, needless to add, I personally would cut my iodine intake to zero till my reaction was controlled.;-)
    Sensible. The thing about the Brownstien protocol being so convoluted and complicated with all those "required" supplements is that it leaves a lot of places for someone to say, "Ur doing it wrong, take some more salt", or "It's a bromide de-tox", instead of possibly looking at the idea that maybe huge doses of iodine are just not so great for everyone.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I know that MDA eschews conventional medicine, but ulcers is one thing that conventional medicine has figured out.
    Are you considering antibiotics for the H. Pylori?
    Yes, it's antibiotics, but how much worse can it be than an ulcer?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    I've heard some H.pylori is good...so confusing I can't seem to find any information on it....what separates bad from good if there really is. Or maybe I just read something that is untrue...I somewhat believe its possible though...some milk is good while other milk is ok...pasteurized milk has issues while raw milk is better. Some people have issues with raw milk if its A1 some don't when its A2.

Things are complicated....so complicated.

What I would really like is a breakdown of the different good beneficial bacteria and where to find them. What they are good for etc..I'm guessing more information will be out there at some point...bacteria is an evolving science just like everything.

Some yogurt has such and such cultures...while other yogurts have different ones...same with different cheeses, Kefir, Kombuncha etc.. etc.. I'd love to know more about what strains are most important and where to get them.
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 07-30-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Sceptic is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t2t View Post
    There is also an iodine DEBATE forum for those, who think that taking iodine is either dangerous or wrong.
    Shouldn't a debate forum be for people interested in finding out the truth as opposed to just taking things on faith (either for or against)? We should ask questions and not be afraid of hearing the answers, because to do otherwise is to stick our heads in the sand. Perhaps iodine in large amount is injurious to the health over the long term. Perhaps not taking iodine in large amounts causes health issues in the long term. To avoid a rational debate is to ignore the possibility that our preconceptions are simply wrong. And that would be a mistake.

Sceptic is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    As for salt loading, my blood pressure went up 20 points in a month. I'm not going to continue with it.
    Would potassium chloride be effective for flushing out the bromides etc? If the sodium content is the main factor in upping blood pressure (which I wouldn't necessarily bet on, but still...), and the chlorine content is what's displacing the bromine and helping to flush it out, then presumably it would be a slightly safer alternative for those who can't handle an increased sodium intake.

Plus, I vaguely recall reading something about increased potassium intake lowering blood pressure.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    I've heard some H.pylori is good...so confusing I can't seem to find any information on it....what separates bad from good if there really is. Or maybe I just read something that is untrue...I somewhat believe its possible though...some milk is good while other milk is ok...pasteurized milk has issues while raw milk is better. Some people have issues with raw milk if its A1 some don't when its A2.

This is the same thing as the salt. Milk is a MIXTURE of stuff. You could have some bad stuff in there, or maybe you're leaving some good stuff out...or more of thing or less of another thing...or pasteurization kills the good stuff off, or whatever. Mixtures are messy and complicated.

But H. pylori is H. pylori. It is not a mixture. There isn't bad stuff mixed in or good stuff left out. There is only ONE THING there, and it's eating your stomach lining. The mixture concept doesn't apply. Please consider getting tested for H. Pylori to see if antibiotics will help you. Yes, I know MDA is supposed to hate antibiotics because they screw up your gut flora or whatever. But what good is it to have good gut bugs if the ulcer isn't letting you use them?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    This is the same thing as the salt. Milk is a MIXTURE of stuff. You could have some bad stuff in there, or maybe you're leaving some good stuff out...or more of thing or less of another thing...or pasteurization kills the good stuff off, or whatever. Mixtures are messy and complicated.

But H. pylori is H. pylori. It is not a mixture. There isn't bad stuff mixed in or good stuff left out. There is only ONE THING there, and it's eating your stomach lining. The mixture concept doesn't apply. Please consider getting tested for H. Pylori to see if antibiotics will help you. Yes, I know MDA is supposed to hate antibiotics because they screw up your gut flora or whatever. But what good is it to have good gut bugs if the ulcer isn't letting you use them?
    And on the bright side... a new set of healthy gut flora is pretty easy to recultivate with probiotics after the antibiotic medication has done it's job beating back the bad bugs so that your stomach can heal.

It's a bit of a give and take process.
    Getting new healthy flora started post treatment is important in preventing recurrences.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe I was imagining reading that there was such a thing as good H.pylori...oh well..I don't have it by the way..or I'm pretty sure I don't. No ulcer issues or anything...not sure what I said to make someone think that...oh well.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs