Page 410 of 415 FirstFirst ... 310360400408409410411412 ... LastLast
Results 4,091 to 4,100 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 410

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkward View Post
    Wait, you looked at that post and came away thinking that PaleoBird's tone is the problem? Did you not see the posts from Grizz that she was responding to? Is Grizz supposed to be able to say whatever, and no one is to respond? This is truly bizarro world.
    Yeah I'm not sure I agree that Paleobird's comments are completely out of line. I suppose you could say they just add fuel to the fire...but looks like Grizz is already gone...so maybe a moot point. I don't know...sigh

I know...weak post lol.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    It's like Vitamin A, you NEED it... but there is such thing as too much. Especially when it comes to taking it in unnatural, concentrated, pill form.
    That's my position, and I've used scientific journal articles to back it up...
    Just like Grizz and others believe in the "Brownstein Potocol", though they don't back it up with science very well, and generally are reduced to shouting "Troll" when asked to...
    I agree with this wrt iodine and any other supplement. The natural form is easier to absorb and utilize for the body and much less likely to throw other things out of whack and just about impossible to OD on something mother nature intended us to eat.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Bromide Intoxication

Surprisingly, salt alone can help detoxify the bromides. This explains Dr. Brownstein's required supplement of salt every day and his Salt Flush for detox symptoms. We thank Wombat at the Curezone for digging up this valuable wisdom from the past.

Salt Loading Dramatically Accelerates the Eliminatiom of Bromides
    The most important element of treatment is cessation of bromide exposure. Additional treatment of bromide toxicity has traditionally involved saline loading (administration of large quantities of sodium chloride in water, typically by vein), which enhances kidney excretion of bromide. The chloride ion from sodium chloride competes with and replaces the bromide ion throughout the body. WHILE THE USUAL HALF-LIFE OF BROMIDE (the time for half of the body's complement of bromide to be eliminated) IS 12-14 DAYS (Horowitz, 1997), A HALF-LIFE OF 65 HOURS HAS BEEN CALCULATED WITH SALINE LOADING.
    DETOX~ ADJUNCT PROTOCOLS~ What is the purpose of salt-loading? Nutrition > Supplements and Products > Iodine and Orthoiodosupplementation FAQ

Grizz
    Great stuff! That seals the deal for me. I'm going to make sure that I do the salt loading first thing in the morning, an hour or 2 before my iodine. I don't know if the comment by Monica999 that it increases bromide elimination 10 fold is backed up by anything, but Savegrace's story of his receptionist is enough to convince me that the salt is what I've been missing.
    I've got the good pink himalayan stuff.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Can't you get too much Chloride too? I mean is it better to have extra Chloride floating around rather than bromine..or bromide whatever form its in floating around.

So we're talking about the sodium and chloride splitting up and the chloride replaces the bromide ...so you are replacing one thing with another ...this is better? Hmm...

So complicated...!
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 07-30-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oh, cori, you probably couldn't eat these SeaSnax that I got recently. That sucks. I love salty things too. When you get all this cleared up, you should try them. They have 40mg sodium per pack.

The Sea Tangle noodles have 35mg per serving (and the serving size is realistic).

Just how restricted does your diet need to be? Did the doctors give you a particular number to stay under?
    Bare minimum!
    The minimum requirement for sodium consumption is about 500mg/day.
    I try to keep it in the range 500-750 mg.
    Most of that is found naturally in foods.
    I've tracked it enough to know that it is really easy to hit that mark even with no additive 'salt'.
    If I'm not eating many of the foods that I know have a good natural sodium content, I use a scant pinch of natural sea salt.

1500mg is just less than a tsp... so a pinch covers it...
    In the scale of food consumption the seasnax and sea tangle noodles wouldn't be too bad. As long as I was watching other sources, though I tend to not worry about natural sodium quite as much as additive sodium.
    Most shellfish would be like hitting me in the head with a sledge hammer though.

I may just have to order up some of the noodles and give them a shot.
    The seasnax look like an open invitation for me to have a very happy 'too much munching' time ATM.
    I also love kale chips... but I like them with some saltiness.

Honestly though... when I eat more sodium it makes things go bad pretty quickly... my intracranial pressure rises and squishes my brain and my whole body becomes a very unhappy place.
    So I tend to self-regulate AWAY from sodium really well.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I have a serious brain pressure problem... any type of sodium causes fluid retention producing major problems. The biggest seafood issue is with mollusks and crustaceans... those are just naturally higher in sodium even if you can find them completely unprocessed (Which is darn near impossible for shrimp, scallops, and squid, much to my dismay.)
    Fish isn't such a problem since I'm in FL and can get fresh, wild caught, pretty easily... but due to the medical problems I cannot drive... so I don't get to the fresh fish market very often. Sea veg are also naturally high in sodium...
    As far as salt types... all salt is sodium chloride, some just has the benefit of having the extra minerals in it, and leaving out silly the additives. For the tiny, minimal about of salt that I do use... not much as I get most of my sodium intake naturally from food... I do use either Pink Himalayan or Grey sea salt. I only use that if my daily intake from foods is very low... and then only a very small pinch. I'm not supposed to consume any other type of sodium either such as baking soda, msg, etc.
    I have to be very careful to not eat anything pre-seasoned and packaged, or "dipped" as they do with seafood (sodium tripolyphosphate). Hopefully I will get it resolved soon... I've been at this a year, been to some crappy docs, but have some good ones now... and will probably have a corrective surgery soon. (Just saw my Neurosurgeon today.)
    After that... I'm hoping my plate will be more open to the stuff I really want to eat! Fresh seafood has been sorely missed by me for a while now. I also think that getting more iodine from natural foods makes sense... if you eat seafoods and sea veg there is no need to take a bunch of supplements along with the Iodine... it's already in there!
    Right now, since I have such a low salt intake and low seafood intake (basically zero iodine source in my diet) I supplement a moderately low amount of Lugols. 1, sometimes 2 drops of 5% Lugols per week in water that I take a little swig of daily. Mostly one drop per week... but on occasion two drops have landed in the cup because I'm unsteady and I just went with it.
    Cori,
    All the joking & merry making is fun of course. But I will definitely keep you in my thoughts & send you the best wishes for strength, health & happiness. I know that someday, some way, you'll find your own cure zone. Glad you are here!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Paleobird Guest
    The SeaSnax even have a warning right on the package that says, "Strangely Addictive". I love to munch them while reading this thread. They are the new popcorn for me.

[[[[[[Hugs]]]]]] I hope the old noggin feels better soon. I hate it when my brain doesn't behave (has seizures).

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I hope the old noggin feels better soon. I hate it when my brain doesn't behave (has seizures).
    Unbelievably, I just came back here after reading this: Potassium Bromide to treat seizures in dogs

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Saying Curezone can't be trusted is ridiculous.
    If even the questioners of iodine are labeled trolls and filtered out, then what else is being filtered out? I don't know... because it's filtered out. There's enough evidence that Megadoses of iodine is not lethal, but that's about all I know. 2 mg is about 1 big piece of seaweed. I figure that's enough.

I hope that Lynne F comes back to lend some sanity. She's pro-megadose but she seemed to be able to back things up.

As for salt loading, my blood pressure went up 20 points in a month. I'm not going to continue with it.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    Unbelievably, I just came back here after reading this: Potassium Bromide to treat seizures in dogs
    Interesting. Thank you, Radialhead.